Pedal Kicking Up Walls

Village Idiot

Hi,

I'm having trouble when trying to pedal kick up a wall (the one where you hop on your back wheel in front of the wall and then lurch forward and up onto the wall). I can only get up walls which are about 1-1.5ft max.

This is what I do:

-get on the back wheel hop a bit to get in position,

-lower the front wheel and lurch up onto the wall.

The thing is that when I lower the front wheel, it hits the top of the wall and I think that's whats stopping me getting up. If I try from further back, I can lower the front without it hitting the wall but can't get the distance to get up.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or should I be trying it from a different angle (i.e. slightly from the side so the wheel doesn't hit the wall) or something?

Cheers

Ian

When i do this i always start sideways, then turn slightly in the air so i land firmly on top. This allows you to lower the front wheel a lot more to get the power without it hitting the wall. So, rather than starting at a right angle to the wall, start more sideways. :blink:

Edited by scunnytrials

hit it on an angle, i can get over 2ft by doing one big hop then lurch on the wall but it is harder doing lots of them i usually just shunt up walls any way. >_<

Yeh, another vote for turn to the side before you go up.

It kinda turns into a sidehop if you get really sideways.

Have a look at some videos, everyone who's semi-decent turns to the side, so take a gander through your vid collection >_<

Hey,

I've took my time (about 3 seconds) to draw a little diagrame of what angle you should be hoping in front of the wall,

From what iv read, you are hopping like the first little drawing in this pic:

wallbackhop0xs.jpg

But what you want to do is hop at the angle of the second little drawing, its mush easier and you dont hit your front wheel.

Cheers >_<

Edited by terror-error

drop your front wheel to the side of the wall... will let you get closer to the wall

Shame on you Austin, giving out such sloppy advice. As a self-proclaimed UCI rider you should have realised that doing it this way may cause your front axle to not pass through the gates, should you turn too much, and would thus be bad practise.

Dan

nice comment, lol. Yea just try and do it like a sidehop but get really far over the rear wheel and turn to land straight in mid air. Thats if you want to go like 6 pallets high though, i need to practice it myself.

Watch some TUNAcliffe videos, and copy away.

Shame on you Austin, giving out such sloppy advice. As a self-proclaimed UCI rider you should have realised that doing it this way may cause your front axle to not pass through the gates, should you turn too much, and would thus be bad practise.

Dan

ok then..go tell danny butler hes doing it wrong... o and not forgetting vincent giaco etc...

i knwo the rules in uci and i know how the section should be ridden thankyou very much.. dont tell me how to ride when i train uci every fricking day

by the way. jut start further back... then your front wheel goes through the gates and your back wheel follows.. come on as a self proclaimed willy i thought you would of known that...

Edited by aust

ok then..go tell danny butler hes doing it wrong... o and not forgetting vincent giaco etc...

i knwo the rules in uci and i know how the section should be ridden thankyou very much.. dont tell me how to ride when i train uci every fricking day

by the way. jut start further back... then your front wheel goes through the gates and your back wheel follows.. come on as a self proclaimed willy i thought you would of known that...

Is there any need to bring up the UCI arguments again, it doesnt matter how you do something, everyone finds their own way to do it.

How come the majority of videos are now "training" or "practise" videos and everyone talks about "practising" or "training" instead of just "riding"? :-\

Anyway, there's some good advice here, in amongst the shit. Just go at a bit of an angle, and really lower the front and shift your arse back so you can spring up properly high (Y)

Just commit (Y)

Mark

Did leaving school aged 15 leave you with the inability to understand simple English and to format basic sentences?

D-L-B was clearly stating that quite often you don't have room to drop your front wheel to one side, and that in a UCI comp (where your axle cannot cross the tape) this could result in a 5. Now, if you train 'UCI' every day (and I thought we all rode for fun) then perhaps you'd realise this.

