Pain In My Writs = Rsi

Michael Hardman

I was gonna post and say that it might be that... but seemed to be a load of other explainations so i didnt bother...

Rsi (repetitive strain injury), to my knowledge will give you no long term effects, it is only a matter of dealing with the pain.if you wanted to carry on doing the things you want to...

Pushing trolleys? Work? I did that for a year at sainsburys, best part time job ever :) (Y) got £5ph to be outside exercising. Dont think that this would cause rsi as it is a more varied movement.

Riding... Only the braking i could think would be a repetitive movement, which wrist is it in? But as your moving your whole arm doing moves i shouldnt think its a problem.

Typing... 99% sure that you have it from that. Do you spend a large amount of time at your computer? Using a keyboard and mouse is very repetitive and if you dont sit with particularly good posture can cause rsi and will be painful to type/write. Try to sit properly, i know its hard! Also have breaks or even do some arm stretches/exercises every now and then.

I mildly started to develop it a while ago, from typing and sitting badly with my keyboard on my lap... I only ever had the pain bad when i tried to play squash... was odd. Ended up joining the gym at the same time and as soon as i started doing upperbody work this pain has gone ever since. Stronger muscles prevent injury so much more than stretching or anything else.

The reason RSI hurts (these are assumptions im making, dont know for fact...)

Is eithter that because of the repetitive movement it will cause that one muscle group to become fatigued causing the pain.

Or more likely i think... this muscle group becomes stronger than its antagonistic pair, this puts strain on the antagonistic pair as there is an imbalance this is why i think going to the gym helped a lot.

When i was younger i used to run cross county for my town and county. Ended up stopping because of a very painful shoulder which was cause by a muscle imbalance, my chest was stronger than my shoulder muscles. I was told to do these shoulder exercises to strengthen the muscles, helped loads!! This pain though was very similar to the rsi pain i had so i think its a muscle imbalance.

Hope that helps a bit and gives you some stuff to try.

**None of this is fact just what i think of it so might be best to consult a doctor before trying stuff :)" **

Take care

Seb :P

Edited by SebJT

Have you just got a standard keyboard? If so, there are little foam pad bits that you can buy that go in front of the keyboard on your table that you can rest your wrist on. There's the same thing for your mouse; a mousemat with a built in cushiony bit at one end that supports your wrist. They're really, really good, and might be a worthwhile investment if you've got RSI.

My mum suffers from RSI because of a weird mouse she used to use at her workplace. If it's suspected RSI, i have to insist that you rest it liberally, otherwise, as my mum has found out, it can cause alot of long-term damage that could further damage your chances at work, or whatever you may need to use your wrist for (Y)"

Seb's explanation sounds pretty informative as well, so it could just be that, so take his advice aswell :)

The reason RSI hurts (these are assumptions im making, dont know for fact...)

Is eithter that because of the repetitive movement it will cause that one muscle group (or tendons/ligaments) to become fatigued causing the pain.

Reason (my guess/opinion) = badly shaped handlebars.

Rsi (repetitive strain injury), to my knowledge will give you no long term effects

No lasting effects? A lecturer at my university has to wear braces on each wrist because he is that bad :( A quick test to see if its developing is to put your arms out straght parrallel to the ground and bend your wrists back so your fingers are pointing the cealing and wiggle your fingers. If you get any kind of funny feeling down the underside of your forearms (i do :S) apparently its the beginning of rsi. But thats probably crap but thats what the heath and safety dude told us :)

dunno if its worth mentioning, but my mum has to type loads, and had something called carpel tunnel (sp?)

if i remember this is the inflamation of the caralidge where your tendons for your fingers run through...or somethig like that.

my mum had a problem getting diagnosed as the doccy said it was rsi...

have a look into it!

No lasting effects?  A lecturer at my university has to wear braces on each wrist because he is that bad :( A quick test to see if its developing is to put your arms out straght parrallel to the ground and bend your wrists back so your fingers are pointing the cealing and wiggle your fingers.  If you get any kind of funny feeling down the underside of your forearms (i do :)) apparently its the beginning of rsi.  But thats probably crap but thats what the heath and safety dude told us :)

haha my knowledge is good then :S"

Your lecturer must have continued to do this repetitive action for a long time then ??

With most things, if it hurts dont do it...

If riding trials doesnt make your wrist hurt dont worry about it. Also try adjusting bars/levers may help too.

Seb

Ha! That's what my doctor told me. It's a complete mong diagnosis. RSI describes the symptoms, not the problem. Within the umbrella of RSI there could actually be a whole host of completely different things wrong from Carpal Tunnel to a slight sprain. It's like a doctor diagnosing you with having a a sore leg or something equally useless.

Basically, that's not a diagnosis, it's just telling you what you already knew was wrong. I pushed my doctor to get me a referral to a physiotherapist when I was "diagnosed" with that, although the useless woman reffered me to an occupational therapist, which wasn't much help really :o/

I rang work up said Im not coming in on Saturday.

He didnt seem to care that I has something wrong with my wrist and I couldnt move it and that the nurse said rest it. I just said, rather rudely, Icant pick anything up, I cant push trolleys what am I going to do at work. They do give a crap these days.

Im actually on my last sick day, im alowed 6 in a year then its loss of job so lets see what happens. They want to get rid of me which I doubt as their short staffed, Ill try my best to link it back to oushing trolleys, then well see whos laughing.

By law, you can sign yourself off work for up to 7 (in a row) days without having to provide a sick note from a doctor. After this, you need to bring a signed sick note from a doctor/nurse. If your company lays you off you could claim unfair dismissal.

Carpel tunnel syndrome is a version of RSI

Carpel tunnel is the wrist basically.

Can be very painful, an if not rested an treated then it can bugger up the rest of your life!

Mostly it is assosiated with typing, but nearly anything repetitve can give you RSI. Say if you lift boxes on to a shelf all day, then that can cause RSI. its a really wierd thing!

Carpel tunnel syndrome is a version of RSI

Carpel tunnel is the wrist basically.

Can be very painful, an if not rested an treated then it can bugger up the rest of your life!

Mostly it is assosiated with typing, but nearly anything repetitve can give you RSI. Say if you lift boxes on to a shelf all day, then that can cause RSI. its a really wierd thing!

Sp pushing trolleys every saturday and other days in the hols for 3 years can be a cause.

If only I could prove it, work would be bowing down to me.

Sorry it's late and I can't be bothered to read all the posts so if I repeat, sorry.

I damaged my wrist a while back (tore the tendon off between the 2 arm bones)

and it toke months to heal, loads of pain but it still worked.

Had lots of physio (sp) and she told me about... Glucosamine sulphate.

It's from shell fish and we need it to maintain joints and cartilage.

As so as I started taking it (1000mg a day) my wrist started to calm down rapidly.

Also to lots of stetches.