Jitsie stem tolerances, pretty bad?

Daan

So I've got their expensive sloped Race stem om my mod bike, and the headset constantly looses tension. Stem is moving upward, even though I tightened it properly (tighter than prescribed, as it could still move it around when done up like that). It can tighten it so much that it seems like both sides of where the gap is (where the bolts sit) are touching. Some markings on the stem from the topcap too, from when it's been forcefully moved up. Measured the diameters, steerer tube is good at 28.58 mm. However, stem clamp is a whopping 28.95 mm diameter. My Hope stem for comparison is 28.65 mm. 

Also, the handlebar interface creaks like mad (also done up tighter than prescribed, otherwise I could just turn the handlebar in the clamp when pulling hard and you could actually feel it wiggle too).

Contacted Jitsie, as it seems like it's way out of tolerance. But I assume these things come from a mold, so basically, will they all be crap and should I be looking for a different brand of stem? Anyone on here with a properly functioning Race stem of theirs? Unfortunately, I need something sloped, as the fork is cut at an angle and extremely short at that.

Edited by Daan
Slightly friendlier wording :)
  • Sad 1

• Daan changed the title to Jitsie stem tolerances, pretty bad?

Yeah good call. For now, I've added a beer can shim to both the handlebar and the steerer clamp. Pretty rediculous but much more solid. And an easy fit too, goes to show how much oversized the clamps are. Hopefully no damage done yet, as I've been riding it overstressed with too much movement on the clamps for a few weeks.

I'll post back when (and if) I hear from Jitsie, bought it from them directly so I do expect some support.

• Like 2

I had such a case with an enduro bike. After the accident, my stem started cracking. Additionally, he was able to loosen up. The longer I rode it, the greater the looseness appeared. It is 6061 aluminum so it can "stretch" not break. Nothing is eternal.

17 minutes ago, Chakers1998 said:

Jitsie have some nice products, like the Goldfren pads that they sell (they don't make them), but I swear anything they have manufactured is dog shit. People snapping forks and bars all the time. 

I perfectly agree with this post!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chakers1998 said:

Jitsie have some nice products, like the Goldfren pads that they sell (they don't make them), but I swear anything they have manufactured is dog shit. People snapping forks and bars all the time. 

Agreed. I've met other people with different opinions, but I and everyone I regularly ride with have had SUCH bad experiences with Jitsie that I wouldn't even consider them an option when replacing something.
(The only exceptions being the handlebars and older cranks that are literally just pulled from a standard parts catalogue and had a logo applied.)

Edit: And the tyres. Gotta be fair - they wear fast but those tyres are good.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, aener said:

Edit: And the tyres. Gotta be fair - they wear fast but those tyres are good.

Forgot about these. Yeah the tyres are mint to be fair, loads of pop and are pretty much the lightest on the market. 

Posted (edited)

Well damn, that's all pretty crap haha.

I also heard back from Jitsie: and yes, as feared, they went ahead and did some measuring, and all their stems are dimensioned wrongly. They will be contacting their supplier. Pretty stupid that a customer needs to discover this, a recall should be in order I reckon (unless they only sold one stem haha). Major suckage. They wanted to offer me a voucher, I've asked for my money back, since I only bought it last month. We'll see, at least I could get a tyre then for their voucher haha.

So, who still makes a stem that accepts a fork cut at a roughly 35 degree angle? Rear part of my fork only extends from the headset by 29 mm or so, which basically rules everything out I've seen so far :S Anyone has an old stem lying around? Echo or something like that?

Edited by Daan

21 hours ago, Daan said:

Well damn, that's all pretty crap haha.

I also heard back from Jitsie: and yes, as feared, they went ahead and did some measuring, and all their stems are dimensioned wrongly. They will be contacting their supplier. Pretty stupid that a customer needs to discover this, a recall should be in order I reckon (unless they only sold one stem haha). Major suckage. They wanted to offer me a voucher, I've asked for my money back, since I only bought it last month. We'll see, at least I could get a tyre then for their voucher haha.

So, who still makes a stem that accepts a fork cut at a roughly 35 degree angle? Rear part of my fork only extends from the headset by 29 mm or so, which basically rules everything out I've seen so far :S Anyone has an old stem lying around? Echo or something like that?

I've got a Brother CNC stem that I need to sell, it's basically a CNC TryAll K2. I bought some new Hashtagg carbon bars and they won't fit through the bar clamps due to the bars odd shape. My Jitsie bars fitted fine. I'll get some photos if you're interested.

Edited by craigjames

Cheers guys, appreciated. Do fear I need something loooong, running 175 mm / 35 deg now, and something with a removable faceplate too, as I've glued on my grips with rubber cement 😁 Perhaps one of those Clean Pro stems, 164 mm and 28 degrees might work, effectively 8 mm longer, 22 mm lower. If that 28 mm of steerer tube I have sticking out is long enough of course, so I've asked them to confirm. For now I'll keep the beer canned Jitsie on.