Helium In Tyres!

SQuiT-man

I read something on a topic here the other day about the idea of having helium in tyres which made me think.

Has anyone actually tried it before?

By the way 30 psi helium would be lighter than 30 psi air (which someone said it wouldnt on this topic), as is proven by baloons- the air in a regular baloon is at the same pressure as the helium in a helium baloon, but the helium baloon is much lighter!)

It probably wouldnt make much difference on the bikes weight anyway, but I mite try it when I can get hold of sum helium anyway for a laugh!

Scott

I read something on a topic here the other day about the idea of having helium in tyres which made me think.

Has anyone actually tried it before?

By the way 30 psi helium would be lighter than 30 psi air (which someone said it wouldnt on this topic), as is proven by baloons- the air in a regular baloon is at the same pressure as the helium in a helium baloon, but the helium baloon is much lighter!)

It probably wouldnt make much difference on the bikes weight anyway, but I mite try it when I can get hold of sum helium anyway for a laugh!

Scott

helium molecules are smaller so they'll pass through your tubes. suppose in a sense that is lighter :o

Pete

Edited by tipsy Jock

Me and a friend were talking about this in our physics lesson. He said that helium has a lower pressure anyway, thats why its lighter. So 40psi of air and helium will weigh the same. but i didnt think it was right.

:o

For the same mass of gas (same volume and pressure), helium weighs one seventh the weight of air.

Wow, so if my whole bike was air, it would weigh around 3.5lbs. Unfortunately it's not, so I'd save about 2 g and have to pump up my tyres all the time...

Hhhhmmm, also would mean carrying a helium tank around on your trials incase you got a flat. :o but yeah, 40 PSI of helium is the same weight as 40 PSI of normal air, plus it may risk explosion if your not careful, then you'd need new bits, all to save 4g? (Y) Nah, sod that...

Edited by stuntsbyjon

Hhhhmmm, also would mean carrying a helium tank around on your trials incase you got a flat.  :o but yeah, 40 PSI of helium is the same weight as 40 PSI of normal air, plus it may risk explosion if your not careful, then you'd need new bits, all to save 4g?  (Y)  Nah, sod that...

Keep it in your downtube, like Syntace. Plus, helium isnt explosive, you have a real job on to get it to react with anything. If you want to save more weight: Hydrogen, half the density of helium, and you'll go up like the Hindenburg if you run over a fag end :P

Helium (He) is the second lightest element (hydrogen being the lightest) with a gaseous specific gravity of 0.138. It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless inert gas at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. Its boiling point is -452.1°F (-268.9°C) at atmospheric pressure. Helium is present in dry air at a concentration of 0.0005%.

Helium is one of the noble gases. Like the other noble gases, helium is chemically inert. Reactions with other elements occur only with difficulty and the resulting compounds are quite unstable.

Helium is the most difficult of all gases to liquefy and is impossible to solidify at atmospheric pressure. These properties make liquid helium extremely useful as a refrigerant and for experimental work in producing and measuring temperatures close to absolute zero. Liquid helium can be cooled almost to absolute zero at normal pressure by rapidly removing the vapor above the liquid.

First discovered in the spectrum of the sun's corona during an eclipse in 1868, helium was first isolated from terrestrial sources in 1895. In 1907 British physicist Sir Ernest Rutherford showed that alpha particles are the nuclei of helium atoms.

Helium is the second most abundant element in the universe, after hydrogen; however, it is rare on earth. Its principal source is natural gas wells where the helium is extracted from pockets in the crude natural gas stream and purified. It is so light that once released it escapes the earth's atmosphere and cannot be recovered.

Helium is widely used as an inert gas in the arc welding process and as an inert gas in the production of reactive materials. Its permeation rate and ease of detectability make it an ideal medium for leak detection. Also, its low specific gravity and nonflammability allow its use in lighter-than-air applications such as the filling of balloons and blimps. To reduce risk of the bends, a mixture of helium and oxygen is used as a breathing gas for deep-sea diving, since helium is less soluble in human blood than nitrogen. Helium is also used in the pressurizing of rockets before takeoff and the pressurizing of tanks of rocket fuel. Liquid helium is used in superconducting magnet applications, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

DOT Information

DOT Name: Helium

DOT Hazard Class: Nonflammable Gas

DOT Label: Nonflammable Gas

DOT ID No.: UN1046

CAS No.: 7440-59-7

Valve Outlet: CGA 580

Physical State in High Pressure Cylinder: Gas

Major Hazards: High Pressure Suffocation

Fire Potential: Non-Flammable

Physical Properties of Helium

Formula: He

Molecular Weight: 4.003 lb/mol

Specific Volume at 70°F and 1 atm: 96.71 ft3/lb (6.00 m3/kg)

Specific Heat: 4.97 BTU/lbmol-deg F@ 70 deg. F

Specific Gravity: .138

Gas Density: .010346 lb/ ft3 @ 70 deg. F. 14.7 PSIA

Boiling Point: Temperature: -452.1 deg. F (-268.9 deg. C)

Liquid Density: 7.804 lb./ft3

Latent Heat: 8.778BTU/lb.

Critical Point: Temperature: -450.3 deg. F

Pressure: 33.2 PSIA

Melting Point: Temperature: 455.8 deg. F

Pressure: .0735 PSIA

now be quiet all of you

If this sort of thing was possible I'd of though it would have been done in roadie racing already? Can't really see the advantages apart from a few grams less seeing as air is so light already though. Suppose if you got bored you could suck in your tyres and try to chat up some ladies (Y)"

come on now guys this is getting stupid. look at some of the stuff people can do without realy light bikes. e.g tra bla bla bla. i think it just takes practice not realy stupid light bikes. and even the bikes. look wat they were like when trials started. gt outpost ha any ways (Y) night night

would b different to have hellium in ur tubes though :P

You should try riding around with a really big bunch of helium filled baloons tied to your bike. Or perhaps filling your frame with helium and making it air tight.

OR when your out riding bring up the console and try sv_gravity 100 aaaahahahahahahahahahahaha to much cs (Y) :P :P

Edited by Adamm

I don't think the post is about making you better on a bike, and the lighter the bike the better. Its just a thought.  (Y)

Yeah I just bought a brand new top spec bike, I think I might drill the frame out. it might make me better.

Edited by Adamm