BMX cranks on an Inspired Arcade???

Wantedinspiredarcade

Hey can anyone help...? I’m building a street trials bike. I have an Inspired Arcade frame and fork and want to know can I fit a 22 tooth front sprocket to bmx cranks? I’m looking at Odyssey Thunderbolts and they say 25 Tooth upwards...? This is also what all other bmx cranks I see say 25T up...? Inspired do a 22 tooth front sprocket with built in bash guard, they also do there own version of a bmx style crank but it only comes in 175mm crank arm length... I want 165 length so I’m feeling stuck. 
The gear ratio the Inspired Arcade recommends is 22-15 or 22-16... if I can only fit a 25t to Odyssey Thunderbolts then what rear tooth would give me a similar experience? I’m stuck scratching my head here... hope this makes sense. 

In theory you could but there may be some issues

a 22t sprocket is 3&3/4" diameter and a 25t is 4&1/8" looks like there not enough clearance on my arcade it looks like theres bout a 1/4" between the sprocket and frame 

The arcade cranks have a 6&5/8" axle bmx cranks are 5&7/8" I belive profile do make longer axles not sure bout odyssey

As for gearing 25 /18 (1.388 ratio) would be marginally heavier than 22/16 (1.375 ratio) which is heavy already compared to trialsy trials bikes (24" 18/14 =1.285 ratio) combine that with shorter cranks as well may well be too hard a gearing for static stuff

If money is no object profile could be the way to go the do micro drive crank bosses on some of there cranks and make a mtb sized axle ti axles available to  but that's like £300 +

Measurements from the parts graveyard that is my garage so some may be a bit off as it's all bolted together 

Edited by Sandbugg
  • Like 1

Waller BMX have a set of microdrive KHE Prism cranks for £65. I ordered some a couple of days ago. Also, there's the DMR Spin BMX chainring from tredz which comes in 20t, 22t or 25t. Only £25.

Normal BMX cranks won't fit a smaller chainring so they've gotta have the option for the microdrive/nanodrive.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info you two, I’m glad I asked!

So Ive looked again and now see lots of BMX cranks with the micro drive... but Sandbugg you say the axle still won’t be long enough? So I’d have to buy an additional axle in the correct length. 

So how about these Waller KHE Prism cranks... would they fit? It doesn’t say anything about them having a longer axle? And it doesn’t give any crank arm length options? 

Finally, what do you guys recommend for crank arm length and gear ratio? I know the obvious answer is it’s all down to personal preference... but for beginners that don’t have any preference what would be your advice? I’m short (5”8 ish) this is why I thought a 175mm crank would be too long... also the gear ratio comment makes me think a 25t upfront is not a good idea... So is 22:15 or 22:16 better for beginners, I see for my arcade frame it can run both options..

They wont mention an axle length as BMX worked out its standard dimensions many years ago those khe cranks look like a 48 spine so a longer profile axle may well fit but I do not think youd be hindered by a 175mm crank arm if you can afford it the arcade cranks ate really good if a lil heavy I got a sweet deal on some sram gx eagles and saved some grams 

I'd recommend 22/16  not sure if anyone uses 22/15 nowadays imo it would be too heavy on the pedals to be any good for static or short run up stuff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wantedinspiredarcade said:

Thanks for the info you two, I’m glad I asked!

So Ive looked again and now see lots of BMX cranks with the micro drive... but Sandbugg you say the axle still won’t be long enough? So I’d have to buy an additional axle in the correct length. 

So how about these Waller KHE Prism cranks... would they fit? It doesn’t say anything about them having a longer axle? And it doesn’t give any crank arm length options? 

Finally, what do you guys recommend for crank arm length and gear ratio? I know the obvious answer is it’s all down to personal preference... but for beginners that don’t have any preference what would be your advice? I’m short (5”8 ish) this is why I thought a 175mm crank would be too long... also the gear ratio comment makes me think a 25t upfront is not a good idea... So is 22:15 or 22:16 better for beginners, I see for my arcade frame it can run both options..

Regarding the KHE Prism cranks, or BMX cranks in general, I have a 68mm BB shell and only had a single issue which was the internal axle spacer being too long. All I did was cut it down by 5mm and it fit like a dream. That's only because I don't have any spacers for the BB.

As for the arm length, they are 175mm and should be perfectly fine. Even the aforementioned Arcade cranks are only available in 175mm and many riders rock them.

For gear ratios, I'm currently in the process of putting a 16t rear sprocket on, 22t front and a double chain tensioner with enough slack so that I can change out to a 25t or maybe even a 28t front chainring. Should be an interesting experiment. This means I can commute with one set, and swap out for playtime quite easily (in theory).

