Wallrides - Vertical Walls Just From A Bunnyhop?

rich4130

I wanna learn them, I can do them with a pallet against a wall kinda thing, but I was wondering if anybody can get into them and do them well on vertical walls with nothing to help, just bunnyhopping?

I wanna learn, help..

rich.

It is possible, i have friends that can do it no problem. Personally, i find it hard, and sketchy to do. But if you stick with the pallet idea your using, just slowly make it steeper and steeper, until your confident enough to throw yourself at a wall!

Also try various angles towards the walls, if you ride parrallel (sp?) to a wall, obviously you wont stick very well, try riding like 45degrees towards it, if that makes sense.

does that help? there you go anyway....

They are do-able but much easier/more fun with a kicker to vertical wall.

First of all start setting up your pallet wallrides as steep as you can, and practice riding them as if they were a vertical wall, not really riding along them to begin with but more hopping at them and pullnig off, not relying on the grip of your tyres much.

Then build a small kicker (only needs to be a pice of wood and a coupel of bricks) and start applying the same technique to a vertical wall. Set the kicker up at different angles till you feel comfortable with one (I find about 45 is ok for me) then have a few run-ins, and the just go for it (Y) Remembering that you need to carve, lean the bike over and to begin with atleast just hit the wall and pull off.

If there are any slightly off vertical walls around learn on these first, theres a couple at around 80 degrees near me.

Once you are getting these more consistant then try it without the kicker. Its mucher harder to get that inital boost and hight at the wall, but the actual riding is no harder.

Then, to quote Howies, "go get the fun!"

(was gonna put a picuture of a vertical wallride but i havent one handy, heres a cool picture James took on sunday :) Though it does show me leaning bike over so technically its not justy me showing off (Y)" )

gallery_422_553_3653.jpg

Edited by Steve-A

All you've got to do when you move onto vertical walls after practicing on slopes is to be fully committed.

If you ride up to the wall at a shallow angle and not much speed you're obviously not going to be able to grip onto the wall. 45 degrees is a good base to start with and as much speed as you're comfortable with ( bearning in mind it does have to be pretty fast )

just start by hopping straight up the wall as if you're going to ride up it ( because you're hitting the wall at 45 degrees horizontal this means riding up the wall at 45 too )

this wont be a wallride because you'll ride up the wall for half a foot then fall off... do this to get the feel of a vertical wall then try the same thing but lean the bike almost flat if possible and turn your wheel into the wall slightly.... thats how i learnt em

just keep practicing and dont get scared of getting hurt because they do sometimes.

oli

that pictures awesome steve :P" haha

i was going to post "que steve or matt b" here :P haha, listen to steve though he is the street machine and knows what he is talking about, im a bummer (Y) . i REALLY need to learn wall rides, its really bugging me that im scared of them :) . ages ago i just used to go for it and throw myself at walls, stopped doing that so much when i kept taking most of my arm skin off. haha.

so ye you really have to throw yourself at the wall and not be scared, like me :"> . just go for it after getting the feel for it on a slightly slopped wall:)

(Y)

As has already been said its all about the angle and speed you hit the wall at, just experiment with them a bit.

Wallrides are something you have to commit to.

Steve has pretty much explained what its all about.

The more speed you have the better you will stick to [ride] the wall. You also get better ride if you hit the wall pretty much straight on and really flick the front wheel round before it hits the wall.

I also recommend wall riding on brick walls as they are nice and grippy (Y)

I might have to try using kickers into wallrides, I think it could prove to be interesting (Y)

It apparently does'nt work for some people, but I find that trying to table into the wall works.

If you hit the wall at roughly 45 degrees, bit faster than jogging speed etc... (basically what everyone else has been saying...) then turn the bars slightly and tuck the bike under you, then push it into the wall at an angle, when I do it it almost feels like Im pulling a 'mini tabletop' into a wall. Like I say this does'nt seem to work for everyone, but for me it makes it easier to carve and find grip on the wall quicker.

Hope that helps, Tom

just comit really, when you can do them they are pretty simple. learn on a slightly slopped wall first, then just get steeper till you are at the magical vertical wall. commiting is the main thing though. i can get a fair height out of vertical wallrides from bunnyhops, i find goin in at about 60-70 degrees with the wall is best, well i think that is the way going 90 can feel pretty weird. i first learnt on pallets so stack some up and get riding 'em.

i used to find i could wallride a pallet at like 88 degrees but bottled a vertical wall

then i found a small slope to wooden shed (which gave a little) and was able to try that..learning on somethin with a bit of give helped me

but to be honest i believe that if you ride towards a wall at 90 degrees and carve 45 to whichever side and hop..you won't bust yourself at all.

takes a while to get your carve sorted and the back end flicked right up but as people have said..commit like f**k and you'll do it easy peasy.

:) (Y) (Y) :P

You want your front wheel higher than your back wheel and think about the front wheel carving and riding the wall a lot more than the back wheel, the back wheel will only roll on the wall half as much as the front wheel.

Go up to it at about a 40 degree angle, and try to get off before you even hit it, your balence is important as the position of your body, you also need to make sure you tilt your bike while keeping your body in the right position, not table topping, don't try and stay on too long unless your using a ramp, if you are going from the flat ground to a verticle wall, you won't be on for very long, so don't try, just on and off.

Phil.

If you can find a bank to verticle wall, then then are way easier than going stright to vert.

I can't really say much that hasn't been said already. You need to commit to it and gotta get your body into an actually riding along the wall position, rather than just trying to get the wheels on the wall.

and where a long sleeve top...

Mike

EDIT: watch some videos too, I think nbr 12 has a nice wallride in it, all slo-mo (Y)

oh cool pic steve (Y)

Edited by leedstrials

You want your front wheel higher than your back wheel and think about the front wheel carving and riding the wall a lot more than the back wheel, the back wheel will only roll on the wall half as much as the front wheel.

Go up to it at about a 40 degree angle, and try to get off before you even hit it, your balence is important as the position of your body, you also need to make sure you tilt your bike while keeping your body in the right position, not table topping, don't try and stay on too long unless your using a ramp, if you are going from the flat ground to a verticle wall, you won't be on for very long, so don't try, just on and off.

Phil.

Hehe, like I say, it doesn't suit everyone :">

Tom

its simple physics. Like any wallride, if you are leaned over and you are travelling towards the wall with a decent amount of force when you hit it, you WILL stick to it.

imagine the wall is the ground. so you turn your bike and body on its side to be in the same position on the wall as if it was the ground.

in reality you don't need to be leaned that far over, but this part is the key. If you are leaned over you stick, if you aren't, you won't.

And if you hit it like a fag then you will slide off and welly your shoulder. Just be a man and try it properly and you will do it. gettin off is easy. gravity helps there and its in the feel of it so you can't say " pull off like this".

just do a f**k off bunnyhop aiming at the wall, hit it leaned over and see what happens.

john

Swindon rider... AKA - stu is pretty good at wall rides...

if you ever get to speak to him...maybe he cud help with a few pointers... i seen him do sum lush wallrides!

think he laernt ...wall riding fences in his garden or something.. shud imagine they give a lil.. might help..who knows!

Tom :P

find a little bit of ground where you are wanting to take off for the wall ride and focus on it. if you make sure you hit that bit every time then it gives you bags more confidence. its all in your head like - but it works wonders. also, as others have said, go more 'at' the wall instead of along side it. hope this helps.