"real" Trials

Simon

i think fletch is drawing his conclusions from the ride on saturday lol. where i had no front brake, rode like a dick on a shit (f**ked) bike and basically just arsed around with stuff cos it's all i could be bothered to do (it's winter) and i like riding fast haha

on group rides i like to be different and open peoples eyes but how do people know that in my own time i secretly go down town and hone my 50" touch skills :)

Edited by the boon

The way i see it the people who narrow down to one kind of riding are just loosing out.

I have a bike that i can happily kick a nice big fat rail gap OR if im not in the mood...... Go ride some park... or if im feeling creative ride a nice one foot ledge for a few hours and just play around.

I just want to be happy on my BIKE, call it trials call it bmx, call it 'stunt riding' :)

If i could.. Id try an interpret every kind of bike riding that will help me progress. People that will only try/do one type.. Theyre just hindering themselves as a rider.

But at the end of the day... Its a hobby, a past-time, something YOU do by choice becos YOU want to.

Sharn

Edited by sharn

I agree mink.

People were saying that trials is based on moto trials, thats true. Question is how did moto trials start? Maybe one person, or a few of them who started messing about on a motorbike trying to get up things. I'm sure that was no compition as they wouldn't have even thought about that when they first tried stuff like this out.

So if anybody wants to be bitchy about the origins of trials. Just remember it started with one person or a few, just having fun riding their bikes.

Wee history lesson, moto trials was created by motorbike couriers in the 1st world war (might have been second) as testing their skills against each other.

And kids play nicely. (Y)

Wee history lesson, moto trials was created by motorbike couriers in the 1st world war (might have been second) as testing their skills against each other.

And kids play nicely.  :P

No it wasn't. It's older than that!

The Scottish Six Days first ran in 1909, so it's at least that old (the SSDT wasn't revolutionary either). Of course back then there was no marks for putting your foot down (just getting up the hills was challenge enough), but it was still trials. I guess the problem here is what you define as the inception of trials: is it the first use of modern rulesets, or the first time people competed to get over difficult terrain on bikes?

bike trials as it is known is only like 15 years old max. In 1989ish the first competitor actually hopped on a bike and that was when it kicked off. before that they just used to get off the saddle and ride into stuff hoping to get over it not go over the bars.

My be incorrect but but thats what the extreme channel sed last week

Back the the arguement as it now is.

I am aware that Matt B can ride trials and he'd probly beat me at it but atm i am talking about styles. and his is more bmxy-trials alot of (not all) the time.

I don't usually like to be too blunt in posts, but this is getting silly.

It's just 'kin trials, isn't it?

In the same way diarrhoea is poo, so is a savagely dry crispy turd. It's a different style, and requires a different technique for delivery (and clean-up), but it's still poop, so why the differentiation? To all the people who are saying "Yay, let's all unite. It's such a pissant small sport anyway we should love each other", why not just stop pointing out the divide anyway? Why try and define what we all know?

See where I'm getting at?

McEDIT:

"Its like a BMX rider in a skate park, just riding the vert ramp, and abusing all the park riders around him for not riding real bmx, as thats what he defines as real."

I'm not poo-talking this post specifically, but it seems a hell of a lot of the time here, people are criticising rider's attitudes as opposed to the actual differentiation of the disciplines? People have been, can be, and will in the future be dicks, so...er...I've forgotten where I'm going.

Wicciky wicciky, beat box yo'.

i would say real trials is doing trials with your own style and variation on anything and everything.

e.g martyn ashton- can do natural. can do street. can do shows.

imo an all-round trials rider.

BUT i believe this is all down to a matter of opinion.

e.g v.hermance may think real trials is uci on everything-comp,street,natural,show.

What I think is happening is that Trials is starting to "branch off" into it's various forms, much the same way BMX did in the 80s.

People bought BMXes, things were learned, things started to happen (i.e. Vert, Street, Flatland) but this wasn't an overnight development, it took years for bikes and riders to evolve.

The same thing is happening in trials.

You know it's happening when a 26/20 frame is developed and marketed as Street, Comp etc, riders complaining their frame is too long/too short/wrong geometry for what they want to do blah blah you can see where I'm going......

I think the friction that we see nowadays between riders is "teething problems" with this evolution. This isn't their fault, it's just riders with their once unified opinion now seperating, and it's this difference of opinion that we cannot avoid.

The sport is getting bigger, it will peak some day just like BMX has, and one day we will all be on individual bikes doing individual but different things and we will all come together again and all will be calm (lol)

The last time I made a comment about this type of thing, I was verbaly raped...Anyway...

All I think is that people are trying to over complicate something which otherwise would be very simple. Considering the amount of different sports involving bikes out there, The difference between Matt B (Sorry dude, you should be taking this as a complement (Y) ) and his style of approaching obsticals and the way (for example) the Cousts do, is farely minimal. All he is doing is giving his moves style with more BMX orientated variations, whereas the Cousts may leave the back brake off when they tap. Despite appearing completely different, it's really the same stuff.

Anyway, like alot of others, I think I lost the point somewhere...but anyhoo.

Matt's probably quite a bad example...because I believe he's decieving us all. I think he switches his little red button under the BB shell, and his Curtis grows to 1100, he rips off his clothes to reveal a full length Curtis Lycra Trials suit ( for ages 10 - 13 for maximum tightness) and he goes a-tappin !

