Bmx Questions

BONGO

is a 36:15 gearing good to get?

been running for several months now and its the gearing i like the best :-

also, what does it mean when chrome rims start getting orangey patches on them?

steve. (Y)

yeah like mat says its wearing out.

No need to rush out to get a new rim though. If it's still working don't change it! It isn't any weaker...

Bashguards do need to be compatible with the sprocket so you need to ask what will fit your sprocket in the shop, or if you are gonna buy both together, i'd recomend getting a macneil full guard. They are still light.

john

dos anyone run 36:16 gearing if so wha is it like to easy or what also any one who runs 38/39:16 what is it like

I aint no bmxer, but when I had my bike thats what I ran....it was ok, still too hard for my liking though, I couldnt do rollback for shit. I guess I am too used to my nice easy trials gear which is mint for controling rollbacks.

Also, why when I spent hundreds on brake parts to make sure they were decent they were crap?

I had hulahoop chrome rims

evolver brakes front and rear

slic cables (tried nokon at one point!)

tech 77 levers

and plazmatic spanish fly pads

It was still utter crap, I could barley skid! And yes my rims and pads were clean, I used muck off, a clean rag, even wore latex gloves to not get any fingerprints on the rims for gods sake!!

thats probably the main reason why I quit bmx, I have no confidence if my brakes are crap.

I aint no bmxer, but when I had my bike thats what I ran....it was ok, still too hard for my liking though, I couldnt do rollback for shit. I guess I am too used to my nice easy trials gear which is mint for controling rollbacks.

Also, why when I spent hundreds on brake parts to make sure they were decent they were crap?

I had hulahoop chrome rims

evolver brakes front and rear

slic cables (tried nokon at one point!)

tech 77 levers

and plazmatic spanish fly pads

It was still utter crap, I could barley skid! And yes my rims and pads were clean, I used muck off, a clean rag, even wore latex gloves to not get any fingerprints on the rims for gods sake!!

thats probably the main reason why I quit bmx, I have no confidence if my brakes are crap.

That doesnt sound right. I'm using an Evolver with Kool stop pads on an araya chrome rim.

Using 1 finger for braking, my break never slips!

Maybe you were trying things with your bodyweight in the wrong place, i dunno.

I dont want to run 25:9 as it meens buying a new freehub body and dont realy want to do that as ive just bought a new rear wheel so will 25:10 be anything like it.Also what pedals should i get as primo ones dont have no grip at all.

Ben

25:10 should be ok, a little spinnier but still "ok"

get the attila pedals, onzaboyroy really likes his. they do look cool as shit too.

I dont want to run 25:9 as it meens buying a new freehub body and dont realy want to do that as ive just bought a new rear wheel so will 25:10 be anything like it.Also what pedals should i get as primo ones dont have no grip at all.

Ben

25-10 will be fine but you may need a half link. As for pedals shimano dx's.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm a newb to BMX.

Might be swapping my frame and forks for a Haro 540.

It doesn't have any brake pads with it so I'm told.

Anyway. What rear brake set-up would you reccommend? I'm looking at the Heatsink CNC backings with some Coust material. Would that be okay, or too grabby?

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0168oc.jpg

Pic.

Cheers. (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

ive read a couple of pages of this topic so if i missed the answer to my question i'm sorry!

What is a good bike for a budget of £200 - £300 or am i looking at getting more....it would help if i had a job (i'm only 14 and theres no paper jobs) so any suggestions on that too lol (Y)

You dont need brakes lol

I had bog standard pads (2x4's I think) on a midway chrome rim, evolver callipers and mono lever medium and that was beasty!!

All these aftermarket pads are pointless since you can make your brake beasty wihout, just need to get the caliper/lever pull right.

Best bet for a budget bmx is the wethepeople full build bikes, really good for what you pay (Y)