Which Complete to Get?

Cranky

Sup everyone:

Looking to get back intro trials from my .."heyday" but absolutely drowning in the choices.

I'm 6 foot 3 and 240lbs and use to ride many moons ago an old-school Planet-X Jackflash.

I'll be riding mainly in the city for SAGs but if down the line I get into more natural stuff having the option could be good.

I'm thinking of the following:

Jitsie Varial 26" HS/HS

Jitsie Varial 24" Hybrid 1045MM Disc/Disc

CZAR 24" NEURON Pro Bike

ECHO GU 24 BIKE TRIAL

ZOO! 26" Bike

ECHO CONTROL 26" 2019

Open to others.

Have a seat or being able to would kinda be nice, I guess.

Here are my concerns and doubts:

- HS 22's on the Jitsie Varial 26" HS/HS not being good enough

- These street trial 24" bikes being way too small 

- These street trial 24" bikes having disk breaks and breaking them with my newby-ness

- Going for a model which has avid cable disc brakes or shimano hydro ones

Obviously looking for good quality to price value with options to upgrade down the line.

I'm in the US.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Well you're a big lad so something like the Zoo 26 is a decent solid option. 

As for maguras front and rear not being good enough I'd say with decent pads and a grind they're excellent and will have no problem holding you! 

One thing though is the geometry will feel a million miles away from the frames of old and take a bit of getting used to! 

5 minutes ago, isitafox said:

Well you're a big lad so something like the Zoo 26 is a decent solid option. 

As for maguras front and rear not being good enough I'd say with decent pads and a grind they're excellent and will have no problem holding you! 

One thing though is the geometry will feel a million miles away from the frames of old and take a bit of getting used to! 

Thanks for the advice. In terms of the Zoo 26 vs a 24" street trials bike like Jitsie Varial 24" Hybrid or CZAR 24" NEURON Pro Bike; what should I be aware of? What about upgradability? 

Personally I've gone for a custom built frame from Marino in Peru. This way I can adapt the geo to my needs.

The geo I went for is a mix between the Inspired Arcade, the Inspired Hex, and the Jitsie varial but based on 26" wheels. Longer reach with medium-high BB, slammed chainstays... And a seat!

If I were you and I was to go for a complete then it would definitely be either the Inspired Hex as a first choice and the Jitsie Varial 24" Hybrid as second choice. Remember, you can always roll the bars, get a longer stem, get higher-rise bars etc.

FYI: I'm 6,1" and weigh 180lbs.

Isitafox hits the nail on the head.. a modern, specific bikes compared to the Planet X Jackflash is going to be worlds apart so it's a tough call!

What kind of riding do you want to do / made you get back into it? Middleground would be a 24" Varial or shortish 26" maybe?

Obviously the best thing to do would be to try some out - but with the current state of the planet, it makes that impossible....

On 30/05/2020 at 5:12 AM, blueberrytart said:

Thanks everyone. Still driving me nuts, trying to decide. I saw that zoo on AliExpress for what looks like an amazing deal but I’m starting to think it’s a scam. 

Personally, I've purchased items from AliExpress but never a bike. Never had any issues but it definitely does strike me as a shady eBay that's wishes it were Amazon...

That said, I have heard mostly positive things about jumpbikes.cn

Edited by justinlock
Additional thoughts

2 hours ago, Swoofty said:

I've had good luck with jumpbikes.cn too. His US warehouse is here in Los Angeles, but if it's coming from China, the shipping times can be all over the map.

Is this really true though? There are posts where it says that it's a scam? You might get the bike but some of the parts won't be as advertised or it'll be a Frame with defaults that you'll only realize too late are faulty or not quite the quality that you'd expect.

Thanks for everyone's input by the way. 

Edited by blueberrytart

I've bought a frame and fork in one order, pedals and a handlebar in another order and cranks and a chain tensioner in another order and they've all been fine. I've emailed him a few times as well and he always gets back promptly. The shipping is still a wildcard. I don't order anything I need quickly from him. This is just my experience so maybe I'm just lucky. I prefer ordering from Tarty when I can and the price is right. Tarty's shipping is the best, hands down.