Another hydro vs mechanics/brakes related thread

Clerictgm mk2

So I've bought some new Hope Tech 2 EVO M4 and they are crazy awesome! Yep, there are no servo wave that Ali can't live without, but I'm not so high-fed and after BB7 this is a divine brakes.

1) On same rotors (echo TR 180) they working absolutely fine, locking power is awesome. Absolutely no slipping.

2) Lever feels just amazing.

3) It works like AK47, you need to move lever only on 2mm to fully release the wheel. Total control.

4) Awesome modulation. Not a gross and bad like at BB7, it's much more linear and controllable.

And of course the look(and reliability in terms of leaking and they're just bombproof), 10 out of 10.

I also bought some Tech 3 V4 RED to compare them (new lever a bit differs from TECH 2 + V4 has another set of pistons 2x25+2x16).

What about Saints, I've found only pair of new M820 and as far as they're shit I did not buy them.

I love mech brakes but IMO hydro>mechanics. Much more.

For the first time in my life I'm totally SURE in my brakes.

Also bought some 203 SAW Floating rotors, don't know if they are good for trials and should I set them up?

post-37160-0-88881400-1411752393_thumb.j

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

Too much? Hopes are cheap. This is not a luxury car or something. And I will sell 2 pairs that I don't need after choosing one. Sell with a little markup so I don't lose anything anyway. About Saints I just want to know what so special in them. Every single rider says they are heavenly good.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

Well, the feel of the Saint 810 lever is certainly better than that of the Trialzones. Having said that I am very happy with my Hopes and wouldn't suggest buying Saints anymore even though the 810 calipers don't seem to brake like the newer 820/640 ones.

I think that the Hope Tech 3 lever feels better than the Race lever the Trialzone comes with so that might be a worthy upgrade. I've got one question though.

Hope states that the Tech 3 lever has 5% more power than the Tech 2 one. They also stated that the Race lever has a better hydraulic advantage than the Tech 2. Do the 5% add up to an equal hydraulic advantage or not?

About Saints I just want to know what so special in them.

I've ridden many peoples' bikes with Saints and dislike the lever feel - it's almost too light and then completely stops. This might really appeal to some people, but I don't like it.

They work exceptionally well - I can't argue with that - but no better than a well set up Hope/BB7.

The best part about them seems to be their longevity. Where Hopes tend to need a bit of love and care after a while, several people I know haven't touched their Saints for years and they're still amazing (which is fortunate as you can't get spare parts).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my m810s were by far and away the best brakes I've ever had on any bike. Especially with ice tech rotors. But after seeing the way hopes are made first hand, with love and pride, it'll be those when I can afford it

Well, the feel of the Saint 810 lever is certainly better than that of the Trialzones. Having said that I am very happy with my Hopes and wouldn't suggest buying Saints anymore even though the 810 calipers don't seem to brake like the newer 820/640 ones.

I think that the Hope Tech 3 lever feels better than the Race lever the Trialzone comes with so that might be a worthy upgrade. I've got one question though.

Hope states that the Tech 3 lever has 5% more power than the Tech 2 one. They also stated that the Race lever has a better hydraulic advantage than the Tech 2. Do the 5% add up to an equal hydraulic advantage or not?

5% even if it's true are irrelevant, because M4 has more than enough power for trials. I suggest that V4 are too much (even DH riders prefer M4/E4).

About lever, Tech2 EVO feels much comfier than Race/Trialzone. And adjustments are really good thing.

The only thing that may be bad at hope brakes - no servo wave, but, who cares?

Servo Wave seems to be not so attractive when you notice that saints are::

1) on mineral oil

2) less leakproof

3) has no spares

4) less bombproof http://spokemagazine.com/2010/04/07/hand-brake/

5) doesn't comes with braided hoses. (I personally don't want to ride trials without them. IMO it's better to have a little more weigh and forget about problems for years).

Don't use floating disks for trials. You'll end up with no teeth

Really? Ali riding ones.

And Fabio also riding with SAW floating.

Why they are bad for trials?

post-37160-0-40665900-1411761877_thumb.j

post-37160-0-87472100-1411761986_thumb.j

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

Ice techs aren't floating. It's an alloy spider with the disk firmly riveted to it, with no movement. Hope saw 'floating' rotors are motorbike style, with the steel outer attached to the alloy spider with button style rivets, so they float. And move, a lot like pad wobble. Upto you mate, but I wouldn't use hope floating rotors for trials, only hope solid rotors

• Like 1

the thing that bugs me about brakes without servo wave is how close the pads sit to the rotor, its near impossible to get the brake running without rubbing, especially once the bikes been ridden and crashed a few times. I've crashed bashed dropped and smashed my bike and my rotors are not perfectly straight but they still spin rub-free thanks to the extra space the servo wave gives.

