Adjusting technique for modern trials?

AndyT

Someone that spent thousands of hours riding trials bikes that were a struggle to get on the rear wheel... Trying to get into it with my hobo crewkerz (a limp/bendy inpulse r26) w them silly ridiculous bars etc etc... But I cannot get any power into the bike.  

I feel like I'm looping out on gaps... The front end just drops when trying to go up stuff, but i can prance around on the rear wheel forever basically standing still zero effort being on rear wheel.  I get it, I just wish I had 1/2 the power... On my gu I could gap literally 1 m farther flat pedalkick.  Granted over bike length gaps on this feel like a small pedal kick... I want to access that full power !!

Any tips? Body position is fully different, watching jack and charlie non stop before/after riding like the old days of revolutin/evolve vhs and my monty x - hydra..

• Like 1

First days attempts video review, im not dropping the front wheel at all or preloading much... even though it seems like it. Watching charlie he pre loads and drops the front a ton... I tried it quickly today and had great results , just such an extreme angle to the body that I'm not quite used to... Little bit everyday , little different in your 40s that riding as a teenager.. Gonna get it 

IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

• Like 1

Andy on a 20"?!?! That'll help fight global warming what with HELL freezing over now! I guess if you live long enough you eventually see everything. Been looking at an X3 20" myself lately....

Good luck Andy!!

6 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Putting bars back to a normal position helps a lot. Otherwise you need to have small girl flexibility to cope 🙃

ahahahhah putting bars back def makes it a normal ish bicycle but that rear wheel hilarious cheater feeling vibe goes away!  I got plenty of normal bars my norm is inline w head tube! this is the extreme ridiculous, why not... new thing to learn

• Like 1

Dropping the front helps for front wheel moves but won't help for getting that rear wheel up.

All you can do really is train a lot, spend hours on a bike when you do, try to ride everyday and push harder every time you do, and live a healthy life. You can even try hitting the gym but I would not recommend it as it doesn't really help with bike control... 

The body learns and recovers way slower at 30+ than before. You have to keep that in mind and you really have to stay motivated if you want to progress at that age. For that there is nothing to do really except enjoying what you do and how you do it. Endorphins help with that but they come with pain so go ride hard!

Edited by Canardweb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Putting bars back to a normal position helps a lot. Otherwise you need to have small girl flexibility to cope 🙃

This, it really doesn't benefit most people, they just see the elite do it and assume it's the key. I'm pretty sure it hinders most riders.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LEON said:

This, it really doesn't benefit most people, they just see the elite do it and assume it's the key. I'm pretty sure it hinders most riders.

Fashion is one's of trials' most underrated negatives. I won't even talk about wearing tiny shorts over lycra, but if definitely doesn't help for setups too. HS33 are not the best brakes for the backwards motion still every company only builds frames with HS33 as an option...

2 hours ago, Canardweb said:

Fashion is one's of trials' most underrated negatives. I won't even talk about wearing tiny shorts over lycra, but if definitely doesn't help for setups too. HS33 are not the best brakes for the backwards motion still every company only builds frames with HS33 as an option...

Trials? Fashion? Ha! 

• Like 2

Y'all sound like a couple of old weak men.  Nothing but progress every ride personally.

It's just fashion? No . Every bike and handlebar is made to be forward, not as extreme as them but... They are all crazy forward.  Absolutely nothing like the old days, putting bars back keeps you in weak mud mind and body... It is the new standard, adapt or complain and stay meager ! ahahahah :P

Guess we'll see in a few years like everything... Believe i was in the right side on that convis stuff a few years ago. Doubt I'll be wrong here !   No one does those crazy up to fronts on old bikes, or the static hooks... just aint the game.  And to say technique isnt going to help you gap... tell me you can't ride without showing me your riding