2014 Isle Of Man TT

Ali C

I've always wanted to go to this and I've met a girl who is into it and moto GP (Guy Martin is her hero).

I'm looking into tickets and I know nothing about the event so I'm wondering if anyone has been before and has any recommendations?

I see the normal tickets are pretty cheap which is cool but are any of the VIP ones worth looking at? There's one at £180 which seems cool as if gives you access to places and the chance of bumping into the racers (I think she'd go nuts if there was a chance of meeting Guy). But if they are a waste of money I'll not bother.

Also what date is it? The vip one just says "monday or Saturday" but not an actual clear date.

I'll be driving over in the van and I thought it would save money by sleaping in it (romantic eh?)

Any other tips or advice would be great, cheers :)

Hi Ali

As far as I know the TT is over two weeks 1st Practice and then 2nd race week. Its free to spectate anywhere except if you want grandstand seats or other packages. Been over working there just before it all kicks off and the atmosphere was building. Was in the same hotel as the huge Honda squad a few years back. Its on my bucket list. Moto GP know nothing. PS book your ferry asap as its pretty hard to get places, we were lucky as we used the skybird from Glasgow.

If I was you Ali, I'd take her to the Manx gp/classic Tt festival instead in August. It's a lot more relaxed, all the top stars ride in the classic race, it's a bit cheaper and 10 times less Germans wobbling round on old British bikes. The Tt isn't the same anymore since they dropped 2 strokes off the race entry. I've been to the Manx gp twice and it's awesome. Best Places for me to go watch were greeba castle and creg-ne-baa. Glen Helen is pretty good as well. The creg is good cos it's an ace pub, and you get to see them blast down past kates cottage, round the creg and down the straight

My dad raced in the Manx senior gp in '68, didn't win anything, didn't come last, did finish and didn't crash :)

Before you go, you must watch the George Formby film 'No Limits' :D

I've designed several of the sewage works on the island, not that out should impact massively on your visit :D

She sounds cool, mate! Very good plan on something a bit more interesting to do.

I can't really input much other than 'i'd love to go' but bing's classic idea's not half bad. See what she'd enjoy more, I reckon both would be pretty sweet.

Nothing more romantic than shagging in the back of a van and watching a race where the chances are you're probably going to see someone die (Y)

Exactly right?

Cheers for the tips guys, I wanted to surprise her with the tickets but she will know more about it than me so it might be best to ask her which she wants to go to. I'll just draw some fake tickets then let her book/buy/organise it ;)

• Like 2

I might* be able to help and shed some light on any particulars if you want Ali?

I'd say visit come over for a TT at least once, because the general atmosphere is totally different and somewhat mad compared the Manx. There's a huuuuuge difference in visitor numbers and the sheer amount of bikes on the roads. But on the other hand, it might be easier to ride around when there's less people on the course during the Manx GP.

*I'm generally oblivious to things around me