GU Typhoon brake setup problems?

I've recently bought myself a 26" GU typhoon after taking a long break from trials.

I've been tinkering around upgrading parts to get it fit for riding. But there's one problem I can't get past, and that's setting up the rear HS33. The 4 bolt clamps just won't adjust enough to allow the caliper and pad to come down far enough into the rim.

So I decided the slots in the magura clamps and the crappy rubber caliper clamp washer/thingy were shite and holding it off. I shopped around and everyone rated the TNN clamps, providing 8mm of adjustment as oppose to the 5mm with the Maggie clamps, and doing away with the washer by clamping the caliper square (providing the mounts were squared). But to my frustration the pad is still only just about on the rim and partially touching the tyre?!

Anyone know of a fix, as I'm sure this cannot be like this for all typhoons as there would complaints galore!

Cheers in advance

Ahhh I see! Will this still work even though the frame dropouts are vertical?

Nope, will be related to your frame/rim setup. The tnn mounts should make the adjustment you need if it's only slightly touching. You could even try putting washers on the allen bolts so you aren't stuck with the adjustment within the groove on the maggy mounts.

Nope, will be related to your frame/rim setup. The tnn mounts should make the adjustment you need if it's only slightly touching. You could even try putting washers on the allen bolts so you aren't stuck with the adjustment within the groove on the maggy mount

so am i right in saying a washer under the allen key bolt head so that i can adjust it to the shank of the bolt without the head of the bolt holding it off?

Whoa I completely forgot they were vertical, is your rim straight or has it got loads of flat spots?

Can you post some pics of the bike, rear wheel and how the brake currently looks set as close as possible?

Was being an idiot! Hers some photos, if you'd like more just let me know.

post-16541-0-28084500-1413585362_thumb.j

post-16541-0-57999200-1413585390_thumb.j

post-16541-0-77921000-1413585415_thumb.j

I see your point, the only thing I can suggest would be to file the dropout slightly to allow the wheel to sit slightly forwards in the frame.

It's a really strange situation which I could only put fown to the wheel being egged or something but you'd be able to tell that pretty easily!

What rim is it out of curiosity??

I have no idea what the rim is I'm afraid I'll have a look in a bit see if I can find any branding. I don't think its egged, like you said that's a pretty easy spot. However, I do have tyre rub on the frame in one small area on one side of the wheel though. But I've put that down to tyre bulge as the sidewalls are as thin as paper.

Will have a play around a bit more, if not I'll just see if there's another cheap rear selling on here, just to try it out and see what happens

• 2 months later...

Thats a very strange situation. Fixed wheel position, almost looks like the frames been badly made. Not really a good fix, but how about getting v-brake adaptors and using evo mounts. I know thats very arse about face but may give the extra adjustment required.

• 2 weeks later...

You've deffo got the axle slammed in the dropouts?

Off the wall idea but is the rim dished to one side? That would drag the rim downwards towards the dropouts.

Beyond that file the dropout about a mm towards the BB.

I'd personally go rear V brake with heatsink adapters as you'd have al the adjustment you'd need, but that may have to do with me having it all already :giggle:

Edited by CC12345678910