Tenique Help

Dr. Nick Riviera

well ive pretty much got the basics fo backwheeling done but can get very high at all , ( ridicule my 12" lol) i dare you

but ive been using the bad foot / good foot method but cant seem to get higher than about 4 /5 bricks . now ive tried throwing everything up and forwards / but still no prevail.

is it just practise practise practise? or is there some technique i need to learn .

cheers

Your doing exactly what I started doing. Don't. Get your good foot forward and then put in a full pedal stroke so that your good foot lands forward when you land on the back wheel. It will take a while to get timing right but keep practising.

Couldn't agree more, I started doing this recently and it's really helped (Y)

Also, it'll sound wierd but if you watch TRA or Hermance videos they'll kinda stand on the spot, keeping quite low and balancing, or in sence, trackstanding, but keeping both wheels facing forward by bouncing the front end about, this is quite handy, as it allows you to push straight off into the move, and I also find that keeping that little bit lower helps too.

Sorry if that's hard to understand (Y)

Charlie come to the southampton ride and ill give you a crash course lesson im "okish" at backwheeling!

all i do at the moment is steady stride then with my wrong foot forward! one pedel stroke while i shift my body weight forward. then when my cranks are level with my good foot forward i start to tuck up the bike.

its eaisyer shown then written to explain (Y)

gallery_91_37_1099526340.jpg

Is that any help? Just some screen shots of me backwheeling one of the walls in town. It's actually the only video of me backwheeling anything, anywhere, apart from the "practise rock" down by the chip shop. So yeah, it kinda gives you a pictorial guide.

i have never actually thought about backwheeling in this context, i have always just pedalled and up!? (Y)

next time im out i will think about my pedal stroke and try to improve it. i can get to about bar height maybe a tad more at a push.

haha, im actually sat on my pc chair pedalling my feet trying to figure out my technique?! hemmm... i shall start worrying now!

have you tried bunnyhopping to backwheel? im gonna start trying this and making the most of my 'short bike'

i have never actually thought about backwheeling in this context, i have always just pedalled and up!? (Y) 

next time im out i will think about my pedal stroke and try to improve it. i can get to about bar height maybe a tad more at a push.

haha, im actually sat on my pc chair pedalling my feet trying to figure out my technique?! hemmm... i shall start worrying now!

have you tried bunnyhopping to backwheel? im gonna start trying this and making the most of my 'short bike'

Haha, im just trying to work it out aswell. I'm not very good at backwheeling, but i have tried a few techniques, and im trying to learn to tap, and bunnyhop up things.

I dont have a clue what im doing with my feet at the moment... :">

I've hit about 26" and now im stuck...I can do just over it and now im poo'd. I take a bit of a run up and go from bad foot forward and do a pedal so my good foots forward and when im in the air i tend to lean backwards (to go up) and then suck my lags behind me so that I start to come up flat but I tend to either not make it up enough or make it but land to far backwards...should I be doing more with my body weight? If someone can post a clip, slow-mo stylie, of them backwheeling as high as poss thatd be cool!

James

should I be doing more with my body weight?

Yes. It's ALL to do with weight. As JJ said: Throw your weight and the bike will follow. Make an effort to kinda jump up at the same time as doing the pedalling thing. When you get it sorted for 26", try a bit higher, throwing your weight more.

A video of someone tapping 52" isn't gonna help you in the slightest. At 26", carry on with that technique.

i will give you one tip on how to tap.

dont lean back when you tap. lean into the wall(it may sound scary but it works)

and everyone is telling you to lean back LOADS!. dont, only lean back a little bit. so when you hit the edge of the wall you drag your brake so it sorts of manuals you onto the top of the wall.

aust

Just remember to visualise the move before you go for it.

When you do attempt it, remember to exaggerate every movement. Really thrust those hips upwards!

I find watching the vids of DJ backwheeling to be quite inspirational; he really does put a lot of effort into his backwheeling.

Deffo learn to do it with a full pedal stroke . . . . .

start with your good foot and on the first 3/4 turn you crouch down and back and on the last push with your good foot go fowards and up - you basically jump off your good foot.

after you get to 2 and a half - three feet you should maybe start to learn the old tap (or slam as you get higher)

as aust says (back posting then) dont lean back when you tap - that ll just send the back wheel straight into the bottom of the wall . oh and also when you tap finish the full pedal stroke before hitting the front into the wall.

