Dot 5.1 In Maggies

nbr-chris

No i dont think you can, maguras are designed for mineral oil, not dot, so what you can do, just go down to yur local car shop and buy either mineral oil or alot of people use citoren suspension oil. I not sure why you cant use dot, i kow that when a car place put the wrong stuff in someones car i know, all of the seals/rubbers in the system had to be replaced. and as it was an old classic rolls royce it was abit expensie.

YES!! it will kill the seals! they are not designed to be used with any form of Dot, same as Dot seals will die if you use mineral oil. All magura brakes must be bled with mineral oil (if you are short of cash, go to halfords and get a big bottle of citroen suspension fluid, which is chemically identical to the old green magura oil (i think) but i find royal blood still works better :huh:

Edit: bugger, beat me to it! (N)

the reason you can't use Dot is simply becuse magura seals are not made of the same rubber that is used in cars, motorbikes etc (and Hope/Hayes brakes)

Edited by Wayne-king

Ok cheers guys, i thought it probably would kill them but its worth checking.

I was using the citrone oil before and it seemed to be ok but my trials has been stuck upstairs for months and somehow the hoseings got caught on something and pissed all the oil out (N)

erm....yeah :huh:

ignore the water bit, magura didn't design their brakes to run on water, so don't use water (N) especially if you ever want to use magura fluid again, becasue mineral oil doen't absorb water (like Dot) so it emulsifies inside the brake and makes a nice white/grey gungy mess which wrecks the hosing and the slave cylinders because it's a right bitch to flush out!

erm....yeah (N)

ignore the water bit, magura didn't design their brakes to run on water, so don't use water :huh: especially if you ever want to use magura fluid again, becasue mineral oil doen't absorb water (like Dot) so it emulsifies inside the brake and makes a nice white/grey gungy mess which wrecks the hosing and the slave cylinders because it's a right bitch to flush out!

Im a little sceptical about this, its not an issue any way, as once you start using water your not gonna wanna go back to any form of oil!

You can always gice your hoses etc. timwe to dry out before you refill wirh mineral oil if your that bothered, (N)

Water is free!!!!!!

If you're going to put it in 'eventually', who not just do it first? :)\ My rear Magura was bled with some standard blue Magura Blood, and it's been fine for 2 years. Not a single re-bleed or anything. Lever action's fine (apart from it's crimped like an...er...crimped thing). Just don't get the fuss about water and stuff?

Everytime ive used LHm its been totally rubbish...lever return was so slow i'd let go of the lever and the pads would sorta gloop back in. Happened every time i bled, was all clean and everything.

I say magura oil, WD40/GT85, or water. I personally use water.

Noz.

its up to you but in my opinion i wouldn't use any thing apart from mineral they are supposed to have it in for a reason.you will find it soon after using WD40 or water and it will ruin your seals.just spend the extra bit of money and get a brake that works for a longer time.Every 1 i know who has used any thing other than mineral oil has regretted it!its not worth it.

(just an opinion don't slate me for it )

Lil D