Bmx Questions

BONGO

same here

beasty cranks

beasty pedals

smiles all round :D

well, until 4 months pass and the slim jim internals take the long winding road to bad quality bearing heaven.

ooh, there's a question...

do i

A- buy another 4 months of niiice feeling slimjims for £30

or

B- risk some really expensive pedals and hope they feel halfway as nice as slim jims and last also forever.

bearing in mind i've ruined a pair of slimjims in 4 months

"Wheels white like OBM's" - past tense ;)

newbikehg6.jpg

Either way, you were lucky to get 4 months out of Slim Jims. The longest any of the 5-6 pairs around here have lasted is a month, tops. If you're after a decent pedal, the unsealed Hamiltons aren't too bad. Granted, they're pretty dear at £35 a pop for unsealed, but they feel pretty good. Alternatively, the Shadow Con new pedals look good, and the Hoffman Solemates are supposed to be The Shit.

"Wheels white like OBM's" - past tense ;)

yeah - i saw it, I'm not going out to buy a tin of black paint now though. I'm not convinced by these bright colours you kids are putting on your bikes these days, bmxs are supposed to be black, brown or - if the frame weighs in excess of 7 lbs - chrome

i heard the hoffman ones were good too and it's nice to help old man matt out with his little business (i have a seatpost and a sticker on my lid already)- i might well make the investment.

When i think about the slim jims properly most of those 4 months was either raining, heavily pregnant or elbow deep in nappies which didn't translate to a lot of riding and even then I don't really use my pedals apart from standing on so this lasting a week business is entirely believable. It's a shame though - they're a really nice shape under your foot.

We on about the Gusset pedals yeah? The first day of riding i lost a pin then they just kept stripping out. I hate those pedals now. How about the Primo Balance pedals? They look pretty tough and feel so light. My mate managed to get a magnesium pair for £30 when they were on offer. The Hoffman ones do look pretty damn good with the steel threads aren't they? The Eastern ones look alright as well but probably loose pins fairly quick though.

I've not lost pins from the slim jims, they come loose but if you catch them before they fall out you just tighten them up and you're ok. it's the bearings that have failed on me.

I guess i didn't ride them long enough to find that out. I'm just fed up with all the pin threads stripping in pedals.

smart as hell, but really weak arn't they. And going from 48 spoke to 5 lol. Death wish.

Well they're sort of spokes.

actually they're virtually indestructable. I went through a lot of alloy 48s very quickly in the 90s cos I couldn't do whips at all but I wanted to do whips a lot. After a lot of that I went back to the ol skyways and they still work to this day. I did manage to crack one in the hub area but it was at least 7-8 years old and third or fourth hand when it went.

spoked wheels were shit in those days - todays wheels are a lot better so the difference will less pronounced but still...

actually they're virtually indestructable. I went through a lot of alloy 48s very quickly in the 90s cos I couldn't do whips at all but I wanted to do whips a lot. After a lot of that I went back to the ol skyways and they still work to this day. I did manage to crack one in the hub area but it was at least 7-8 years old and third or fourth hand when it went.

spoked wheels were shit in those days - todays wheels are a lot better so the difference will less pronounced but still...

I'm sure you could pick some up from a car boot. Yeah they won't be official oldskool but they will be mags of some kind.

Holdfast coming to me in a week or so!

But I need to make a decision on cranks... I can get several different ones trade price. So how about these:

CRANKS1.jpg

TORRID CRANKS

Patent Pending

Crank is 100% heat-treated

Crank arms, spindle and flush mount bolts as set

4130 chromoly outer plate and 4140 BackBone, welded and 100% heat treated

4140 chromoly 19mm / 48 spline spindle

Lengths: 175mm

Crank arms and spindle as set (bottom brackets sold separately)

Weight: 9.8 oz per arm

Complete set 30.6 oz

Colors: black, white, dark red, green, baby blue, brown, dark purple

TORRID CRANK DETAILS:

The Shadow Conspiracy has been working on designing a crank for the past 2 years that can meet the demands of BMX without over building or sacrificing strength for weight.

Shadow’s first step was to develop box shaped arms which create a stronger crank arm, less prone to twisting or bending compared to a tubular crank.

The second step was to make the pedal / spindle bosses and the BackBone all one unit. This reduces the amount of welds in the high stress areas of the crank arm.

Shadow decided that making a one unit BackBone and bosses creates perfectly aligned pedal and spindle bosses, ensuring strength and alignment.

^That with a Mutiny Mid Kit would be sweet, it seems.

I certainly do not want to go near Profile/Madera, knowing the notorious 'wobble' they have after a little time. (Yep, had this on my unicycle, darn annoying). Other than the Torrids, real options are: WTP Royals, Primo Power/Hollows.

mmmm....

Bar-wise, I'm looking at several:

the new Mutiny Captain bars (check Mutinybikes.com)

Colony Guettler Unlucky 13 bars

Odyssey Milk

or even 4 piece bars of some sort?