Edited by Matt

believe he's decieving us all. I  think he switches his little red button under the BB shell, and his Curtis grows to 1100, he rips off his clothes to reveal a full length Curtis Lycra Trials suit ( for ages 10 - 13 for maximum tightness) and he goes a-tappin !

honestly....i thought no one had seen that lil button there!!! i have hulked out on occasions and revealed the full howies lycra suit which i know and love. these days old is new, size 6 is the new size 12. if you're an XL you must go medium or less to be cool.

to be compared to the cousts or even in the same paragraph as them...omfg to be honest wtf mate. :"> :"> :"> i'm just honoured (Y)"

i think ben's point is awesome, if you're on a trials bike having fun. you rock!

I'm not having fun anymore so i'm going to backflip my bmx soon <_<

Too much bitchiness, strange coincidence but i've stopped enjoying it since pretty much when all the u.c.i "your bike must be at least 17ft long" crap started, i get called a bmxer cos i ride a zebdi,ride at more than 5mph, and have riser bars!

Cocks (Y)

Leon

I think all these arguments are just stupid as many people have said. I always associate trials with martyn ashton, hawyes, akrigg etc because thats who i watched in videos when i first started learning, not the coustelliers etc. I do respect them though, as they are amazing, but then again so is ashton and other 'older' riders. Plus berridge has proved he can ride 'proper' trials very well in his older videos like years ago, where he rips on most people on here. Im guessing he just changed his style to make things more interesting.

im not "big headed" at all i just feel very strongly about my opinions and sometimes get into arguments about it. yes i am a twat sometimes (maybe alot of the time) and bongo i think your a sound chap and engoyed chatting to you a bit at tech <_<. if none of you like my opinions i will happily keep them to myself from now on because it seems as though people are getting rather pissed off by it

apology accepted :) (Y)

im not "big headed" at all i just feel very strongly about my opinions and sometimes get into arguments about it. yes i am a twat sometimes (maybe alot of the time) and bongo i think your a sound chap and engoyed chatting to you a bit at tech :). if none of you like my opinions i will happily keep them to myself from now on because it seems as though people are getting rather pissed off by it

apology accepted :) (Y)

Dont, opinion's are opinion's at the end of the day. I didnt start this topic for it to turn into a UCI vs the world, or street vs the world, it was meant to be a general discussion, didnt turn out to well but you can certainly see how trials is/has changed with the growth of UCI. Making people believe in different types of riding

I doubt there can ever be a level ground now, as at the end of the day, you cant change people's own opinion's. I will still ride my bike for fun, the way i like it. There will however be some people calling it fake, and such like.

Yeah bongo, it wasnt the best example but the only one i could think off, of the top of my head :">

Also, sorry for any slagging matches my discussion has caused, it was'nt meant too <_<

i'm just a kid making videos.

I like it how the people causing the arguements in this thread choose to compare you to the world champions... accolade or what!

Real trials? There's no such thing. Trials encompasses a whole load of different styles and techniques. I know this thread was meant to be a discussion about these different variations, but we're all riding our bikes, and we're all riding trials, hopefully all having fun... I really don't understand why people have to look down on the other sub-disciplines of trials and brandish it "shit."

I won't go on, as I'll end up repeating what other more level-headed people on here have already said.

Above all, enjoy your riding, for now. You'll probably have grown out of doing silly tricks on funny little bikes by the time you've finished uni, most probably before...

im not "big headed" at all

hahaha yes you are.

I have done a comp like twice in my whole life and I have never instantly hated someone until I heard you. It was like "Daddy carry my bike from section to section because I am too important to do such petty work" (it went something like that (Y) )

anyway, trials is trials, but there are different styles. Ok Matt B can't fronthook a soddin telephone box but he really doesn't give a shit about going bigger and bigger. And I can tell you now that if he still rode hoppy hoppy trials style like he used to he'd be a damn sight better than you.

And basically you may think you are better than him in general at riding, but you have f**k all style compared and to matt thats all that matters. Style.

God I hate you child. (Y)

hahaha yes you are.

I have done a comp like twice in my whole life and I have never instantly hated someone until I heard you. It was like "Daddy carry my bike from section to section because I am too important to do such petty work" (it went something like that  (Y)  )

anyway, trials is trials, but there are different styles. Ok Matt B can't fronthook a soddin telephone box but he really doesn't give a shit about going bigger and bigger. And I can tell you now that if he still rode hoppy hoppy trials style like he used to he'd be a damn sight better than you.

And basically you may think you are better than him in general at riding, but you have f**k all style compared and to matt thats all that matters. Style.

God I hate you child.  (Y)

i carry my own bike thanks :) so god knows where this has come from must have me mistaken for someone else. who gives a f*ck if people think matt b is better than me ive seen him ride and ive seen myself ride thanks. youve seen me ride a hoppy hoppy biu competition and incase you have not noticed i am a uci rider. if you dont like me that is fine with me. and i said above i apologise for having my own opinions.

i carry my own bike thanks (Y) so god knows where this has come from must have me mistaken for someone else. who gives a f*ck if people think matt b is better than me ive seen him ride and ive seen myself ride thanks. youve seen me ride a hoppy hoppy biu competition and incase you have not noticed i am a uci rider. if you dont like me that is fine with me. and i said above i apologise for having my own opinions.

sorry my eyes must have deceived me...yer right.