Modern Geo vs Old Geo

Skorp

Hi!

I started riding trials in 2004, and i started on +0mm bb height on a 26" Racingcode. After that i tried from 10-65mm bb heights. imo, i cant really find any advantage of using a high bb bike, other than standing on the rear wheel, and hooks. Other than that i feel low bb bikes have the advantage? Gaps, rolling over stuff, balance, taps and even sidehops ( Altough to be stable on the rear wheel is sometimes very important, so a high bb frame might be better)
Also in comps, i see everyone backhopping over small rocks, sidehopping up 25" stuff etc.. Why not just ride over stuff, or use a zap tap on small stuff you can get your front wheel onto?

What do you other guys say?

Edited by Skorp

Lower bb stocks do generally feel a bit nicer, I think the wheels are a bit too big to try and feel really flicky on the back wheel. I don't ride stock though.

Mods feel pretty awesome with a high bb, as they're tiny and just backhop and sidehop anyway, so why not make doing those as easy as possible, by having a +70 or more bb height. 24"s are the same, still feel flickier than a stock but more stable than a mod. :)

The way comps are being set out now there's less and less opportunity to simply roll stuff unless you're on the lower classes, even blue sections are starting to be made with a lot of static moves.

When I started riding years ago using adapted mountain bikes I didn't really know much about how the different geometry of things affected how a bike rode but from the bikes I've had since I got back into trials, as far as 26" goes, I seem to prefer something around +40-50mm at the most.

• Like 1

ive been in the same boat too, now on a +70 26" limey 4. and to be honest, other than taps and bunnyhops, everything is better on the high bb bikes. including rolling gaps.remember its not the bike, its how you choose to ride it.

this is coming from a guy who used to ride a leeson many moons ago and an 06 (+10bb) control for yearsssssss

Hmm yeah, the Expert class here in norway allowes alot of "riding" over stuff if you want. Altough, 95% of the competitors will choose to sidehop it to rear, or backhop over which is imo alot harder.
I'm trying out more comps next year with +25bb height and see how it works out :)

I saw better riders than me get more dabs, just because they took the "hard way" while i just rolled over stuff..
I've also seen some british Expert comp vids, alot of backwheel hopping over small rocks, roots, low stuff etc there aswell :) Just the way trials is now..

As mentioned before in this thread, this only works in lower classes, Elite needs to have a bike that's stable on the rear wheel. Expert needs something in between.
My experience from a few comps, and as a observer is that people tend to do it harder for themselves. Both when it comes to using energy, and using "difficult" techniques on small obstacles.

Edited by Skorp

Another thing to bare in mind with comps over here is that some of the lower down stuff is aimed at youngsters going to bash which works fine on a small 20" with a bashplate but a bigger bike with a bashring doesn't quite work it the same. I remember last year at a comp there was quite a pointy rock which as I said most of the smaller riders on 20's could roll up to bash then slowly edge over the top. I tried this on my 26" Echo Pure and because of the extra angle caused by having bigger wheels I literally went over the bars as I tried to lift my back wheel over! The second time around I went to rear on it and got over fine.

Isitafox; Im thinking about the small stuff thats between the actual obstacles. ie. roots and rocks.

In the hurry, i could only find one guy riding Expert routes on youtube, he did it properly and had his wheels planted to the ground as i like, even with a high bb 24"

I ride a mod and it's more than just a pogo stick. There's a preconceived idea that if you ride a certain bike then you must ride a certain way when, in reality, it's been proven numerous times that it doesn't matter. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I ride a mod and it's more than just a pogo stick. There's a preconceived idea that if you ride a certain bike then you must ride a certain way when, in reality, it's been proven numerous times that it doesn't matter. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.

In the riding style i'm talking about, its not possible to use a mod.

If i had rough terrain, i will allways ride over it with my 26".. But on a mod, the wheels is just to small and you lose to much momentum and balance. I would rather pogostick over a rockgarden, than to ride over one on a mod. (I have had mod for approx 2years, same style.. did not work out very well for me.)

Can I just ask, what is all this bb rise talk as if you handle bars and stem are in a fixed position?

High bb is great aslong as you get the correct hand position. You can't expect to raise the bb by 50mm and keep your hands were they are.

I rode a high bb stock (70+) for almost a year and changed for a Echo Control 09 (30+) with the bikes set up accordingly for both, 'correct' stems etc. and even though the echo had less control on the rear wheel i find it a much nicer bike to ride overall,

I dont really see why everyone is going high bb and i wish companies were still making frames with a lower height, i enjoy watching people with older geometry bikes ride more than new as well, seems to flow better in general

• Like 1

I rode a high bb stock (70+) for almost a year and changed for a Echo Control 09 (30+) with the bikes set up accordingly for both, 'correct' stems etc. and even though the echo had less control on the rear wheel i find it a much nicer bike to ride overall,

I dont really see why everyone is going high bb and i wish companies were still making frames with a lower height, i enjoy watching people with older geometry bikes ride more than new as well, seems to flow better in general

I totally agree with you. That's why I choose street-trials over modern highBB bike. On modern geo all you can enjoy is static rear wheel moves but my interests not limited only by static moves, so I prefer old geo/street-trials .

Too low bb will make your style worse again, im talking abot 10mm or lower. Then you can see the rider struggle with holding the balance on the rear wheel.

Dave: My handlebar position is correct. I ride with Syntace VRO handlebar/stem system, so i can adjust it to my liking :)

Too low bb will make your style worse again, im talking abot 10mm or lower. Then you can see the rider struggle with holding the balance on the rear wheel.

Dave: My handlebar position is correct. I ride with Syntace VRO handlebar/stem system, so i can adjust it to my liking :)

Hmm maybe correct for you if where it feels comfortable, which may not be the case for themist effective position.

Every thing has benifits and negatives, you can't have it all so you must find the compromise

• Like 1