What's wrong with Mineral oil too? I guess DOT might be good for you in the cold?

I love the quality of Hopes but they do seem very temperamental, They seem to get sticky pistons and glazed pads easier than Shimano's brakes. I can't stand how much pad wobble there is on their 4 pot brakes too (and they squeal like mad).

The only bad things with the Saint brakes is the lack of a split bar clamp and lack of spare parts.

Ice techs aren't floating. It's an alloy spider with the disk firmly riveted to it, with no movement. Hope saw 'floating' rotors are motorbike style, with the steel outer attached to the alloy spider with button style rivets, so they float. And move, a lot like pad wobble. Upto you mate, but I wouldn't use hope floating rotors for trials, only hope solid rotors

That's not true, they do the floating rotors in a light XC version and a tougher DH version, the DH one is fine for trials and there is no rotor movement. The XC ones are a bit too spindly for my liking though.

• Like 1

Yep, how can I forgot that icetech are really not floating, just 2-piece.

Only wobble are shitty for trials... well Then I'll try some other 203 if I don't get enough power from echo 180 when they are fully bed in.

Please do share where you buy them so cheap that you have 3 (sets?).

I bought them not cheap, in UK they are cheaper. I had in mind that they are cheap in comparison with some really expensive things like new luxury cars and real estate.

And as I said I don't lose a penny, even make some mini profit from this. Now I'm 99% sure I'll stick with M4 EVO GOLD, they looks so nice with my bike. And I prefer the brutal look of tech2 lever more than tech3.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

the thing that bugs me about brakes without servo wave is how close the pads sit to the rotor, its near impossible to get the brake running without rubbing, especially once the bikes been ridden and crashed a few times. I've crashed bashed dropped and smashed my bike and my rotors are not perfectly straight but they still spin rub-free thanks to the extra space the servo wave gives.

What's wrong with Mineral oil too? I guess DOT might be good for you in the cold?

I love the quality of Hopes but they do seem very temperamental, They seem to get sticky pistons and glazed pads easier than Shimano's brakes. I can't stand how much pad wobble there is on their 4 pot brakes too (and they squeal like mad).

The only bad things with the Saint brakes is the lack of a split bar clamp and lack of spare parts.

That's not true, they do the floating rotors in a light XC version and a tougher DH version, the DH one is fine for trials and there is no rotor movement. The XC ones are a bit too spindly for my liking though.

Arh right my bad, I've only ever had an Xc version. Cheers shag

5% even if it's true are irrelevant, because M4 has more than enough power for trials.

It's an official Hope statement so it should be true.

I don't doubt that the M4 has enough power for trials. What I am really interested in is whether it has pad play like the saint has. That's what amazes me about the Trialzones; there's no pad play whatsoever. Coming from a Saint (well Zee with 810levers) this is a huge improvement. What I really don't like is the flimsy lever of the Trialzones. The 810 on the other hand is really confidence inspiring. Oh and I really like the Servo Wave of Shimano brakes. Hope should offer sth. like this.

Edit: If you wanna try Saints I am selling my Zees with 810 levers and Goodridge braided hoses.

15153910788_8157e0b618_n.jpgSaint³ by niconj, on Flickr

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

I bought them not cheap, in UK they are cheaper. I had in mind that they are cheap in comparison with some really expensive things like new luxury cars and real estate.

And as I said I don't lose a penny, even make some mini profit from this. Now I'm 99% sure I'll stick with M4 EVO GOLD, they looks so nice with my bike. And I prefer the brutal look of tech2 lever more than tech3.

Of course they're f**king cheap if you're comparing them to cars and houses :glare:

• Like 2

So, M4 Tech 2 EVO are totally awesome with 203 Mono 6 SAW rotors. Don't know if they already bedded in fully but they are already insanely powerful (if they're not bedded in fully they would be even more powerful).

Oh my god, BB7@ECHO TR 180 feels like a toy brakes after hopes.

One light move of a finger and your rear is in air, no matter of body position/speed/anything.

It's like maggie with a good grind and TNNs but with modulation.

I'm even done my first up-to-front from bunnyhop(with shitty technique, done due to power of brakes) today.

You don't need to push lever as hard as on mechanics.

And that lever feel, I don't want to use mech brakes(and cheap hydro) anymore. Never.

Next I'll try some V4 TECH 3, V2 and want to find this freaking saints just to try them at least.

post-37160-0-15729800-1412175799_thumb.j

Edited by Clerictgm mk2