Reverse Components Chain Tensioner Reviews

Sam Song

Anyone running these on their trials bikes?

I am planning on running this on my street trials hardtail as this is one of the only decent chain tensioners available right now. 

Colab Chain Tensioner | Reverse Components (reverse-components.com)

The only challenge I see is that they specify running these with multispeed chains whereas I was going to go singlespeed chain 

And it shows the sprocket compatibility of 13-17, but I was going to run it with 18T in the back. 

Do you think I would be able to run this with an 18T sprocket in the back?

Screenshot 2023-01-02 124250.png

12 hours ago, Sam Song said:

Do you think I would be able to run this with an 18T sprocket in the back?

Probably not. As Craig said, the issue you're likely to encounter is the top jockey wheel. I can't remember which brand it was (maybe Trialtech), but a while back a company offered their tensioners in 'Short' and 'Long' versions. The Long version is basically what you can see with the latest gen Trialtech tensioners where the main tensioner arm is fairly long, and allows you to run larger sprockets. The Short version had a stubby tensioner arm similar to that Reverse tensioner, and the sprocket range was basically the same as the one Reverse mention there.

19 hours ago, Mark W said:

Probably not. As Craig said, the issue you're likely to encounter is the top jockey wheel. I can't remember which brand it was (maybe Trialtech), but a while back a company offered their tensioners in 'Short' and 'Long' versions. The Long version is basically what you can see with the latest gen Trialtech tensioners where the main tensioner arm is fairly long, and allows you to run larger sprockets. The Short version had a stubby tensioner arm similar to that Reverse tensioner, and the sprocket range was basically the same as the one Reverse mention there.

Well unfortunately, I only found about this information after I had placed an order so it is currently on the way. Haha

Probably not worth the shipping cost back to return, so I will at least attempt to install with an 18T sprocket in the back and see what happens. 

I will update the thread afterwards. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The manufacturer is right. The 18T will not fit with this chain tensioner. 

But with some modding, it can work. 

I took out the roller first roller for the chain wrap since there is enough chain wrap. So I am only using the downward tension.

With this set up, it is woring beutifully. 

20230127_143628.jpg

20230127_143614.jpg

20230127_143653.jpg

20230127_143719.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 3:14 AM, Mark W said:

Holy smokes that back tyre looks meaty, haha. Think it's the rim that really makes it look chunkier. 

Glad you got the tensioner to work one way or another (Y) 

Finding a suitable rear tire for a street trials bike is a struggle. Haha

19 hours ago, Sam Song said:

Finding a suitable rear tire for a street trials bike is a struggle. Haha

I'm more trials than street, but have a look at the Maxxis Aggressor. It's easily as grippy as the Jitsie Reverz, weighs very nearly the same (+40g if memory serves), and rolls as nice as a Holy Roller.
I've not had a single pinch with it (worth noting that mine is the EXO skin one).
Grabs corners as well as the best purpose-made trials tyres I've had, and seems to last a LOT longer.
It comes in 2.3, but on a trialtech rim I measured the Jitsie carcass width at 56mm and this is 52, so hardly worth worrying about.
Best of all, it doesn't have Jitsie plastered on the side of it!

I think they've gone up a bit since, but I got mine for £36, so a nice bit cheaper too! Not cheap, but a good price for a genuinely premium tyre.

Edited by aener