Cassettes

luke_jay

Any cassette is good for trials. I bought a Shimano 105 9spd and took off 3 cogs, added a few sapcers and made a 6 speed cassette. Lookgs good and works fine. Just buy what you can afford anything will work fine. Im running 17-16-15-14-13-12 if your interested.

I do have a cassette but i have mixed mine up so it may aswell be a single speed but the reason i have done that is so it will not dig into my chris king rachette, I also run a 22 tooth on the front and a 19 tooth on the rear ( nice and light ).

Gaz :-

Any close ratio cassette (being refered to as a road cassette, but at the end of the day they're a cassette) are good. Alot of riders use 8speed over 9speed as the cassettes and chains on 8speed are stronger, and as you really dont want snappage on your drivechain, sacrifice a little weight there.

Gear ratio is your choice unfortunantly. And when you find a gear your happy with you'll probably not use any other. For example I use 20/17. But that might not be right for you.

Many monty team bikes have fitted 6cogs (have to for comps) in a row of 15t 17t 15t 17t 15t 17t. however unless you've got alot of old blocks or spare cash lying around this is quite expensive to achieve

Lastly. my opinion is Scram over Shitmano (whoops) I meant shimano. As they are stronger and more durable. (and cheaper!)

As people have said, any close ratio cassette is suited to trials. There is no point spending loads, as they dont last that long anyway (if you use gears, then after a while they skip due to tooth wear). I used a shimano sora one worth about £10 and had it no problems for two years, now im running singlespeed :-