Simple Network question

manuel

Ok simple question.

Router only has 10/100 ports but unmanaged switch and pcs have 10/100/1000 ports. If everything is connected to the switch, should you see 1000mbit transfer type speeds for simple smb file sharing internally? Should the established speed listed on all the pcs be 1000mbit or will it only be 100mbit as the router is the thing handing out IP addresses?

It'll run as quick as the slowest part, so you should see somewhere near 100mbit internally, yes. Similar setup in my office (except it's Router -> Switch -> Device). Always just been plug and play in my experience, but I can't proclaim to be some sort of expert.

Bummer,

yeah im trying to diagnose from afar...

dads office changed their isp, who took out the router I installed (and didn't reinstate any of the assignments or set anything up properly) and put in a shit one with only 10/100 ports. I think currently the fileserver is attached to the router and not the switch so am wondering if I can improve things a little by having everything like you say router -> switch -> devices. I thought maybe as transfers are direct (?) device to device it can run @ gigabit but wasn't sure how that would work with a 10/100 device on the network serving out IPs and doing internets.

file speeds are pretty poor with 6 of them in the office and some largish files that they work with so would like to get back up to gigabit fileserving without having to go there physically and replacing the router.

That's actually an interesting question. You'd think that the files would travel from PC to PC via the switch and not have to involve the router at all giving you 1000mbit speeds. Maybe disconnect the router from the switch and transfer a file and see if it speeds up?

Ah but then nothing is giving out IP addresses. So that's not really a goer, but it does seem like an interesting issue that I can't seem to find a good answer for! Maybe next week I'll get them to switch some of the connections around and just try some. If anyone actually knows technically what should happen it would be great to know.

If i understand your layout correctly:

if the router is only there for internet access and DHCP, you should beable to connect all the devices via the switch, and allow them to communicate over that. The router will use DHCP to give the devices IP address's, and the devices will use the switch to communicate

Edited by MartMini

On 12 August 2016 at 2:22 PM, Danny said:

If both pc's are connected to the gigabit switch directly then you should get 1gbit between them.  

Would you expect the switch to be displaying 1000mbit? Or 100mbit and switch to 1000mbit when doing a file transfer?

Still displaying 100mbit on the switch and in network settings :( boo.

last question (this is more about an unmanaged switch). If all devices bar the server had 100mbit controllers would you expect to see the server to switch line showing on the switch as 1000 or 100mbit ?