Cheap laptops?

isitafox

I picked up a Lenovo g50 for use on a long running site on the isle of man about 5 years ago, i3, 4gb ram and an ssd. Cost about 300 quid on offer and had been great, the ssd really makes a difference.

Last week I put a new screen in it as the other one had been cracked, also upgraded the ram to 8gb as windows 10 really is a bit rubbish with 4. It's still going strong and for basic office use it's great.

I recently sold a Thinkpad T460s on eBay, comfortably under your budget. Why couldn't you have made this thread a month ago :lol:

It was a lovely machine, which I would definitely recommend. Should be easy to find one on eBay with a good spec, and in budget as well.

EDIT: Just looked back and saw that it's mainly for the kids to do schoolwork on. The T460s is probably a bit fancy and overkill for that.

Edited by Mikee

Well, decided to have a quick look at the spec of this laptop just to compare if I bought another as it's a while since I had this built and got quite a surprise.

Already running an i5 processor, 8gb RAM and 250gb SSD. Confused me as certain apps like the GoPro video editor and stuff like Minecraft run like a bag of shit!

I think I need to get the hinge replaced and have the fan cleaned and new heatsink paste fitted to cool it down, probably do a clean Windows install as well.

So, I'm not gonna bother with a new laptop but does anyone have any experience with Chromebooks? Something that will run MS Office with a keyboard should keep the eldest busy.

On 09/02/2021 at 9:16 AM, isitafox said:

Already running an i5 processor, 8gb RAM and 250gb SSD. Confused me as certain apps like the GoPro video editor and stuff like Minecraft run like a bag of shit!

It's most likely quite an early iteration of the i5 though. With outdated integrated graphics. So Video editing and gaming are not going to be it's strong points.

On the subject of Chromebooks.... I don't get them. What's the point of a laptop with basically a mobile OS? Also, I will refer you to my first post, which is also relevant here.

On 07/02/2021 at 4:23 PM, Mikee said:

I would recommend getting something like a used Lenovo Thinkpad off of eBay, before I would recommend a new, budget laptop. In my opinion, there are few things worse than a cheap laptop.