bigger chainring?

The main problem with running a 38t sprocket would be how to take up the slack in the chain when you drop back down to 22t as the chain would need to be considrably longer which would definitely cause a problem, ideally you want to run 18-15 and I'm afraid you'll have to just face the fact that getting from A-B will take a while!

Is this a street bike?

Pumping up your tyres will get you places much faster, and you can just let the air out when you get to the spot you want (if you run low pressures). Obviously getting home is still slow.

But you will get used to getting about with the low ratio though, its much better to just ride it the way people normally set them up until you have most of the moves down and are confident otherwise you may inadvertently hinder your progress by trying to mess with the gear ratio (its quite important).

No stick to something made for trials. I'd just leave it as is for now until you are sure you want to be spending money on it then go for some new (or 2nd hand) cranks with an 18t sprocket. Then probably change the bars for some risers and you should be alright after that for a while.

Not going to help him gain any speed it's just a more suitable ratio for a 26". Just so you know I know what bike it is he's referring to so I know the current setup of it.

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoo-Pitbull-26-Trials-Bike-/161058531008?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item257fd626c0&nma=true&si=MoRRrbnOh23q9q99l%252BVrytdo2D4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_484wt_1172

Yea, he mentioned it was 26, but also that he wanted a harder gearing... You're not wrong obviously, but you're also not answering the question he asked.

In summary, run 18:15 because it's a trials bike. If you want to ignore that and have a faster gear, just change to a 14 or 13 on the back.

Wow info overload! Gear ratio is crucial then... i want to ride to work n back cuz im just not fit any more! Build up some stamina n that kind of thing (missus dont complain though) was thinking of my back when i thought of carbon parts, light is king! The description read like the crank was poo. I really dont mind taking a smaller chainring with me when im out being a trials god.lol. whats the lightest cranks? N where do i get them?new carbon riser bars coming, another eBay moment.

Wow info overload! Gear ratio is crucial then... i want to ride to work n back cuz im just not fit any more! Build up some stamina n that kind of thing (missus dont complain though) was thinking of my back when i thought of carbon parts, light is king! The description read like the crank was poo. I really dont mind taking a smaller chainring with me when im out being a trials god.lol. whats the lightest cranks? N where do i get them?new carbon riser bars coming, another eBay moment.

When you say light is king what kind of figure do you have in mind? If you're from mtb background then most trials bikes will seem light, even the ones considered heavy in the trials world will seem light.

I rode bmx in the early 90's till 03-04ish. Then worked in refrig doin 80+ hrs a week with a young family I had no time to ride. Now its use it or lose it cuz I'm mid thirties n feeling f*kt! I want 'light' to offset my lack of fitness. I did look at the suggested cranks ect and also the hub. Trials is not a poor mans sport I'll say that!

Pump up the tyres. Fit a 14t or 13t cog on the rear hub.

I ride my bike with 24" wheels and 18x14 gears

Knobbly wide tyres, over a mile to work daily.

I get up early and give myself an hour so I can ride trials on the way to work. Makes the distance seem less

Pump up the tyres. Fit a 14t or 13t cog on the rear hub.

I ride my bike with 24" wheels and 18x14 gears

Knobbly wide tyres, over a mile to work daily.

I get up early and give myself an hour so I can ride trials on the way to work. Makes the distance seem less

Yep that's what I'm gonna have to do, only get up five hours early cuz I work about five miles from home:(

Put some street tyres on then. And pedal to the medal.

You should get at least ten miles an hour out of a trial bike. So five miles in half an hour. Not too bad.

Get a disc on the front too all those miles on rim brakes will cost a fortune in brake pads

http://s1362.photobucket.com/albums/r700/picciesofhappiness/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2013-07-16-21-02-16_zps30ea5c6f.png

U missed the whole "I'm f*kt" need exercise bit bud. So after all the recomemdations I've looked around and found a bike with the bits to at least make it lighter check it out it would owe me 250 if I get it