I definitely like the look of those cranks

I think you should get them, treat them really badly and then tell me how well they hold up so I know whether to buy them or not.

bars?

if you get something medium sized - 25" wide and 7.5" high (ish) - you can figure out where you want to go from there. Most people go through about 5 pairs before they find something they really like. just for the love of god don't get chrome slams

I definitely like the look of those cranks

I think you should get them, treat them really badly and then tell me how well they hold up so I know whether to buy them or not.

bars?

if you get something medium sized - 25" wide and 7.5" high (ish) - you can figure out where you want to go from there. Most people go through about 5 pairs before they find something they really like. just for the love of god don't get chrome slams

No no no, do get slams, that way if they feel too long, you can give them the chop to the right length that you want, not that you would need to, as wide bars are the best thing since sliced bread :P

But if you really don't want to, then the Fit flow series bars are meant to be pretty good, and come in the low, mid, and high sizes, check out source bmx for them: The Source

Edit:Oooh yeah, and just over a £100 for the Sunday 06 frame, they are a steal at that price. When is the 07 wave from going to be available, i really like the toothpaste colour they do now

Edited by huck_it

I am REALLY tempted to get a bmx..now I have a job it could be a reality.

if I were to get one, I perhaps would have £500 to spend..maybe £700 if I sold my 24".

I would be mainly riding park and street (not as much though, dam countryside).

I dont know wether to buy a full bike or try and build my own, it could be hard to keep within the budget if I did build my own I think.

I have had a WTP primate before, but I never liked riding it, it was too short (cant remember the length) but I feel comming from a 1100 mbk, a lonish bmx would be good.

these bikes have interested me....

Fit Flow Park

WTP Phoenix pro

I like the wtp as its light, I REALLY want a light bike.

I am a bit worried I wont like the WTP as i hated my last one, but I guess the geo is different. How big is a 20.6" toptube? (I cant remember what my primate was)

cheers

How much do you reckon i should ask for my bmx?

Spec:

Frame: Federal division (not totaly sure)

Forks: Federal?

Stem: federal

Bars s&m something(will find out)

Cranks: Federal/ generic ones

Front wheel: easton hub, with Alex supra e rim

Rear wheel: Odyssey hazard hub, araya himiko rim.

cheers (Y)

I am REALLY tempted to get a bmx..now I have a job it could be a reality.

if I were to get one, I perhaps would have £500 to spend..maybe £700 if I sold my 24".

I would be mainly riding park and street (not as much though, dam countryside).

I dont know wether to buy a full bike or try and build my own, it could be hard to keep within the budget if I did build my own I think.

I have had a WTP primate before, but I never liked riding it, it was too short (cant remember the length) but I feel comming from a 1100 mbk, a lonish bmx would be good.

these bikes have interested me....

Fit Flow Park

WTP Phoenix pro

I like the wtp as its light, I REALLY want a light bike.

I am a bit worried I wont like the WTP as i hated my last one, but I guess the geo is different. How big is a 20.6" toptube? (I cant remember what my primate was)

cheers

primates are short - not sure on the exact length but compared to my 20.75" division Simon's (thedude on here) primate is pretty darn stumpy.

If you've got giant monkey arms like OBM you'll want a 21", if you're about 6' - 6'1" then a 20.6- 20.75 will probably be a nice normal sort of length.

I'm not sure which one I'd go with to be honest. the flow is nice and fashionable but the peetheweehole has goood cranks and weighs buggerall but there's not all that muc to choose between them. if you're worried about the length and you're a big lad then the fit might be a better choice. you can be pretty certain it rides nice - mr huck_it loves his flow and its the same geo

I don't get why you think I've got huge arms, I'm just 6'2" or so tall, hence I generally need a longer frame? Although as it is, I run one of the strongest short stems you can get (45mm), and have my bars leaning back a bit, so it feels pretty tight 'n' compact whilst still being nice and stable.

To be fair, WeThePeople bikes are pretty good, so if you're definitely just going to go for the complete option they may be worth a look in. Having said that, the new Colony complete bike is £425 and looks to be pretty amazing - double butted frame, butted forks, butted bars - whole nine yards. Limited edition too, ching ching!

Sponge - stay clear of anything Shadow Conspiracy. Their hubs are shit, their chains aren't all that, so I doubt their cranks will be either. They'll probably live up to their name. WTP Royals seem a safe bet, as do Hollowbites assuming you can deal with their ankle-biting tendencies.

Going back to the Skyways thing - Poopipe, you're worried about 36H wheels 'n' stuff but you're willing to get a 10mm axle on the back? Not to mention the whole 16t freewheel thing, meaning you won't be able to run 'real' gearing on a lot of modern frames that don't really allow over 36t sprockets on them. Sketchy idea!

How much do you reckon i should ask for my bmx?

Spec:

Frame: Federal division (not totaly sure)

Forks: Federal?

Stem: federal

Bars s&m something(will find out)

Cranks: Federal/ generic ones

Front wheel: easton hub, with Alex supra e rim

Rear wheel: Odyssey hazard hub, araya himiko rim.

cheers (Y)

Condition..?

Looking at £200 posted at most unless it is real good condition but don't expect more than that. Being the resale of Federal and Odyssey parts isn't alot.

Animal piff bars in white.

Animal edwin grips in purple.

Animal asm rear tyre.

Animal seat clamp in purple.

Animal hamilton unsealed pedals in black.

Profile imperial 33T sprocket in grape.

Oddessy senior seat in black.

Of course these bits are coming from the us of a because 1.) In total it comes to £96 from danscomp.com and 2.) It doesnt say the crappy "abikeco" thing.

Just wanted to give my bike a little update...Sooo...Shall I go for it?