Better for high sidehops/bunny hops?

La Bourde

Hi,

Saw recently a vblog about these new pedals:

https://www.8degreepedal.com/collections/all

The pedals are "floating" I.e. the platform can rotate from 4 degree in both directions of the yaw axis.

I was wondering if this can help during high sidehops or bunny hops where the bike shall be lift to the body side.

I guess the shoes already offer some kind of displacement, but maybe these pedals could help.

What do you think? 

Would it be a problem for other moves?

My sidehops are not high enough to have a relevant opinion 😐.

Right, I will try to explain my thought.

I think having more angular freedom for your feet helps when you cope:

- Maybe even more when you cope the bike sideways, cause you put the bike out of axle and you have to twist your ankles.

For sure the ankles give some range of motion, but can more angular freedom helps?

- In addition, when I squat, my feet tend to twist - not sure if it is the case for everyone, but it is well known that clip less pedals without angular freedom can lead to knee issues.

So if they are able to twist freely, maybe I can cope even faster/better/higher?

Edited by La Bourde

Interesting concept...

I think of myself as pretty tech-savvy and couldn't see on the website information about which orientation these wobble in. Bit skeptical as most of the photos on the site show people riding with SPDs 😅

I agree with you both.

I think the concept could be better implemented. And I don't want to spend a single word on the website...

Unfortunately I have absolutely no knowledge in biomechanics. But the facts that clip less pedals have angular motion makes me wonder if there may be an advantage.

In addition, there are only 4 points of contact in trials and two of them are pedals.

It makes sense to try to improve it like it occurs for stem and bar position.

And I like when someone comes with a new idea/thinks outside the box.

@cwtrials:

I see also your point with instability.

It seems they use a spring to rotate your feet back.

I was thinking about suspension fork: it may feel sometimes less stable at slow pace but overall a mountain bike feels more control at speed. Maybe sacrificing a little more instability could be worth it if other aspects are improved.

im not convinced, personally I always tie my shoes as tight as I can because I can’t stand any movement of my feet inside my shoe/on my pedal.

I feel a floating pedal might feel similar to a less-tight shoe and take away some of the feel and feedback 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 9:25 AM, Ali C said:

im not convinced, personally I always tie my shoes as tight as I can because I can’t stand any movement of my feet inside my shoe/on my pedal.

I feel a floating pedal might feel similar to a less-tight shoe and take away some of the feel and feedback 

That's what I do now, because climbing shoes need to be tight and they give better feedback that way. So I guess I got used to that and I even take my riding shoes a size under my normal size.

Edited by Canardweb