Diy chain tensioner?

DYAKOV

Long story short - I bought a second hand frame which was meant to be in good condition but it came with 4 cracks on it. I’m trying to get it repaired but I doubt I’ll have it back in the next few days and there’s a new trials park opening on Sunday which I want to go to.

So, I’m building a spare zoo frame that I have but I don’t have a chain tensioner for it and it’s a 135mm spacing, so snail cams won’t work.

I’m not sure if it was Flipp or Ali who used a spoke to make a ghetto tensioner. I really just need it to get me going on the day.

Can anyone give me a tip on how to make one? Other ideas are also welcome as long as I don’t need any special materials.

PS: I’ve got the chain as short as it can be, so a link shorter means it won’t work and the current length gives quite a bit of slack. Having vertical dropouts doesn’t help either, so I can’t play with the length and go without a tensioner altogether.

I use one made from a steel ruler. It is essentially a simplified 74Kingz/Heatsink style.

I have a spare ruler so could make you one and post it tomorrow on Royal Mail 24hr, if you like? Or if not I will take mine off and get you some photo's.

Failing both of those, spoke tensioners were "a thing" for a fair while. Poke an end through some anchor point on the dropout, twist is around the axle, and bend it such that the other end runs over the chain rollers. The tension provided isn't great, but it's good enough to get by. Make sure you gently bend the chain-end of the spoke up so it doesn't catch whenever the chain moves backwards.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...