Onza pro problems

butterztrials123

I received my onza pro 2013 yesterday from tartybikes. Quick delivery as always with tarty. I assembled the bike and had no problems with that except the right pedal didn't go on as smoothly as the left one. I didn't heed it though an took it for a ride and all seemed fine and i thought the bike was fantastic. Today i took it for another ride and it seemed as good as yesterday, untill i noticed the pedal moved i took the pedal off to have a look and noticed the right crank arm threads were stripped. I was really disappointed as I loved the bike. I emailed both tarty and onza, even though i think the problem is that the crank thread is made of aluminium and the pedals are made of steel and aluminium is soft and steel is hard so the pedals stripped the threads.

It's pretty common. You cross threaded the pedal. It's not usually covered under warranty or returns by any bike shops or online shops.

You will need to buy a new crank.

Tarty bikes will have cranks in stock just send them an email, they may ask for pictures.

I think it was user error in the sense of not making sure the pedals were tight throughout the duration of the ride. Im almost certain that Tartybikes' website gives warning that pedals should be checked for tightness every 30 mins or something like that, but I could be wrong.

It does however, say this in the 'Additional Information' section of every full bike's page:

"Please ensure all the details on the warranty sheet supplied with the bike are adhered to. Certain circumstances (such as stripped threads or rounded crank arm tapers) only occur due to a lack of correct maintenance and all manufacturers are aware of these situations, so any claims due to incorrect maintenance procedures are much less likely to be successful."

Found here: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_trials_bikes/onza_pro_2013/c10p11661.html?tab=additional_information#box

They got the little crank/pedal stickers printed (that would've been on your cranks when you got the bike) largely because this is what happens if you don't keep the pedals tight at first. They can come loose after you ride for a bit, and if they aren't nipped up again it eventually strips the threads. That's why it's also mentioned in the warranty sheet, and in the additional info bit.

Ok so the cause could have been that there is a shite burr on the pedal thread or that hasn't got a full form and depth of thread. But you may also have cross threaded it like every one will tell you.

But the fact that you felt it wasn't screwing in so freely as the other is the problem.

You shouldn't have forced it in.

Did you use any grease ?

It's really hard without seeing both parts and seri g how tight it was to tell. But you will have little to no chance of getting a replacement crank as that's always an easy way out.

Its worth posting up some pictures of the parts and if the material came out on the pedal in a coil/spring like shape put a pic of that.

When you do get a new crank and there may actually be a problem with the pedal thread be sure to take cause to avoid that happening again.

Ok so the cause could have been that there is a shite burr on the pedal thread or that hasn't got a full form and depth of thread. But you may also have cross threaded it like every one will tell you.

But the fact that you felt it wasn't screwing in so freely as the other is the problem.

You shouldn't have forced it in.

Did you use any grease ?

It's really hard without seeing both parts and seri g how tight it was to tell. But you will have little to no chance of getting a replacement crank as that's always an easy way out.

Its worth posting up some pictures of the parts and if the material came out on the pedal in a coil/spring like shape put a pic of that.

When you do get a new crank and there may actually be a problem with the pedal thread be sure to take cause to avoid that happening again.

I didn't "force it in" it just didn't go in as smoothly as the other one

Tarty bikes replied to my emailed and told me why it happened and said they will fix it for £10 If send it, I think it's a fair deal so I'll probably do that. It was because I should have tightened the pedal before I rode first time

Edited by butterztrials123