Cheap(ish) street disc brakes

HippY

a very last quick question

I will order Deore M615 and I need a new adapter.I have a 0 IS Frame mount, so a QM10 maggie ( link ) or a Formula ( link ) would be a good choice? which one would be the best?

Would it worth to spare £15 more for an M675 ?

Edited by UKHippY

Get a deore. I ran one for ages on many different bikes and it was epic. Bit of pad wobble but absolutely no complaints about power, bite and hold. Nearly as good as a saint with the right rotor

• Like 1

Get a deore. I ran one for ages on many different bikes and it was epic. Bit of pad wobble but absolutely no complaints about power, bite and hold. Nearly as good as a saint with the right rotor

what does the pad wobble means?

Is it like on maggies, so just incredibly noisy, or you feel the lever wobbling as well( like if you use a wobbly disc, and it pulses, if it makes sense) ?

The best budget disk are Deore if you ask me. Like Ali said, you get a but of pad wobble but it didn't bother me too much. I took mine straight off my hybrid and put it on my stock with the Avid 180 rotor that was on already and it was amazing from the off.

I don't have pad wobble as such now that I adjusted the lever, and no they are silent! Stealth like :P

I don't understand how adjusting your lever affected the pad wobble. Fair enough if it did like but I thought pad wobble was caused by the pads having room to move in the caliper.

• 3 weeks later...

little bump here as well

After I bend the front disc, I came to the relisation that I should get a new front system

I checked my budget, and it is around £75, £100 would be reeeeally tops

so

i need a disc and brake

Disc: RT66 or supplied with the brake

Brake choices:

Deore +RT66 at the rear it is surprisingly good and very very cheap

SLX M675+RT66: Good power, and I am really happy with Shimano in general

MT2+Storm rotor: I love the magura brakes feeling and with `14 HS33 I had good experiences

Avid Elixir 5= the Skye is equiped with it, it should not be that bad then

So I would go Deore minimum, but little bit more power and sharpness would come handier. Does it worth to upgrade, or a Deore should be fine for few rides per week and with small progressing?

For that money you could probably get a decent pair of Hopes or at the least get a front one and some Jitsie pads

used ones?

I do not want to go with hopes, unless they are easy to service(=eg, a guy who is completely retard with brakes) and good condition I would consider them as an option, but new brakes gets my priority

Seriously? I got a pair of Tech Trials (minus discs) for £100 before xmas and a Trial Zone which just needed a bleed for £30. If you're concerned about servicing then send them to Tarty or get whoever you buy one off to send it them first if it really needs it.

You'll get a better quality brake and will be saving money (and possibly teeth) in the long run.

so a Hope TrialZone/ Tech trial used with Jitsie pads is that better than a MT2/SLX?

I heard very very good things about Jitsie pads (HS33 like hold and bite)

The reason why I dont/did not want to go with them is they are expensive new and I do not really trust with used brakes. but it should be fine, if I can send them to tarty to sort them out, I fire up a wanted thread

about Zee: I am not sure if I would need it seeing as the £35 Deore is perfect for me on the rear. i am not a good rider and sadly I do not even progress quickly, so I think I might not need too expensive brakes, if that makes sense

Edited by HippY

Nope it doesn't make sense, basically you're saying that as you aren't a very good rider you don't need a brake which you can rely on?

so a Hope TrialZone/ Tech trial used with Jitsie pads is that better than a MT2/SLX?

Also, I sold my MT2 to fit a used Trial Zone with Jitsie pads and it's the best disc brake I've owned so far

no, basically I am saying that I am not a good rider, an SLX might be waay overpowered for me, and I am not sure if there would be a difference between the Zee

I do not know much thing about disc brakes, all I know, that Deore is good for me on the rear and I do not progress and dont ride too often.

Nope it doesn't make sense, basically you're saying that as you aren't a very good rider you don't need a brake which you can rely on?

Also, I sold my MT2 to fit a used Trial Zone with Jitsie pads and it's the best disc brake I've owned so far

No more question asked then :)

Edited by HippY

I am aware, that 4 pot huge power, but would i feel it use it?

Here I am not worried about the brakes, but about myself, as a casual rider I do not want to spend too much money on my bike, whereas I would not buy a serous gaming pc if I would play causal games

I am aware, that 4 pot huge power, but would i feel it use it?

To be honest, if you compare, ceteris paribus, a BR-M785 (which has the same stoping power as the BR-M675) with a BR-M640, the difference is only 8.2% in favor of the Zee.

In comparison, the difference between a 160 and a 180 rotor, using a BR-M785 is 13%.

Edited by niconj

Personally I think a powerful reliable brake is important no matter what level of rider you are (as long as you don't ride brakeless). I had more accidents due to dodgy brakes as a beginner because when they failed I couldn't control the fall as well as I do now.

• Like 1

Personally I think a powerful reliable brake is important no matter what level of rider you are (as long as you don't ride brakeless). I had more accidents due to dodgy brakes as a beginner because when they failed I couldn't control the fall as well as I do now.

that is the reason why I want to buy a decent New brake (retard friendly bolt on) as I want no dodgyness

I am just debating what would be too much for me.

Biking is my second hobby and I want something stable and realiable. it might not have the highest end equipment, that are suited to the good riders, but I am not a good rider either