Pinch gap help

Herbertlemon102

Yup, looks good. Try it off something higher so your rear wheel doesn't bounce off the floor :)

I have put it in slow mo and can confirm the rear wheel very very slightly skims the ground, not enough to effect the distance gapped :P hard to find anything good where I live, this is why group rides are awesome.

Come ride Leeds Sunday buddy :)

I think this may have changed my life Alex!! Just realised when I've tried them before. The bike always flicks out from underneath me

Zachary argrave just told me, the Coventry crew are riding sunday, location to be decided, and I'm trying to drag them all up to Leeds! Haha
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a weird one to explain but you don't really 'pedal' on the kick, its more lots of pressure on the pedals pressing backwards into the ledge you're taking off from. Distance comes from you jumping forward not the pedal being moved forward by the stroke.

What I found that really helps me is to instead of relying on my pedals at all, I just "push" the bike downwards and bend my knees (not my hip) so I imagine I'm jumping mainly with the help of my quads instead of hips. Then jump but putting focus on the pedal itself, the pedal just gives you the LAST extra push, I mean LAST because that's the last thing you should work on, throw yourself first and THEN try to pedal.

• Like 1

It's a weird one to explain but you don't really 'pedal' on the kick, its more lots of pressure on the pedals pressing backwards into the ledge you're taking off from. Distance comes from you jumping forward not the pedal being moved forward by the stroke.

A bit like a side hop?

*sorry to pick on your video but it's just for demonstration purposes*

vvEUQ7C.jpg

Now look at the knees and hip bent in Pavel's preload, both femurs are in the same angle in relation to his torso.

He also has his cranks almost parallel to the ground, because he is the one that will jump (he will throw himself, he won't push the bike) and the least emphasis he's putting there is how strong he will kick that pedal.

If you look to the other video you will see that both legs are bent differently in the preload, and that the cranks are a bit steeper than a 45° angle in relationship to the ground. If you take off like that then inevitably you will have to kick the pedal a lot and most of your emphasis is going to how hard and fast you can kick that pedal. It's like you want to spin the back wheel really fast with that kick so that the speed at which you make the wheel spin will be the one that will give you the distance.

• Like 3

Yeah! But what I'm surprised about is that you actually jump off the top of the edge and don't really push from the front of the edge or at least this is what it looks like.

edit: Found out today that if you find a small edge to jump off from, you always get the position right as there's not enough space to be too far from the edge. Takes away one issue.

Edited by niconj

Well I went out today again to try and learn it but I think I jump off way too far from the edge. I don't know why but when I go nearer to the edge, my wheel drops down instead of jumping far.

http://mtbn.ws/vva0

I think your problem is not getting your weight far back enough when you preload for the gap.