insights into importing from HK?

*gentlydoesit

Anyone use/d alibaba, dh gate ect that could give me some info?

I've bought "testers" in low volume from chinese companies, but as the value and package sizes have been small they've been shipped free via Singapore air. I think its time to buy in bulk but the shipping would be through dhl, ups and the like.

I need to know things like;

Duties/taxes.

I can find out what duty is owed on the products i buy, but i cant find..When and to whom is it payed? And how.. Cash,card,transfer,PayPal? How is it accessed? Do they open my packages and look?

Delivery.

Is it to my address or do I collect it from its arrival/handling destination? On the face of it that's a daft question, but it seems to me that if I buy a product that is delivered to my door the stage that I pay duty is missing??

I guess I know nothing of what's involved, any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

Depending on who the carrier is will depend on the handling fee. I believe if it's DHL etc. from start to finish I think it is included in the shipping costs, they will hold the package until you pay the customs. If it is handled at this end by royal mail it is £8 or so + the customs charge which you pay on collection from the depot.

When I got my narrow-wide chainring from wolftooth in the states it cost £35 for the chainring, a little over £8 for vat and another £8 quid for royal mail to have it sitting in their office for a couple of days :(

import agent to act on your behalf.. storage charges

Hopes sank when I read "agents" soo hope I don't need one. I'll throw it in Google now, but on the off chance.. know where I'd find info on that?

I hadn't even considered storage costs, though I do intend jumping on my stuff as soon as it lands.

Handling fees.. sounds reasonable, is the cost related to size of the packages?

I had thought the likes of dhl, ups ect would complete the job and deliver rather than hand over to royal mail, but I suppose there needs to be a transition period so the duties can be paid?

I'd really like this venture to go smoothly, it won't break me if it doesn't, but it'll be a setback I really don't need and I'd like to plan it properly. Thanks for the info thus far, appreciated.

Edited by *gentlydoesit

The companies I spoke to, which may bear absolutely no relevance to your case, were - Air Sea Scotland, Uni Serve, PTC Freight and Constantine (who specialize in private (non corporate) imports)

Customs may also ask for your VAT number if it looks like the imported goods are going to be sold on... Good luck persuading them they're not! hahaha!!!