Its all good though - i learnt to bunnyhop everything first so im probs not the right person to talk to...

have fun

RJ

Yeah, but he was silly though.  He used to backwheel 45" or something without a tap :blink:

He definately did pull off some silly high backwheeling whithout a tap.

His vids are good to watch because he exagerates every movement which makes it easy to see how the technique is used.

when tapping dont use and rely all on your power from your pedals. compress down with knees and your tyres will give a little bit. then direct your wheel into the wall, then , lift up and your knees and tyres will rebound you up. (Y)

He definately did pull off some silly high backwheeling whithout a tap.

His vids are good to watch because he exagerates every movement which makes it easy to see how the technique is used.

It was 49" (Y)

EDIT:

I don't get all this backwheeling stuff, I can never seem to see where the advantage is of the pedally bit?

I appreciate I have a short bike (ashon ET) and some of you longer riders, may need to just do it to get the front up, but apart from that what is the point of doing it? I'm not having a go, it obviously works, DJ, Rowan Johns doing like 4ft+ but I always seem to find bunnyhopping easier? or is this because im relativly shite? :sick:

Edited by rich4130

I don't get all this backwheeling stuff, I can never seem to see where the advantage is of the pedally bit?

I appreciate I have a short bike (ashon ET) and some of you longer riders, may need to just do it to get the front up, but apart from that what is the point of doing it? I'm not having a go, it obviously works, DJ, Rowan Johns doing like 4ft+ but I always seem to find bunnyhopping easier? or is this because im relativly shite? (Y)

If you're bunny hopping I'd guess you'd need a bigger run up to get some speed, with pedalling you can go from a standstill, and it's generally alot more controlled.

I've hit about 26" and now im stuck...I can do just over it and now im poo'd. I take a bit of a run up and go from bad foot forward and do a pedal so my good foots forward and when im in the air i tend to lean backwards (to go up) and then suck my lags behind me so that I start to come up flat but I tend to either not make it up enough or make it but land to far backwards...should I be doing more with my body weight? If someone can post a clip, slow-mo stylie, of them backwheeling as high as poss thatd be cool!

James

I'm in exactly the same situation, backwheeling about 26-27" when my brake will lock and hold the backwheel. I'm not sure what techniques apart from front bumping I can use. For small things I sometimes forward hop but any larger and I try to use my feet like: power with right, left and then up with the right or power with left then up with right as I'm right footed. Any help appreciated (Y)

Exaggerate the movement more. Sounds like you're getting the timing right, but your weight is not over the wall, because you haven't jumped enough. When I try to backwheel over around 30" or so, I just imagine really jumping my body weight up. I.e. Start slightly crouched and as your front wheel comes off the ground, throw your weight upwards. Obviously for higher walls, exaggerate more.

Theres a mystical range of heights, probably between 25-30in which are too high to pedal up and too low to tap. Doing either just feels arkward and so when summat in my way is that height, I either replace or hop to backwheel up it

Edited by JTM

I still haven't learnt how to tap properly. I guess I should, but I dunno... I just need to get round to doing it. Got 47.5" sans tap though, so hopefully I'll get nearer/past 50" with a tap... I've always found that with the higher backwheels (36-40"+) it's properly important to get your body positioning/weight positioning right. Up to 3ft, you can basically blag it however you want, just using pedal power - but above it it just gets a bit sketch, and you need to move your body properly. You're straining the brake shitloads, so you need to help it out by getting your body position more towards the backwheel/BB sorta area by bending your knees more. If the brakes are slipping, it generally means your weight's too far back, so you're not really 'on' the wall. The same's basically true if you haven't got it up properly. You really need to throw the bars forwards, but remember to keep some weight over the front so you 'stick' the bike up there. I can't really think how to explain it properly (Which is pretty obvious :">), 'cos I generally just go blank when I'm riding, but just keep at it. If the tyre's not getting high enough, throw the bike up a bit harder/try getting a bit more power out of the pedals. What gear ratio are you running? If it's too spinny/too hard, you're going to be pissing in the wind anyway, so make sure your set-ups dialled either way. I was running 22:14 with 170mm cranks, then changed to 18:12 with 158mm cranks, and it was so much easier to do stuff (on mod, that is). Just give it some beans, really...