Frame identification

Bugsymalone

I'm not sure that's actually the trials frame they made - I thought all the trials frames had more of a square/boxy profile to the downtube rather than just using rounded tubing. Could be wrong though...

That's just an XC frame, might not even be a Giant but just a steel frame stickered up to look like one (hence no model name/number). If it is a Giant it's a fairly budget one. Not the best for trials but it'l do for learning on.

My honest opinion is that it is a cheap frame painted up to look like a Giant maybe because the owner wanted it to look cool(?). If the frame number was a Giant then the first letter would be a G, if it was the case that you misread it then that would date the frame either as being built in 1998 or 2008 and released probably 98/99 or 08/09. A search on Bikepedia doesn't show anything with a colour scheme even remotely like that and the fact the forks look like generic fat bladed aluminium forks makes me think it isn't one.

Of course I could be completely wrong but that is the impression I'm getting.

Plus, dropouts that thin wouldn't have been for qr wheels, chances are it's a very old and low end frame, AND I might be wrong but the bit behind the seat tube looks like a cable guide for a cantilever brake, you know, the ones that V brakes replaced in the mid/late 90's.

Yeah they're definately steel and I agree I have scrolled for hours and found similar giants but minor details change my mind the one distinctive difference I see from mine to all the others is under where the seat post goes there is a brake cable fastener or tube to sleeve into whereas it's nowhere to be found online! Hey it's lighter than my old saracen mad that some tramp politely nicked and looks cooler than the gt chucker I had stolen too so it'll keep me happy enough as I haven't rode or for that matter done any trials for nearly 10 years!! Hey it's unique I'll just convince myself it's a ore historic one off oldskoolbike!! Cheers for the research anyway!!

One bit of advice I could do with help on is my forks they are a 1" tube with around a 2" thread at the top the rest is thread less but the steer tube is 1 1/8 thread less , Can I use a standard headset with an adaptor sleeve or something in order to Woden the top of the fork to a standard diameter in order to use a normal stem instead of a shitty old threaded one?