Tablets

george_seamons

With Christmas coming up, and a rapidly failing laptop, I am looking to buy my girlfriend a tablet PC. She is a driving instructor, so will use the tablet to demonstrate road junctions, videos etc day by day. She will also use the tablet in the evenings to check emails, surf the internet, fill out spreadsheets for each days earnings etc.

She's not interested in any fancy brands, so things like Ipads etc are out of the window due to cost. She is more bothered about what colour/design the protective case will be!

It has been nearly a decade since I got involved with speccing/building computers, so I my knowledge is well out of date now, so am after some advice/recommendations.

I had a quick look on amazon, and spotted a couple of very reasonably priced models. Not from companies I have heard of before, but the reviews all seem to be fairly good, and there is a lot of them, which is normally a good call.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheapest-Android-KitKat-QUAD-CORE-BLUETOOTH/dp/B00JABR3A0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1415962504&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANDROID-4-4-KITKAT-QUAD-CORE-BLUETOOTH/dp/B00IUXI7HM/ref=sr_1_13?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1415962533&sr=1-13

Can anybody help? Is that price to good to be true? If they are really bad, are there any decent ones for around £100?

If you're wanting something low price then I think the cheapest I'd want to go is the Tesco Hudl 2. Heard pretty good things about them and they're not a bad price, even cheaper if you've got some clubcard points you can trade up. After that for abit more money and probably the one I'd buy is a Google Nexus 7, low priced and well specced.

In that case I think you're gonna have to suck it up and expand the budget quite a bit, maybe worth looking for a refurbished one?

Only heard bad things about the cheap eBay tabs, slow performance, poor battery life, terrible screens. Pretty much get what you pay for.

Everyone I know who's gone for one (my mum included) has ended up buying a "proper" one within a year.

I know you said the 10” thing but thought I’d throw in an owners opinion. I bought the first one a few months back and can’t fault it, videos good, handles internet well, battery’s not amazing but better than my brother’s Surface. And my favourite thing is expandable memory. If she could live with a smaller screen I’d completely recommend it.