Need some medical advice

Laurence--Trials

I've sprained my right ankle twice in my whole time riding which isn't too bad it guess but the second time was about two and a half months ago and it's still very swollen and feels like it's going to snap a lot of the time. Could anyone suggest some exercises for me to do to strengthen it up?

I've sprained my right ankle twice in my whole time riding which isn't too bad it guess but the second time was about two and a half months ago and it's still very swollen and feels like it's going to snap a lot of the time. Could anyone suggest some exercises for me to do to strengthen it up?

Go to a Doctor. It might not be a sprain. It could be misplaced cartilage, tendon damage (i.e. torn) or bruised bones...any multitude of things. We've got the NHS, use it.

2 1/2 month sprain??! That's not a sprain bud, go the docs.

A sprain can easily last 2 1/2 months. Depends on the severity and the location.

Can it?http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/sprains/Pages/treatment.aspx I'd expect that pain and swelling after 10 weeks wouldn't be any kind of sprain.

Yes, yes it can. From your link:

Recovery

The length of time it takes to recover from a sprain or strain depends on how severe it is.

Generally, after an ankle sprain you will probably be able to walk one to two weeks after the injury. You may be able to use your ankle fully after six to eight weeks and you will probably be able to return to sporting activities after eight to 12 weeks.

Where does it say fully healed in 12 weeks without recurring problems?

Also if we're being pedantic I said "A sprain can easily last 2 1/2 months", which is exactly what it says above, surely there's nothing to dispute. Also I have made my comments based on personal experience, information and diagnosis from surgeons and funnily enough the website you so helpfully quoted. It wasn't just an assumption.

Doctor will give you a referral to physio. Gonna be another month before they contact you. So get £30/40/50 and go see a private one for some fast help if inpatient and just explain the deal if the doctor wasn't enough help. They should be able to give some decent advice which a doctor couldn't give with half hour, cause that's all your gonna get for that money.

Sometimes rest can be wrong thing todo with injuries, get it checked out.

12 months ago I hurt my shoulders at the gym but kept working out over the next month until it was too painful to do so. I had surgery on my left 2 weeks ago and when it's recovered in 6-12 months time I'll be having my right done.

7 months ago I went over on my ankle 30 mins into a boxing class. I kept on my feet for the remaining 1 1/2 hours of the session instead of resting it and it's still slightly swollen and has a reduced range of movement.

Basically don't be a dickhead like me and think injuries will heal while you carry on as normal. Don't do anything that makes it painful and see a doctor soon who will most likely refer you to a physio. If you sprain something then remember Rest Ice Compression and Elevation. Also taking ibuprofen helps as it is an anti inflammatory aswell as painkiller.

Message Simon Lord on facebook, he's helped me SO much. I sprained my ankle a year ago, then twice in a row just before I f**ked it up on a drunken night out about 6 weeks ago now.

Put a picture up on Facebook thinking nothing of it, was working etc. Got a message from Simon saying how bad it looked. Ended up going to hospital and it was a lot worse than I expected, it happened to be a fractured fibula and damaged ligaments, I was told to rest for 6 weeks with the use of crutches. I'm at week 5 now. After next week I'll be slowly building my way back to riding the bike again. I also bought an Aircast Sports ankle brace for £45, haven't used it yet but from having a good look at it, it's a worthy investment.

Message me on Facebook if you wanna know any more info.