Helium In Tyres!

SQuiT-man

It's not weight though, is it?  Or am I thinking like a 'tard?  'cos does it have to be the same weight to exert the same pressure?

No, not really. If you think of 2 diffrent objects the same size (size equal to PSI) a brick and a price of drift wood for example. The wood is the lightest however it's the same size as the brick because the molecules in wood must obviously be lighter than the molecules in a brick. So in this example we have the same amount of air and helium compressed. However the helium is lighter because the molecules are lighter. The only thing that does stay the same is the pressure.

it would probably be easier and take more weight off to remove the stickers from your frame.

somebody said somert about making your frame air tight and putting helium in the frame, well there is a frame from syntace that has a valve on its downtube so that yuou can put air in the frame to ''tune te feel''

syntace trials frame

Yeah that was me and I was taking the piss. Who the hell are Syntace? What the pissing point in that? Most of you people on here are so f**king sad. You would probably buy anything with a brand on it if it was lighter. I can't belive the lengths how stupid some people on here actually take just to save a few grammes. I could understand if you had an applo cast iron frame drop forged from the sky. But you don't you have a few lbs bikes. I don't think 500g would make anyone a better rider, or the bike.

Who the hell are Syntace? What the pissing point in that?

Syntace are a very highly respected bicycle component manufacturer. And the point of that, is so you can use really thin tubes, pressurising your downtube to around 400 PSI so it doesnt dent. It works too.

Syntace are a very highly respected bicycle component manufacturer. And the point of that, is so you can use really thin tubes, pressurising your downtube to around 400 PSI so it doesnt dent. It works too.

ah so thats how it works, thats cleared it up for me, thanks.

Yeah I just bought a brand new top spec bike, I think I might drill the frame out. it might make me better.

Put some road bike tyres on when you have done that, the weight loss would be phnominal!

(Y)

40 ps.i. does NOT weigh the same as 40 p.s.i. of air. It is much lighter. Otherwise, helium baloons (which are under the same pressure when the baloon is pumped up to the same size with any gas because the pressure is caused by the atmosphere and the elasticity of the baloon pulling inwards, whcih does not change) would weigh the same as normal air baloons!

Pumping up roadie wheels with helium would be far more stupid, because the tyres are soooo thin and tiny, they hold very little air, and the HUGE pressures some of them ride at would be more likely to push the tiny helium molecules through their thin tyres.

I just thought it would be a cool idea to have like mini helium baloons as tyres, and wondered if it would work.

Pumping up roadie wheels with helium would be far more stupid, because the tyres are soooo thin and tiny, they hold very little air, and the HUGE pressures some of them ride at would be more likely to push the tiny helium molecules through their thin tyres.

Yes but if there was a significant advantage to using it, wouldn't it have already of happened in roadie world because of the larger r&d budgets.