Home Made Headset Press

andrew69

hi,

i was thinking about makeing one out of a long bolt a old top race to fit in the cup and a big washer and nut at the over end which ill do up to puch the cup in?

so has anyone made one that workes? and do you think mine will work aslong as i keep the headset cup going in strate?

Thanks Andrew

Urrr, do what most people do, hammer. I've used it in my ck headset in my control, and a friends ck headset in a python.

I just got a big rubber mallet, with like a 2" diameter head. No clumsy wood needed.

If you're too pansey to do that, get a mate to do it, or find another shop that has cool people working there. The job only takes 20 seconds to do! >_<

Mike. B)

nothink rong with a hammer!!!!

but im not using it on a £450 frame

but anyway this topick is about how to make a press not how to put a head set in ok >_<

Andrew

Jees, it's a £450 quid frame, i'd use the same technique if i was using it on a £20 frame, than if i was using it on a £2000 frame.

We are telling you how to make a headset press.

Actually, i've just seen a mint headset press for £2.99!! B)

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wce...01&wci=product]

Mike.

hi,

i was thinking about makeing one out of a long bolt a old top race to fit in the cup and a big washer and nut at the over end which ill do up to puch the cup in?

so has anyone made one that workes? and do you think mine will work aslong as i keep the headset cup going in strate?

Thanks Andrew

It can be easilly done, your way sounds quite good and should work, as all it is is a a long bolt and 2 nuts on either end and 2 things the size of the inside of the headset to push against, then just get a snanner on both ends and screw in.

I used to use a hammer, it was a pain in the backside, then I got a headset press and I can literlly put a headset in the frame in about 60 seconds, its sooo easy, so i'd say headset presses are worth it indeed, and there is so little to them.

You can even put some roler bearings at each end so it turns smoothly.

Phil.

my lbs uses a long bolt with big washers and a nyloc nut one one end and a normal one on the other end.

i wouldnt use the hammer idea, it just seems way too dodgy!

the bolt idea wont take long to make, isnt expensive and will make a good job of it >_<

hammers are for apes.

B)

Will

me and my dad made one how you have mentioned but had trouble getting it to centre at the start.

so we got an old plastic bit of the end of a hose pipe(orange or yellow usually) ans put that on the bolt too and voila it has worked twice so far and i havent cracked the frame or damaged it.

yours should work fine mate just go carefull. will get some pics of mine if you want?

OK heres how to make one....

gallery_1044_275_1471.jpg

Red is a threaded rod.

Black is big washers or anything else you can find that is the right size...

Green are nuts.

Put the rod through your headtube, put the headset over the rod, line up, put on the washers, tighten up the bolts.

Or buy a mallet you plank (Y)"

Sam

Jees, it's a £450 quid frame, i'd use the same technique if i was using it on a £20 frame, than if i was using it on a £2000 frame.

We are telling you how to make a headset press.

Actually, i've just seen a mint headset press for £2.99!! (Y)

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wce...01&wci=product]

Mike.

haaahahahahahahahaaaa that made me laugh!

corish