Azonic Double Wall's

TheMunn

Just thought I would see how many of you lot have had azonic doublewall bar's, mine have just cracked half way round, I know a few other's have gone but just to see, you could reply. What would you reccomend for new one's, standard clamp size, personally i'm thinking of getting some easton ea70's. What do you think ?

Thanks.

Yup..do it (Y) I used to swear by double walls until i realised i broke them too quick

Got Eastons (even so i thought i wouldn't get on with them after being in love with the shape of double walls) but never looked back.

Strong as hell too!

I think it's the same with any component - there's always people that love them and always people that don't. Probably why we're not all riding the same bikes with the same components.

I used single walls for 6 months, and I've recently bought some double walls from CRC for £35, which seemed perfectly reasonable to me. They're the 2.5in ones with the nice upsweep, and they suit me just fine.

Not sure about durability, as I've only had them a few weeks, but the aforementioned single walls are still in perfect condition.

I had some singlewalls for a few weeks, before moving back to flat bars. I bought them for £20 from the bike show in 2004, they had a nice shape to them, but i prefer doublewalls if any. My friend seems to swear by them, the shape of the high rise doublewalls is very nice, its a shame that the strength lets them down.

Yup..do it (Y) I used to swear by double walls until i realised i broke them too quick

Got Eastons (even so i thought i wouldn't get on with them after being in love with the shape of double walls) but never looked back.

Strong as hell too!

i agree with boon, my first set lasted 2.5 years or something and this set is going strong, although they are creaking a bit hahaha trying the atomlab G.I race out for a laff soon!

but eastons are sweet

mike

I loved my doublewalls, the feel of them was so nice, despite the reasonably hefty weight, and restriction in width compared to some other bars. The Eastons are lighter and stronger, and I thought I would really like the ones I tried, however I for some reason hate the feel of them, and think they feel kinda plasticy. I hate the long reach easton stem even more.

I think if you are changing bars, you should consider making the move to oversized 31.8mm bars. They are stiffer and stronger through structure, so can also be built thinner, so they become lighter for equal strength than regular bar clamp bars. Its the way forward, and very suited to trials!

snapped 2 sets of DWs. love the shape, but both sets have snapped pulling up on the bars, last time resulting in a dislocated thumb. so, hotlines recommended trying the SWs, as they have far fewer returned for warranty replacement (which they have done both times) than DWs

the theory is, the doublewall construction is good for dissipating trail vibrations (as in downhill and freeride) as the loads are shared between the two walls as and when required. can't really see the benefits over singlewalls, but hey (Y)"

as a young nipper, i always thought the doublewalls meant doule strength. but NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

infact, (apparently) under large (trials) loading and bending, the walls touch at the point of maximum bending, stopping the materials from flexing anymore, and causing a stress point. it effectively forms a solid point at which the material 'pivots' about, instead of being allowed to flex

sorry if that made no sense. correct me if i'm wrong (if u understood it). basically, if u like the feel of ur DWs, i'd recommend SWs. i personally hated the feel of eastons, so stayed with Azonic all the way! plus, hotlines warranty service is equal to that of hope. snap ur bars, ring em and tell em u broke em, send em back, await replacement set (usually very soon)

smithy

Id agree with the above post (Y)

Azonic singlewalls are stronger, and more suited to trials. They are a little less flexy (which is one thing I thought felt strangely nice in the DWs), but that only allows you to transfer your weight around more efficiently if anything. They can also be bought in 28" wide

oh yeah, this years SWs and DWs are exactly the same shape and width

my new singlewalls have WF (World Force) logo on for some reason. random

and before some smart arse says 'its because they're world force bars' even hotlines assured me they were new style SWs. anyone shed any further light on the current situation?

smithy

hmmm. i agree about the warranty. i used to send mine back to CRC and i did that so much jonny used to basically send out the bars before i'd even sent them back after a while lol. but that was half the problem...

i'd put money on me being about the harshest on bars around this forum. god knows how many double walls i went through and i snapped a pair single walls of before i even had a trials bike / any skills at all so i never got them (though smithy is right they are strangely supposed to be stronger than double walls)

the double walls (and i'd put money on the singlewalls not being ALL that much better) just dont last under hard riding. eastons do...fact

the fact they give u a warranty isnt really of use (though i was lucky) because they don't warranty for new teeth. so i'd get th easton's - that's coming from a thrasher point of view!

(Y)

oh yeh...if you got your bars from CRC or u wanna try and blag it without a recipt (i never sent mine) then they might replace your azonics for eastons.

that's what i did (before i got sponsored by easton) they said as i was a "well known customer" they'd swap them for eastons after i'd explained i wanted something that would last me, and they even refunded me the extra £5 price difference. deal

Edited by the boon

Ive had double walls in the past and found them too wide. Nice shape though. Ive run Easton Monkey lites (carbon risers) for about 3 years, and they are so much stiffer and lighter. They havent broken either. They have a lifetime warranty. Amazing bars I think. Put some metal bar plugs in them and they are fine.

i have had quite a few azonic bars... dont get the pyrimids, they look nice but they snap at the grip in no time! the DW's are good and yes i did sware by them , till i also noticed i am going through them quick! they all usually snap at the handlebar stem, altho i had one pair that went weird, and kept bending, and i kept bending it back! there 2 years old now and STILL intact, just a bit flexy!! lol

I now use Onza carbon bars, as all me m8s demanded that i get some 'Proper' Trials bars. i couldnt look back now, there much stiffer, half the weight, wider and loads better for bike control.

Get some Onza Carbon bars.... Or Zoo bars!

Ry

;)