Nobody said that what you said was wrong - instead it was pointed out that perhaps your suggestion was a short cut. Nobody is telling you how to ride, but perhaps someone should tell you to keep your big mouth shut.

dont tell me how to ride when i train uci every fricking day

not wanting to bring up the past but it made me chuckle. i'm sure in "that thread" a while ago you were telling me i shouldn't ride trials at ALL and should get a bmx because i was giving trials a bad name.

and then went off crying saying you wern't ever going to post again because you wern't allowed your own opinion. but since you're back...danny just had his opinion, and even that was a joke! so stop gettin your clit out

oh the irony :blink:

willy

You just can't help yourself can you? Just the kind of immature humourless response I'd expect from a pan-faced simpleton like yourself. That trap of yours just keeps on flapping. I'm still to come across a single person who's met you that actually likes you.

Here, have some bog roll to wipe your gob, there's shit spraying everywhere.

Dan

and then went off crying saying you wern't ever going to post again because you wern't allowed your own opinion

i remember you saying that too...dont say it if you dont mean it

just like danny crying....'aust' you aint been doing no danny butler gene splicing (sp) have you....i remember him going crying like a big fat girl (no offence to any big fat girls reading) at tech...crying is just too far, especially froma boy riding a bike.

pull your face from out of any top 'uci' riders anal passage and have a laff.

I'm still to come across a single person who's met you that actually likes you

ditto...

surely thats what trials is half about...riding and haing a giggle?

as for kiking up stuff....exagerate body movement. if that makes sence? maybe not...just watch some decent viddies and learn from the gifted :blink:

Just practice your technique, everyone has a different way of boosting themselves higher so just practice one smaller walls to find what you're most comfortable with, then work up.

Are you using the bump technique? Many riders swear by it as the force of your wheels smacking the wall gives you extra lift for the backwheel, almost as though theres a kicker there. I think the main point with the bump is to get your timing spot on and you should just magically land on top. Watch other riders techniques as said and it should become fairly obvious.

If you aren't yet comfortable with the bump just exaggerate your standard technique as much as possible, really throw your bike up underneath you and look where you need to land. There's a limited amount of advice people can actually give as with all trials moves, it just takes practice.

James

i dont wanna be liked by people on the trials forum... to be pretyt honest it didnt sound like a joke to me.. yeah i got a big mouth... and yeah i ride for fun.. but i call it "training" you got a problem with that... do you call world class boxers dickheads because they call it training ???.

o and when im on rides i havent actually been gobby at all.. so please list the ones that dont like me.. if you ever actually met me im not all that bad.. i know wuite a few people that like me thankyou very much... i just dont like been friends with dickheads like yourself :blink:

i dont wanna be liked by people on the trials forum... to be pretyt honest it didnt sound like a joke to me.. yeah i got a big mouth... and yeah i ride for fun.. but i call it "training" you got a problem with that... do you call world class boxers dickheads because they call it training ???.

o and when im on rides i havent actually been gobby at all.. so please list the ones that dont like me.. if you ever actually met me im not all that bad.. i know wuite a few people that like me thankyou very much... i just dont like been friends with dickheads like yourself :)

So you're a "world class" rider now are you? I know you're a short-sighted narcisistic fool but seriously, you'll give me a hernia making me laugh like that! You evidently have no understanding of tongue in cheek humour, maybe since your cheeks are so full of hot gas and your tongue right up the crack of a certain other rider. :blink:"

Yet again, you're obviously having problems with your English, or you could make the text on your screen larger if that's your problem. I didn't say anything about people on Trials-forum liking you. I said people I know who have met you. I know lets go back to school and count who has the most friends, I know that's what you're dying to do, so you can name drop a couple of riders. But if you weren't able to bask in the reflected glory of your 'mates' riding you're pretty much a NOBODY. I think it's safe to assume the majority of your friends you only know through bikes. If you were to remove the bike element from the equation I seriously and sincerely doubt they would genuinely want anything to do with you. I could almost feel sorry for you, little boy, but you are nothing like me.

Dan