Bmx Questions

BONGO

You can just use ordinary talcum powder as opposed to expensive foot stuff to do that too.

The Fly Ruben tyres pwn to be fair. You may also wanna get him to check the rim-tape's covering all the holes fully, that there's no sharp bits inside the edge of the rim, and that there's no thorns still in his tyre or whatever :)

I think it could be that! Its only a shitty Appolo from halfords. I'll put a load of tape in should be okay after that.

talc makes your bike smell like a girl :P

who cares he's 8! lol

hey guys got a chance to buy this bike for $200 AUS ( about 80 pounds) just wondering if it would be a decent starter bike. It will be my first bmx ever !! I'm not to concerned about the parts just more wondering if the frame is any good ?

IPB Image

hey guys got a chance to buy this bike for $200 AUS ( about 80 pounds) just wondering if it would be a decent starter bike. It will be my first bmx ever !! I'm not to concerned about the parts just more wondering if the frame is any good ?

it's probably alright - can't imagine hoffman making anything too shite. do you know what model it is ?

according to this page.....ride bmx mag test thingy

in 2005 the cheaper disruptor (EL1) was part cromoly part boggo steel, the more expensive model (IL1) was full 4130 cromo and was slightly longer.

I imagine the previous year's models were pretty much the same. If its the more expensive one it's a pretty fine deal if it's still structurally sound - if it's the cheaper model with basically stock parts I'd say it wasn't such a good deal. full cromo is where it's at, boggo steel gets bent

Yeah that was what my main worry was, the frame not being fully cromo. I was hoping someone could tell me as I can't find any pictures as to an indication of what model disrupter it is. But I'll probably give it pass anyway and just keep looking. Thanks alot for help (Y)

Actually while I'm at it, what do you guys think about the DK 6 pack the baby blue one ?

Actually while I'm at it, what do you guys think about the DK 6 pack the baby blue one ?

It looks good to me

full cromo frame&fork, decent name parts all round (except maybe the brakes but you'll be taking those off before you ride it anyway)- not sure what sort of length you're after but trails/jumpy bikes tend to be fairly long so it's probably all good.

The only weak point (IMO) would be the odyssey freewheel - on account of them being complete wank - a replacement won't set you back much and you won't have to do it straight away so that's no reason at all not to buy the bike.

*pic*

Looks nice and short...

Im thinking about getting a fit logic frame with a 19.5" top tube, plus its in a sale :P . Will the shortness restrict my riding in anyway so to speak... I know that it will be lovely and flicky and im not all that tall either...

Link

Im thinking about getting a fit logic frame with a 19.5" top tube, plus its in a sale :P . Will the shortness restrict my riding in anyway so to speak... I know that it will be lovely and flicky and im not all that tall either...

it wont restrict at all, it'll just be a little less stable than a long one at speed. plenty of big people ride short frames

the only things that put me off getting one of them were the length and the weight. I was a little concerned about the long back end compared to such a short front end - if you find you loop out a lot on your current frame then this one could be for you

you might want to consider a federal hamilton linky instead - to my mind it sounds a bit more balanced geometry wise and weighs a pound less. if you do get one of these and want to run a gyro you need gyro tabs

Edited by poopipe

If your used to riding a trials bike you might be better off going for 20.75 top tube. The back end doesn't seem to matter to much as you can always adjust it a little which makes alot of difference.

The Hamilton frame is nice but being 20.5tt it's too short for me. With a 75ha it's pretty sweet.

Watch out for some of those fit bike completes. I know the older ones were only TIG welded which was very weak. I think they have improved on that now though.

it wont restrict at all, it'll just be a little less stable than a long one at speed. plenty of big people ride short frames

the only things that put me off getting one of them were the length and the weight. I was a little concerned about the long back end compared to such a short front end - if you find you loop out a lot on your current frame then this one could be for you

you might want to consider a federal hamilton linky instead - to my mind it sounds a bit more balanced geometry wise and weighs a pound less. if you do get one of these and want to run a gyro you need gyro tabs

f**k gyro's :P

But that Federal is sooo tempting... I think I'll have to get it :turned: but 19" or 20"? at the mo I have a 21" and I find i have to really force it around half way though to get it all around so all the smoothness goes out the window...

f**k gyro's :P

But that Federal is sooo tempting... I think I'll have to get it :turned: but 19" or 20"? at the mo I have a 21" and I find i have to really force it around half way though to get it all around so all the smoothness goes out the window...

since its a hamilton it'll instantly make you god on a bike so length won't matter (Y)

but seriously, an inch will make quite a lot of difference so i wouldn't necessarily go for the shortest one.

If you're getting a new stem, why not go for a short stem, but go for the 20" TT? Having the relative longer top-tube with a short stem should feel pretty damn awesome. I know changing from an Elementary to the shorter FBM stem I've got now made my bike feel a lot more fun to ride, and made it feel a lot more direct and flicky, which appears to be what you're going for? 19" is a pretty extreme drop, so just make sure you have a good think about that and what other componentry you're going for before laying down the dorrah.

I don't know if it's been linked anywhere else, but Winstanleys are doing the Hamilton for £89.99 with tabs, so get that and just get Ol' Junior the Hacksaw out and you're good to go.

If it has been said, I have just wasted my time :P

Oh eye, I wouldn't have noticed that. That's an extra 10 pounds in my pocket streight away, cheers marko. The only drawback is that they only have it in 19" if I want the tabs and extra £10. Actually looking again they only have 19" hamiltons in stock.

Instead of getting a 20" with a short stem, I could get a 19" with a long stem? How long's the Odessey Elementary? Im guessing you've sold your Elemantary stem but if you havn't i'd take it off your hands :P

Edited by Jaffacakes

I have sold it, and Elementarys are like 50mm or so? Either way, I'm prefering the feel of shorter stems. Longer stems always just feel a bit weird, almost? Like the way that you're steering with something further ahead of the fork just feels odd. Similar to how trials bikes feel shit to ride at speed? :P

Im guonna get the odessey stem I think.

Gearing time...

Im gonna get a 13T odessey freewheel and I want a pretty light ratio really. Would a 28 - 13 ratio be a joke to ride though? other than that Id get a 32T.

Whats the difference between the profile imperial sprocket and the profile imperial 7075 sprocket, Just the metals?

Im gonna get a 13T odessey freewheel

I've never heard anyone say anything good about odyssey 13t freewheels - I've also seen 2 dead ones in the last year (one was 2nd hand so christ knows how old it was before wing got it but the other one was new enough to be frightening)

If you want spinny gear try something like 33/36-14 any lower than that and i reckon you're going to struggle to get enough speed up for hucking yourself off stuff