• 30-35
    • 35-40
    • 40-45
    • 45-50
    • 50-55
    • 55-60
    • 60+

hey guys.

bit of a random one, but i was wondering roughly want kinda mpg you lot get from your cars, as mine seems INCREDIBLY expensive to run!

last week it did less than 20mpg, and the best ive EVER returned was 26mpg :( but i think that was a bit lucky!

its not as if im running a massively powerful motor, its just a very midly tuned 1300.

the crazy thing is, it seems to hardly change with my driving style.

i can have a week of driving very fast and return around 22mpg, or a week of driving SUPER slow and conservatively and it still only returns 24mpg :D which makes me think driving slowly just isnt worth it!

all this fuel is making the car VERY expensive to run, and im going to have to start leaving it at home and riding into college more often :S

so

what sorta mpg do u get from what size engines?

cheers

prawny

i work it out by miles to 20 quid around 180 miles too 20 quid is my norm with some fast driving every now and then :( 1.8 i vw vento

book your car in and have a tune get the mixture set to about 2.0 on the co  :P

mixture was set at the mot test station jsut a few weeks ago

it went in reading 17 on the co's :P

came out reading 2.3, legal limit is 3.4 i think.

it ran SO shit with the mixture set lean it ran horridly!!!!

so i turned it back up straight away!

tank size = 43 litres (9 gallons)

cost to fill = about £33

miles per tank = 245 90% of which was at motorway cruising speed of 100mph

miles per gallon = 27

i had the same problem as u prawn mate. i just worked that out on the weekend cos i drove up north and on the way up i thought the petrol was goin down uber fast. so i reset the counter and got 245 out of my tank.

seems 27mpg isn't too bad for a 1200 clio :("

I'm not sure what i get out of mine, but im pretty sure that i get less out of it than my sister did when she drove the car... she used to put around £10 a week... where as im going through about double that.... Maybe i'm going twice as far though :(

I have got a nice long drive to the hampshire comp on sunday, so i'll reset the clock, and see what i get out of a tank :P

I usually put £30 in each trip to the petrol station (roughly 80p per litre) and that will get me between 350-400 miles depending on my driving style. I cant be arsed to figure that out as mpg but if someone else wants to they can, the parkers guide says a 1 litre 106 does approx 44mpg though.

I have been getting less miles out of a tank recently, im not sure if that is due to me pushing the car more or if there is a problem. Im 90% sure we found a hole in the exhaust last night (Y)

Thats in my 954cc [1 litre] 4 speed 106 that is constantly in high revs while I am driving. Many people say I drive it like a go-kart (Y) I have successfully reached the rev limit on every gear appart from 4th (Y)

"Tic"

I take it you drive the Mini in the pic.

Have you upgraded your carb? It seems you are overfuleing, or you have a leak.

Get the car on some axle stands and have a good look underneath at all the pipes and the tank.

Try this with you tank full, if you have a hole high up in your tank, you will loose fuel until it drops below the hole.

Ive seen this happen alot.

If you did upgrade you carb, was it jetted right? if the jets are too big, then you will be over fuleing.

Also give your car a good service and adjust the tappets.

That should see it run better.

You will need to get your car on a gas anyliser, to set it up correclty.

Did you just wind the mixture screw until it ran better?

It sounds alot like overfueling.....

The yaris averages about 50mph,

Because it's japanese and got a good onboard computer and chipped engine management it goes right upto about 65mpg on motorways / freeways.

On the screen in the dash it tells you your MPG in realtime, pushing it up through the gear box gives it the lowest, around 25, rolling along at 30 averages about 45, and freeways / national speed roads gives it about 60-65...

It's only a 1.0 litre though, so not the fastest thing on earth, but very cheap to run! (Y)

I take it you drive the Mini in the pic.

Have you upgraded your carb? It seems you are overfuleing, or you have a leak.

Get the car on some axle stands and have a good look underneath at all the pipes and the tank.

Try this with you tank full, if you have a hole high up in your tank, you will loose fuel until it drops below the hole.

Ive seen this happen alot.

If you did upgrade you carb, was it jetted right? if the jets are too big, then you will be over fuleing.

Also give your car a good service and adjust the tappets.

That should see it run better.

You will need to get your car on a gas anyliser, to set it up correclty.

Did you just wind the mixture screw until it ran better?

It sounds alot like overfueling.....

hey (Y)

unfortunately its not being overfueled at all!

the carb is the correct one for an mg metro, with the correct needle and its all been set up on a rolling road.

what mods have u done to yours matt?

when i say minor mods i do have a £400 stage 3 head fitted, and a few other little things.

ive had a few fuel leaks in the past, and its had all new lines and such like fitted.

tappets are all set at 12thou after i did the head gasket a few months ago, my car is never 'serviced' as such, as i change the oil every 2000miles, and the plugs and leads every 4000 to keep it all running at its best!

i guess its more likely going to be to do with the gearbox ratio and having such a low final drive (Y)

Thats with some rev limiter driving

oh what it would be to have a rev limiter!!!!

mine just keeps going until it runs out of steam, up hill thats around 6000rpm, downhill it appears to be limitless although ive never dared to pass 6700rpm with my std bottom end for fear of a conrod deciding to end its run of service prematurely....