Crankset installation

onzatpro09

Hi, I've got a silly question that has been bugging me.

I have an onza genesis, and it developed a creaky bottom bracket area. After a while it became necessary to change the bb, but after I did it continued creaking. Then I changed the cranks, freewheel and pedals, but still it creaks.

I now have a zoot that I put a full crankset on, and to my surprise it creaked. It was all completely new trialtech and tryall bits too, so no flimsy rubbish.

My question: Does anybody else get this? I will be riding down my street, creaking with every pedal stroke and I get horrible thoughts that it is just going to snap or something stupid. How can I stop this? Am I fitting it all wrong? Could I have a detailed step by step so I can compare my method to yours? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance, Joe.

Edited by onzatpro09

My trialtech cranks and bb did this on my old limey 3. The cranks are a very tight fit on the bb, and a a b*****d to get tight. Like Dave says, use plenty of coppaslip, and proper tighten everything up.

Hi, I've got a silly question that has been bugging me.

I have an onza genesis, and it developed a creaky bottom bracket area. After a while it became necessary to change the bb, but after I did it continued creaking. Then I changed the cranks, freewheel and pedals, but still it creaks.

I now have a zoot that I put a full crankset on, and to my surprise it creaked. It was all completely new trialtech and tryall bits too, so no flimsy rubbish.

My question: Does anybody else get this? I will be riding down my street, creaking with every pedal stroke and I get horrible thoughts that it is just going to snap or something stupid. How can I stop this? Am I fitting it all wrong? Could I have a detailed step by step so I can compare my method to yours? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance, Joe.

Regarding cranks, it's not a case of fitting and forgetting, you need to check them before every ride and durring for the first couple of weeks.

It's important to keep them tight but not to tight that you damage the splines.

The material is softer when new and it takes time for it to work harden.

If you keep them tight at first after a couple of weeks they will stay tight, but if you ride them slack you will damage the splines and they will be mis shaped and constantly creek.