So, Riding Today And...........

ben_travis

my magura explodes, but lets go back and ill tell you a little story................

yesterday i receive a phone call from another rider (non-forum) saying, aye min me feckin freewheel has broke, so i ask him to come round and i fix it,

while he waits he is riding another guys bike and breaks his magura hosing. f**k, day ruined for him, it didnt touch a thing just decided to pack in and break.

then today another mate is riding along and hops up a kerb, kaboom onto his back on the kerb, day ruined his plastic magura hosing goes as well with no replacement we head home and thats that.

tonight about half an hour ago, i am riding, thinking about snapping the hosing. after doing some decent drop gaps and some big ups, i pick up confidence to go for a front to back on a rail.

now a front to back is the move where you hop into your front wheel then to your back, for an example see a craig lee scott video or a engage vid. and you will see how crazy this looks on a rail.

im trying this move after getting pretty good at it, after a few failures i finally make it, and land nicely, few more fails and another good attempt, then i think hmmm, one more, so i go for it, make it to back wheel and on landing, my brake lever reaches the handlebar and i fall. what the f**k im thinking then i look, my braided hosing has snapped.

now why the f**k does three go in the space of 24 hrs. its crazy.

so to the point

what hosing do you reccomend, i am thinking either back to standard hosing or looking at goodridge or hope. i have tried magura hosing, which is what has just snapped.

whats your thoughts

cheers guys

ben

p.s sorry for babbling

how weird.. (Y) mine went yesterday. Actually it went on friday, replaced it, then it went again yesterday. It has never happened to me before (in 3 years..). Twice in three days?

The my lever broke- done that before though (Y)

Most people just stick with the plastic (that's what i had) and to be honest...it usually lasts.

adam

my friend has had to replace his 6 times in about half a year, yet ive been running maggies for almost a year and a half (and 3 years on my full susser) yet ive never had any problems. maybe its the same as some people find money others dont, some ACS's last for years some last for hours, ...know what i mean (Y)

edit: i just use the standard stuff, but i may upgrade to braided stuff next time i bleed my brake.

Edited by rickycoleman

Mr travis. dont get goodridge hosing, it feel wank unless you use water and there is no point spending £27 on it imo... and yes i have used it.

go back to plain old black stuff (Y) tis the best.

oh ye and:offtopic: , urpedigreechumdog, your avatar looks like fat mike (Y) :D

Edited by trialskid

Could it be cos when everyone bled their brakes the liquid was colder and therefore had a smaller volume (unless your using water) and then the warm weather comes along and the liquid expands and you guys ride more and that make sit pop?

EDIT Spelling (Y)"

Edited by div

hey div...it sounds like a good idea, but surely the pads would just move out a bit  (Y) instead of all this catastrophic failure jizz...

btw...water does contract when cooled  (Y) (above freezing..)

adam

Oh, ok just a not so well thought out theory. Sorry :">

i'm still using the same hose and claipers i bought.......... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm.......... 6 years ago? i've never replaced the hose, hence the rear being a little short on ma koxx. weird, i know some people seem to have stuff break really randomly:S quite scary really. my first hope ratchet ring (XC hub) lasted 20 months before the teeth started breakin off! a friend of mine snapped the ring in under 3!?

ah well. same as, i got brand new ronnie rim, run a nice grind over it, new rimjam pads don't even squeak on it. just make that horrible ffffffffffftttt noise. no bite or hold wotsoever. don't know what the solution is (don't have facilities to do another grind meself)

ah well:S

must be one of them things. for some unfathomable reason, somethings just don't work, or break for no reason!

smithy

i'm still using the same hose and claipers i bought.......... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm.......... 6 years ago?  i've never replaced the hose, hence the rear being a little short on ma koxx.  weird, i know some people seem to have stuff break really randomly:S  quite scary really.  my first hope ratchet ring (XC hub) lasted 20 months before the teeth started breakin off!  a friend of mine snapped the ring in under 3!? 

ah well.  same as, i got brand new ronnie rim, run a nice grind over it, new rimjam pads don't even squeak on it.  just make that horrible ffffffffffftttt  noise.  no bite or hold wotsoever.  don't know what the solution is (don't have facilities to do another grind meself)

ah well:S

must be one of them things.  for some unfathomable reason, somethings just don't work, or break for no reason! 

smithy

that is your problemo mate

steer clear

DAn

Edited by aaron_trials _247

Probably coincidence more than anything; just the fact that it's the first time everyone's ridden properly in a while.

If it was something to do with temperatures, the changes would have to be pretty drastic, whcih they haven't really, no more than about 5-10 degrees. And if it affected this many people in March, I'm sure in previous years, in like July and August, all the people who bled their brakes over the winter would notice?

It's a good theory, but I'm sure if it was a problem, it would have been picked up before now wouldn't it? I mean, Canada have plenty of trials riders, and they have freezing winters and lovely summers :lol:

Scary all the same. I burst a hose for the first time last month, but that was still while it was cold.

ah well.  same as, i got brand new ronnie rim, run a nice grind over it, new rimjam pads don't even squeak on it.  just make that horrible ffffffffffftttt  noise.  no bite or hold wotsoever.  don't know what the solution is (don't have facilities to do another grind meself)

that is your problemo mate

steer clear

Well I have to disagree there... I have the Green pads and they are awesome... lock damn well! (Y) :lol:

Watson

i was using standard magura oil, i know its the best stuff to use if you bleed your brake correctly

Hmm. I wouldn't say that necessarily. The lever feel between a well bled Hs33 with water and another one with oil is pretty starkly different. I was a blood afficianado for ages, but then I tried water and it does feel soooooo much nicer. The lever action is just a lot snappier and more responsive, which royal blood simply can't compete with due to their different viscosities, basically.

on maggie subject my tpa died a horrible death yesterday.

I got a Magura from Nic and changed it straight away 'cos I couldn't be bothered waiting for that to happen to mine...