What flat pedals?

basstrials

Hi there,it is seems that most riders use aluminum flat pedals,some say that composite ones are ok too,but for some reason i do not trusted to put my feet on :D.

Looking for buy some good ones,so what do you think - what brands and models are strong and worthy,both aluminum or composite ones?I have wide feet,so obviously they have to be wide platforms with.Thank you for your time.Be safe.

Composite pedals can be plenty good enough. If you go super cheap on them they probably won't be great, but pedals like the HT Nanos are nice. I've used them on all my bikes for the past 4-5 years or so and they've been reasonably faultless. One developed a little play, but tightening up the nuts worked fine. I killed it by hitting it into a rock really hard, pretty fast on my mountain bike. It upset something in there, possibly a bent axle or something... they were a good few years old at that point though, and I don't think many pedals would have dealt well with it.

The new DMR composite pedals (with the metal pins) seem decent too, although I do kind of prefer the platform shape/size of the HTs.

For metal options, Hope F20s didn't feel great to me when I had them, the Crank Brothers pedals have felt like they had minimal grip on every bike I've tried them on, Inspired Team pedals are strong and grippy but don't have the biggest platform, and the new-style DMR V12s are in a similar position to the Inspireds. The bigger DMR pedals may be worth a look though.

• Like 2

I've settled to the new Stamp 2 for over a year now and have no plans to switch, these are awesome. The issue with the old Stamps were possibly that they are completely flat instead of concave like the new ones. I'm running the size small even though my shoe size suggests for the large, but these just turned out way better as I can feel exactly where my feet are.

I used to swear for Echo caged pedals before but they lose their grip so quickly that I had to look for flats again. Been happy so far, my only wish would be that the pedals (for a trials rider) should attach closer to cranks like caged pedals do. But I think this is pretty much the issue with every flat pedal.

Edit: One thing I have to tell about these, that sharp edge gives a horrible shin dig when it happens. Or at least judging by the horizontal hole in my shin, it was the edge not the pins.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Jere_h
  • Like 1

These HT looks similar shape to DMR V series,to me at least and i am sure that they are good.Four to five years of abuse from experienced rider like you says enough.I am going to take a look at these Crank's as well,looks very thin.Actually,i use nylon ones,cheap ones about 5GBP:D,recommended by friend(LBS owner) and surprisingly to me,they holds well for now,but i feel some fear that axles might break anytime i do bunnyhop :P.Steel use them because i learn to bail out when i losing balance point over back wheel on purpose and pins are not big,so i could safely jump backwards. I know that composite ones be supposedly tougher and all it is in my head.Here they are:

20210615_163946_mfnr[1].jpg

20210615_164011_mfnr[1].jpg

The HTs are a bit flatter and broader than the DMRs. I think they're a little thinner too. I'm quite fussy about pedal shapes (I like a little concave) and they work really well for me.

The pedal axles should be fine on those realistically, it'll just be a thick bit of steel. With the thickness of the pedal, they can get a decent diameter axle in there too so they won't be using a little skinny one.

• Like 1

+1 for HT. I've used their AE03 and ME03 pedals for years now. One bearing died after a while, but they have full rebuild kits for $14 and great vids on how to do it without special tools. I've heard good things about the composite ones, but mine haven't died yet so haven't tried them.

• Like 1

I have different types of pedals on my bikes.

- One Up composite

- Fireeye Hot Candy

- Federal Command plastic

- DMR V6 nylon

- Wellgo MG1

- Xpedo Spry

- Shimano Saint PDMX80

The One Up have so much grip ... amazing. They are really wide too (the pins are very long), pretty thin and seem to be very reliable (no problem with them after many years). They are my choice for enduro or DH.

The Fireeye are cheap and overall a good choice, but the seals are not so good.

I was skeptical about the full plastic pedals (Federal Command plastic and DMR V6 nylon), but I prefer to ride them in street/DJ or Trials. Somehow, I don't need so much grip and with these pedals I hurt my self much less. Only two drawbacks come to my mind: grip with wet sole and longevity. If my sole is wet, I will prefer to have metal pins. The plastic pins wear quickly out too and are not so strong.

I like the DMR V6: cheap, the form is really concave, long pins ... a good budget pedals if you don't ride in wet.

Overall, I prefer a nylon body: it has more grip than an alloy body (that will get blank with time and wear), it is strong enough and light.

Thin metal pins have a lot of grip but they will destroy your shoes quickly.

The most grippy pedals I ever rode are the DMR Vault. Two friends of mine ride them, but they are so bad for the shin ... no way!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thanks to everyone here for their advices.I did put HT AE03 on my bike and i am very happy with.They fits me well because i have big feet and they are very thin ones,too.Got good grip on my feet now,just had to sand pins off a little bit.Now i could move freely to get right position on and still have enough grip on.Be safe.