Best tv I can buy right now for under £500

trialsiain

3 hours ago, weirdoku said:

4K content is not widely available. By the time 4K content is the norm your TV will be dead.

If you don't have a 1080p TV at the moment there's still plenty of life left in 1080p stuff to by a 1080p tv now. 

Best TV? Depends what you want in a TV.

Yeah I just have a 720p 32" LG TV at the moment so anything 1080p will be an upgrade really. I just want good picture quality to be honest. Is 3d worth it ? 

There no point in a 4k tv unless you have a PC connected to it and you watch 4k media that way.... or you're using as a computer monitor too. Otherwise like has been said there's no traditional media for it yet and you're probably going to be sat too far away from it to see much of a difference between 1080 and 4k.

9 hours ago, JT! said:

There no point in a 4k tv unless you have a PC connected to it and you watch 4k media that way.... or you're using as a computer monitor too. Otherwise like has been said there's no traditional media for it yet and you're probably going to be sat too far away from it to see much of a difference between 1080 and 4k.

Ultra-HD Blu-Ray is on the way dude, the spec has been finalised and samples will be hitting the shops soon. Either way, streaming will be the way to go anyway.

Have you actually seen a true 4k display playing true 4k? The difference to 1080p is massive. The upscaling is extremely impressive as well, nothing like the 1080p upscaling that was common when 1080p was just starting out.

I wouldn't go for a 1080p display now, for some pretty important reasons:

• The 4k TVs currently available have seriously impressive upscaling in them (seen it in Curry's)
  • 4k streaming content is starting to become available via Netflix and so on
  • Ultra-HD Blu-Ray spec has been finalised and will be coming soon
  • Next-gen consoles will all be 4k
  • An average modern gaming PC can generally run things at 4k, and if it can't then the upscaling kicks in again

The biggest concern for me personally, is that getting a 4k panel that will do 60hz with a 4:4:4 chroma is very tricky, but you only really need that if you're going to use it as a computer monitor. If it's for TV/console gaming then pretty much any current 4k panel should be OK. I personally wouldn't jump in until 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz or higher is standard, but don't think it's a bad time for anyone else to.

Alternatively, the current £300 1080p TVs are also pretty good, so a cheap upgrade from your 720p tv.

Edited by Muel

7 hours ago, Muel said:
  • An average modern gaming PC can generally run things at 4k, and if it can't then the upscaling kicks in again

Starting to, but it'll be a while til most of the content is 4K, which I bet won't even be all of it, just the popular shows/programs. You're going to be watching 1080p stuff for a while still.

Next gen consoles MIGHT be 4K, but I doubt all the developers will all develop their games in 4K. And I bet like current gen games not all of them run at full 30/60 fps 1080p, I doubt next gen would be true 4k throughout.

An average modern gaming PC can probably play 4K videos no problem but can it play games in 4K at decent settings with playable fps? Say you can play at max settings at 1080p 60fps, switch to 4K and you'll have to turn down the settings for sure to get any playing framerates. I think I rather play at 1080p if that's the case.

You could always hold out for a bit until 4K stuff is more common. 720p to 1080p isn't that much of a difference anyway but there is between 1080 and 4k.

I also think 3D is a useless gimmick and people fall for that shit. I do own a 3D monitor myself but it wasn't a deciding factor when I bought it. I tried the 3D once when I got it and thought it was pointless and never touched it again.

Anyone buying a TV now and not aiming for 4k is making a mistake in my opinion. I'm in that boat myself as it happens, having bought into 1080p as soon as I could. Now that TV is a good 8 years old or so and at the end of its life, so the only logical choice is 4K to future proof. 

14 hours ago, Muel said:

Ultra-HD Blu-Ray is on the way dude, the spec has been finalised and samples will be hitting the shops soon. Either way, streaming will be the way to go anyway.

Have you actually seen a true 4k display playing true 4k? The difference to 1080p is massive. The upscaling is extremely impressive as well, nothing like the 1080p upscaling that was common when 1080p was just starting out.

I wouldn't go for a 1080p display now, for some pretty important reasons:

• The 4k TVs currently available have seriously impressive upscaling in them (seen it in Curry's)

The biggest concern for me personally, is that getting a 4k panel that will do 60hz with a 4:4:4 chroma is very tricky, but you only really need that if you're going to use it as a computer monitor. If it's for TV/console gaming then pretty much any current 4k panel should be OK. I personally wouldn't jump in until 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz or higher is standard, but don't think it's a bad time for anyone else to.

Alternatively, the current £300 1080p TVs are also pretty good, so a cheap upgrade from your 720p tv.

You gave a bunch of reasons to buy a 4k TV a few years from now. But no real reasons to buy one right now. Especially seeing as though there's still a premium for them.

I think the time to buy one is when OLED becomes reasonably priced.

I have a 28" 1080 monitor, it's basically the same ppi as a 4k 55".

OLED is already very reasonable. £2500 for the LG 55eg920 is a huge price drop from the orginal 1080p OLED which was priced at £8000.

you can now buy a slight higher spec 1080p OLED (55ec960) for £1600, which look incredible even at 1080, but do suffer from motion issues.

EDIT: 

taking in to consideration the price of introducing UHD to a tv set, if you hunt around you can find extremely higher specification 1080p sets for a very reasonable price, rather than sacrificing a lot of that by opting for a lower spec UHD television.

i personally did this my self. i had the option of 4k when i bought my tv. but decided against it as the content that is available  didn't tickle my fancy at the time, 99% of the time im either playing games or watching 1080p anyway.

EDIT:

the up scaling capability of even the highest end sets is VERY marginal. after all the unit can only work with the amount of information is has  

Edited by Davetrials