Vans

J.KYDD

I'm sure there'll be a fair few folk on here who either own, have owned or drive a company van. 

I'm soon gonna be looking to purchase a van again for personal use instead of having a car.
I'll be sound-deadening, insulating and carpeting the back. Removing the bulkhead and will also be looking to get a pop-top and side awning installed. 

Budget for the van will be about £20k. 
Must be long-wheelbase and relatively refined with modern creature comforts. 

Obvious choices are between a 2018 onwards Transit Custom, or a VW Transporter.
But from those of you who may own or drive other van in this sector - any other vans you think I should be considering?

We have a LWB 14 plate sprinter that we converted to be the family camper van, it's now the daily and is proving to be an excellent bike race bus :)

Go for a high van rather than a pop top and awning, been so many places with low roof campers and they need to spend ages setting up the roof, awning, outside kitchen etc.  We rock up, put the handbrake on and can be cooking bacon within 5 minutes.

Have pinged you a link on bookface to our van build photos.

The sprinter drives really well, the engine is bombproof if kept ontop of services.

image.png.df7d335965c611f627f089bed33d2688.png

• 1 month later...

I spent ages looking at different vans even doing polls on social media…I was expecting one model to come out on top but surprisingly there was equal amount of love and horror stories for the Transporter, Custom and Trafic.

In the end I went for a Trafic as they’re galvanized so should resist rusting, have dependable engines and a decent loading area. I don’t think they’re the best looking but they are a lot cheaper than VWs.

I’ve literally just had mine converted by The Ply Guys (I’m still sat in their office) and couldn’t be happier with the results.

IMG_7738.dng IMG_7739.dng

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ali C said:

I spent ages looking at different vans even doing polls on social media…I was expecting one model to come out on top but surprisingly there was equal amount of love and horror stories for the Transporter, Custom and Trafic.

In the end I went for a Trafic as they’re galvanized so should resist rusting, have dependable engines and a decent loading area. I don’t think they’re the best looking but they are a lot cheaper than VWs.

I’ve literally just had mine converted by The Ply Guys (I’m still sat in their office) and couldn’t be happier with the results.

IMG_7738.dng 2.69 MB · 12 downloads IMG_7739.dng 3.31 MB · 6 downloads

That sliding bike ramp is cool!

• 2 weeks later...

About 18months ago I bought the new shape Vito, 1.6 fancy spec 111, air con and the nav options ect. I liked the quality of it but found the offset driving position ruined the van so back into a caddy for me. 

I've since bought a new shape transit custom limited for work. It's got the fancy LED lights which I love, pulls like a train, hill start is lovely and pedal positions are great. Normal driving position. I've only installed a spoiler & replaced the front grille for the model deleted honeycomb option. 

It's got heated seats, heated screen, heated wing mirrors. Air con, front and rear park assist, multifunction steering wheel, DAB that's got a pretty strong signal compared to the VW & Vito. Lots of storage under passenger seat with flap from bulk head. Certainly quiet enough with the bulk head in the back. Cruise etc 

My thoughts on having a van with all this spec as standard with the limited model, could you even be bothered with another brand. It drives amazing. 

Mines also a short wheel base and for anybody thinking about one for work I can actually get a 8x4 sheet in straight, stood up which is something no other SWB medium van with bulkhead offers. 

PXL_20230807_124259629

PXL_20230807_124318810

IMG-20230730-WA0022

IMG-20230805-WA0006

It's a workhorse for me - but it's a joy to drive. 

On 10/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, forteh said:

We use transit customs at work, took delivery of new vans, within 10 days 5 grands worth of hilti tools nicked from the back.  Transits are stupidly easy to break into :(

Yeah at the locksmith expo they showed a transit driver door being opened with a screwdriver. I swapped that barrel & added two additional locks to the rear doors. 

The Renault trafic models they pinch a hole through the sliding door to get to the exposed wire. Doesn't set off the alarm. 

The VW Transporter they punch a hole through above the handle to push the snib that's locked the door. Doesn't set off the alarm. 

Scary but no van is immune. 

Pop tops have been forced open and bikes taken out of campers at Gisburn Forest. 

I think the aftermarket van alarms are the best there is as all vans tend to be wobbled before any attempt of getting in is made to check if there is any kind of alarm/siren and these connect to your phone. Although mine has gone off as people have sped past my parked van its a inexpensive deterrent. 

Have a look at bearlock, we have the gearbox lock so it can only be driven in reverse. Doesn't stop them breaking in but then sprinter doors are so bloody heavy I'm not sure it's all that quick and easy to do**. Being a visible campervan rather than a trades van hopefully makes it less targetable for the hit and run tool thieves.

Bearlock also do cargo space deadlocks that are all actuated internally from inside the cabin. Even if they punch the lock/snip the wires it's still mechanically held from the inside.

**edit: that said I locked the keys in once and the locksmith picked the drivers door in less than 15 seconds....

Edited by forteh

Don't even need tools with my van (MK2 Scudo), PSA group were good enough to build in a feature where you can prise the side door away from the body in one corner, which triggers the central locking to unlock. No damage to the vehicle required to steal everything. 👌

Edited by Muel
  • Sad 1