New rear rim / old spokes?

freetrial

It's ok to use old spokes (when length is not an issue) so long as you don't de-lace the whole wheel. Changing a rim is easy, you tape it to the old wheel and start moving spokes over one by one, one side at a time.

Sorry to jump in here but could you talk me through this slightly more in depth (can PM me if it's easier) as I'll be doing it myself on Tuesday night.

When you swap the spokes over how much do you tighten them up??

Sorry to jump in here but could you talk me through this slightly more in depth (can PM me if it's easier) as I'll be doing it myself on Tuesday night.

When you swap the spokes over how much do you tighten them up??

Like Adam said. Just make sure you tape the new rim in the correct position:

- spoke hole offset in the correct direction

- valve stem hole in the same place

I think that if you use the valve stem as a reference you needn't worry about spoke offset but I'd double check that.

When you swap the spokes over don't tighten them too much (2 rotations will be fine). After you finish, carry on like with any wheel build. It's really easy, you'll get the hang of it instantly.

It's ok to use old spokes (when length is not an issue) so long as you don't de-lace the whole wheel. Changing a rim is easy, you tape it to the old wheel and start moving spokes over one by one, one side at a time.

I've just swapped a rim over on my mod, I de laced the whole wheel and rebuilt it with fresh nipples, and so far after a month of riding I have only had to true a mild wobble out, and it took 2mins. Mind you it is a tryall rim on a monty hub with 36h and 4x both sides. It's bombproof. And suprisingly light

Being as it doesn't take too long to completely delace the wheel and build it back up again, I'd probably take the opportunity to give the hub and spokes a nice bit of TLC before building it up. Seems a bit lazy to just swap a new rim on without giving the other bits some attention, but then again I don't get through many bits so when I do it's a novelty.

Being as it doesn't take too long to completely delace the wheel and build it back up again, I'd probably take the opportunity to give the hub and spokes a nice bit of TLC before building it up. Seems a bit lazy to just swap a new rim on without giving the other bits some attention, but then again I don't get through many bits so when I do it's a novelty.

This, it takes a fair bit of time to delace and it's very boring. But it means you can get rid of those shitty bits of dirt between your spokes and on bits of your hub you can't normally reach. Which I find pretty satisfying

This, it takes a fair bit of time to delace and it's very boring. But it means you can get rid of those shitty bits of dirt between your spokes and on bits of your hub you can't normally reach. Which I find pretty satisfying

I wouldn't sacrifice well seated spokes for the opportunity to remove some dirt. It probably makes no difference in practice but it's mechanically unsound if you catch my drift.