Decent Chainstay Protector:

aaroncosbey

Hi guys, im lookin a few opinions on chainstay protectors, more or less whats hot and whats not.

Got me a new pitbull and need to protect that pretty frame from chain slap!!!

does anyone use carbon looking strips???

4759.jpg

EDIT: whoops, thought you said for sidehopping or something. :"> Think I need to put the specs back on.

I use a lizard skin I got free in MBuk about 2 years ago

Edited by merlin_rider

I'm using a DMR one at the moment. They're tougher than the standard neoprene sorta guards (like the Lizardskins ones/free MBUK one) - it's taken it's hits. The only time it let the frame take a knock was sidehopping to a sloped, pointy-topped wall and I landed on the stay on the point.

Which was fair enough, really. The wall earnt it's chance to hurt my bike :P

Anyway, it'll definitely do for stopping chain slap :-

Mark

I use bare metal stays. The best way to get rid of chainslap noise is using a walkman/ headphone combination. Gets rids of reaky cranks, squeaky brakes, chavs in cars shouting abuse, pinch flat noises and all sorts.

.....and cars comming really fast at you, old people shouting at you trying to get you off their property :P . I'm going to try that hose pipe thing when mine finaly gives up the ghost.

Edited by Impacted.

get a car seat belt,,, fold it over, sew it so its same length but half as wide and twice a thick..

( u will need to put your foot to the floor with a standard sewing machine )

then double sided tape this to your stay and then kinda sew it up with wire on the back side (alot easyier if you wheel is out to get it good. this will stop dent wacks chain slap...

damm good,, will last AGES! as well

If you are looking for an actual bike chainstay protector I would advise you not to get a neoprene one because quite frankly they are shit and brake apart in like 2 monutes. So if you are ooking for a proper bike one then i reccomend the koxx one even though to tell the truth it is a bit of a rip-off. But then again it is not made out of neoprene and is made of good quality resistant materials so it is probably worth the money. I think you can pick one up at cleanbikes :( :)

I used to use this really gay pokeadot red and white padding stuff with loads of black electricians tape...but it got ripped to shreads evertime i landed on it. Tried to fix it several times but i really shouldnt of bothered.

Now i tightly wrapped an split inner tube around it with 1 cable tie and more black tape. Its so much better that i feel like a complete dick for not doing it sonner.

Although be careful it doesnt become too fat and rub on your tyre.

(Y)

I have one of those carbon chainstay protectors with a red lizard chainstay protector over it. It protects the frame although the lizard skin gets covered in grease and needs to be cleaned.

I think a good idea is the tyre cut down to go on the chainstay but my tyres to close so it won't work for me.

Smithy

In my opinion lizard skins know how to rob people of their money. Whats the point in spending £8 on a bit of material? Nothing wrong with the mbuk freebie if you ask me :) There are cheaper solutions such as electrical tape or an innertube which work very well and are free (Y)