• Like 1

Ahhh ok, so with a bit of modification in theory I could fit any bmx crank (as long as it has the micro drive...) this is good to know. Thanks for advice on the 175mm length, it’s true I do also see lots of riders using them, I’m still confused as to why Inspired only made one length though? It must make a difference if you’re say 6”2 or 5”7 for example. I think I’ll also go for 22:16, seems like a popular / standard choice for street trials, I do wonder if a 25t would give a cool BMX vibe to the bike though, like at skateparks or pulling bmx style moves... I’ve just paint stripped my Inspired arcade frame and fork and polished it to a Raw effect... it’s looink ‘sick’ haha 

I think the correspondence between crank length and your height isn’t quite as important in trials as you’re not sat down pedalling as you would on a normal bike. I think a lot of people go for the longer cranks for a bit of extra leverage to get more power down on the trials moves 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wantedinspiredarcade said:

Ahhh ok, so with a bit of modification in theory I could fit any bmx crank (as long as it has the micro drive...) this is good to know. Thanks for advice on the 175mm length, it’s true I do also see lots of riders using them, I’m still confused as to why Inspired only made one length though? It must make a difference if you’re say 6”2 or 5”7 for example. I think I’ll also go for 22:16, seems like a popular / standard choice for street trials, I do wonder if a 25t would give a cool BMX vibe to the bike though, like at skateparks or pulling bmx style moves... I’ve just paint stripped my Inspired arcade frame and fork and polished it to a Raw effect... it’s looink ‘sick’ haha 

I definitely agree with the 25t vibe.

You do know that you have to post some pics now B)

I wanted to have my Marino raw but they weren't happy about doing it as it wouldn't be protected enough so I'm going for a high gloss ultra white finish instead.

Haha for sure, I’ll get some pics up soon as it’s built. I’m a bit apprehensive about running it raw, but the inside on Arcades is rust proofed and I’m gonna keep an eye on the outside... I always store inside and don’t ride in the rain sooooo... we will see haha. I can also always clear seal it.  I was wanting the forks and bars chrome plated but then found out the costs are crazy. 

High Gloss Ultra White sounds cool buddy, also get some pics on here! :) 

@Wantedinspiredarcade FYI: I received the KHE Prism cranks from WallerBMX today. They weren't as advertised. They don't have the microdrive as pictured. I'm gonna put in an order with SkatePro next week for another set of Stolen Talon V2's instead as they definitely do have they micro drive. A little more expensive at £90 but at least I know it's a safe bet <_<

How strange. But the Stolen Talon v2s look cool, which colour option you going for? I’m thinking a chrome plated set of cranks for my build would look ace. Still a good price there though mate. Maybe you could give me a little extra advice, I bought a fiend intergrated headset : https://www.kunstform.org/en/fiend-bmx-integrated-headset-p-9215

and I’m confused when fitting it. It all goes on well apart from the very bottom ring, it stops about a cm from the base of the steerer tube...? Am I supposed to bash it down? I’ve not got any experience with modern intergrated headsets. If I leave the very bottom ring off the rest goes on we’ll but then I feel a tiny wobble when I move stem and fork, it’s not much movement but it doesn’t feel snug or smooth it that makes sense.. I’ll add some pics maybe you know exactly what I’m doing / done wrong hahah pics to follow.... 

If I leave the black ring off the other bottom part fits on beautifully, and the top parts all fit well, but the whole thing feels like it wobbles. Not much wobble but definitely more than I can remember on my old bikes (that bike shops built for me) 

...hope you understand all this haha 

7EC71144-0FEE-4E48-8F25-F1B757E82BFD.jpeg

4C6E56BA-2600-4E9B-9E1C-1068E283D2C6.jpeg

3E03BEBA-F432-400D-B6CD-CB2DACF82B65.jpeg

A84147C9-D473-4A90-83B4-C1F4F4D48860.jpeg

Yeah it’s the ‘crown race’ and it usually takes a bit of a whack to get seated properly. The tool for fitting them is like a big metal pipe that slides over your steerer and you just basically bash it on...

Any pipe that just fits over the steerer tube would do the trick 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Alternatively you can cut that black ring into a C shape, so it will expand slightly and go onto the fork. The angle on the bearing keeps it squeezed together when in position.

Also good to know... I do favour the bash it option though haha Just for reference when you say C shape do you mean just slit it with a cutting disc or do you mean cut a section out? I see you’re from Tarty bikes! Cool shop dude, do you guys ship to Holland? I’m after the intergrated Arcade bash ring and the fork axle from your site and maybe some other parts actually, possibly wheels if I can’t find any good 2nds, if so how much do you charge to post wheels to Holland? ... anyway it says the arcade bash ring will fit bmx cranks that have a micro drive hole... but do you know if bmx cranks will then fit on to an inspired arcade frame? I’ve been told yes but I’d need a longer spindle... if this is correct do you sell said spindles? Cheers 

Just a small slit.

Thanks man! Yes, we ship to Holland regularly, just add the items you'd like to a basket and everything else is automated :)

I've no experience of fitting BMX cranks to an Arcade, so can't help there unfortunately.

• Like 1