Body Position on bike.

Jake.

Been looking at how people stand on their bikes, and noticed some people stand so straight, some a bit hunched etc. And wondering if there's a correlation between bb height/stem and how tall you are.

This is mine, 60bb frame, 120x20 stem, 5'10 tall.

bodyposition1_zps1ebe1e81.png

What's yours?

I've questioned myself this several time and it often just comes down to how you feel the most comfortable.

I can stand in many different ways on my bike and feel the same.

I ride an echo 24 and I'm super short :)

The only thing that really changes my position is when I roll the bars forward to test, but I just ultimately come back to a normal position, you know upsweep actually pointing up.

See I don't get how you stand so insanely straight on the bike, surely the taller you are the more arched your back would be??

Sorta wish I stood like that on the bike.

dunno pal I just started off forcing it and now I cant do it any other way

I'm insanely jealous of Joe mahers posture on bikes but then again I'm sure he is around the mid 5ft range?

I don't get how you can put power down with a bent back, none of your upper body would be functioning in a mechanically powerful way if I'm correct?

I cant even work out why you look so sketch on your frame, I was thinking you are either quad or ham imbalanced but its just impossible to tell. Certainly all your power comes from your legs and your torso just follows, try and not me as much of a crackhead on a bike or something i have no idea

dunno pal I just started off forcing it and now I cant do it any other way

I'm insanely jealous of Joe mahers posture on bikes but then again I'm sure he is around the mid 5ft range?

I don't get how you can put power down with a bent back, none of your upper body would be functioning in a mechanically powerful way if I'm correct?

I cant even work out why you look so sketch on your frame, I was thinking you are either quad or ham imbalanced but its just impossible to tell. Certainly all your power comes from your legs and your torso just follows, try and not me as much of a crackhead on a bike or something i have no idea

This led me to a google search which led to this... http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/493923-quad-ham-muscle-imbalance.html

"Cyclists' bodies are notoriously imbalanced from hours of hunching forward . . causing tight quads and hip flexors, weak glutes and hamstrings . . . and the aches and pains that come with these disparities. . . . Stretch your quads, hip flexors, etc. . . . Strengthen the backside of your body" - and it gives a specific exercise using a fitness ball. (Page 35, Jan/Feb 2009)

Maybe from my early track days it could have caused me issues in terms of muscle balance? Never actually thought of this...

This led me to a google search which led to this... http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/493923-quad-ham-muscle-imbalance.html

"Cyclists' bodies are notoriously imbalanced from hours of hunching forward . . causing tight quads and hip flexors, weak glutes and hamstrings . . . and the aches and pains that come with these disparities. . . . Stretch your quads, hip flexors, etc. . . . Strengthen the backside of your body" - and it gives a specific exercise using a fitness ball. (Page 35, Jan/Feb 2009)

Maybe from my early track days it could have caused me issues in terms of muscle balance? Never actually thought of this...

https://www.youtube.com/user/strengthcamp/videos

keep scrolling and click on everything that seems beneficial, maybe worth contacting him or his athletics friend Chris explaining the deal with some video links

I think the sketchiness comes from lack of practice, with some time on the bike it'll go away as you'll have more control over what you do.

Regarding the position Jake though, yours looks super good I don't know why you'd want to change it.

You are using a relatively low short stem on a reasonably high BB bike. Something around the 150x30 range seems to be the norm for a frame like that, you're not exactly short either so i don't think the two combined will help if you feel uncomfortable on the bike.

The sketchiness just appears to be from pushing yourself to go high and further without really nailing the technique and getting the smaller stuff dialled before moving up in scale. I'd just get out more, ride as much as you can, just ride smaller stuff and try to get a bit more comfortable and controlled.

I went for physio recently because of a bad back, and it was caused by a muscle imbalance, he said my right hand side lower back muscles we're overworked and it was pulling me out of alignment, one shoulder lower than the other. Had to have a couple of weeks off and do stretches and back strengthening. I think I look really hunched up on my bike, I try post picture later.

I used to be pretty hunched on mod ( or so I though) me on an ice with 165x35 and highrisers

Ze4FlWE.png

But I haven't changed going to my echo 24 with 150x30 with high risers or even my 145x25 with high risers

fmSIaCG.png

I'm about 6'2 so I think having a bit of a hunch is kind of normal on any trials bike. Most riders seem to bend their back a bit, look at burkett and craig

CztC9TU.png

mb3TSde.png

Craig is a tall guy I hear and burkett is pretty small, both using low front ends (bb height varies though). I think a completely straight back looks really unnatural to be honest, lazenby is bent as f**k when he rides. If it bothers you jake work on standing up a bit straighter and like matt said it will be hard to do it any other way.

• Like 1