Widest Rim In A Base?

CurtisRider

righty im still trying to decide on which rim to buy for my base but before i go and buy any old rim i wanna know whats the widest rim that can be fitted in it?

ive noticed viz rims come in a ridiculously(sp) wide size but im doubting that would fit in my bike!!

i run a magura if that makes any difference and dont want to bodge the back brake/cut the pads down :ermm:

cheers (Y)

Edited by pauloliver

I'm running a Ronnie (38mm) in mine, and I've been able to run pads that are around 14mm (from the top of the pad material to the bottom of the backing) in comfortably, you may be able to squeeze in 15mm but 14mm is your safest bet :ermm:

Basically any pad will work with the set-up, you will have to switch your mounts around, though I'm sure you knew that one . . . .

I'm running a Ronnie (38mm) in mine, and I've been able to run pads that are around 14mm (from the top of the pad material to the bottom of the backing) in comfortably, you may be able to squeeze in 15mm but 14mm is your safest bet :ermm:

I run a Ronnie (38mm) in mine too and it fit just with the 10mm heatsink pads with the mounts the normal way round. And while were on the subject i run a 2.5 Maxxis Minion and it fits fine (Y)

Cool cool  Just seems a bit odd that a coupel of others have found 47mm wouldn't be close... maybe a different batch of frames or something?  Who knows

well my frames a 2005 if that makes any difference?

so im definately safe with a ronnie :ermm: any other rims that are the same size?

Basically any pad will work with the set-up, you will have to switch your mounts around, though I'm sure you knew that one . . . .

id completely forgotten about flipping the magura mounts :( would of remembered if i was tryin to set the brake up though :-"

bendee has a spare rim thats 47mm and i wondered if it would fit- ill have to wait and see how many other people with bases have tried it and hope they post here :S

cheers so far :-

No heavier than a koxx rim i'd say... A lot stronger too.

745g for the Echo, 747g for Onza Hog (same rim as the Koxx) - nothing in it :ermm:

DX32 clones are BMF, OnZa Full Fat, Megamo (unavailable now), Phatso.

Can't really go wrong with an Echo or a Ronnie - very solid, reliable rims, grind up well too; good all-rounders.

I run a Ronnie (38mm) in mine too and it fit just with the 10mm heatsink pads with the mounts the normal way round.  And while were on the subject i run a 2.5 Maxxis Minion and it fits fine :-

You got a picture of that? Not that I don't believe you but I wanna see what I did wrong, as when I tried to fit 10mm Heatsinks I didn't have a chance! Perhaps my wheel's a little off centre or something :ermm:

I've got a bmf in my base and i'm running a standard maggie with standard black pads. literally took it out the box and fitted it. theres loads of room too. I had to move the cylinders a lot further in towards the rim than i thought. I've got about each cylinder moved in about 6-7mm. I've got a 2.5 michelin comp 24 as well. fit's with loads of room to spare.