Hadley Trials Hub, 108ep, Sounds Good

Davetrials

i heard that they have only one "nail" that locks in to the freehub. i wouldn't trust them for shit.

If by "nail" you mean "pawl" then it would seem you are correct... 3 off set pawls... may not be uber strong, but who knows?!

Personally if anybody is wanting a new hub i would say get a hope bulb or wait for the hope trials hub. I run a CK classic, and i find very little difference between this and my mates bulb, and with a hope, if it breaks you can get spares nice and cheap :S

yeah imagine how come hope rachets fail with 3 pawls engaging at the same time!

now think they have the power distibuted over the 3 pawls! now if you have one pawl engage at a time this means all the force is taken one that one tiny pawl.....

they would be good if they were £15 then you could replace it all but every week for the smoothest riders! :S

Rich

scotty

basically i see it as, hopes run 3 pawls engaging at the same time and i never have trusted them, they slip and stress alot, so imagine this with just one pawl holding you up at anyone time, if you have ever taken a hope apart you will see just how small this equipment is. v.small.

so 1 of these pawls cannot be strong enough for the stresses trials puts upon a hub. now i dont know the exact details however kings dont rely on pawls, there are 72 points engaging at anyone time so this is why they almost never skip if bedded in correctly.

i think that is right

i wouldnt trust it not one pawl, for d/h they are the mutts nutts but not for trials. stay well away

EDIT : GODDAM GUYS SLOW THE REPLIES DOWN

Edited by travistrials

To be onset the maximum amount of engagment you could get out of a rachet hub is around 36 (hope bulb) without off setting the pawls, and even that is pushing it! a well designed rachet hub... say profile could get 48 by off setting the pawls and like the new hope trial? i think...... but things always do inprove.....

i think with this hub they are deffinatly pushing the limits of a rachet hub! i don't know a lot about chris king hubs, but i know they have a special and simple feature which works really well.

i really think clutch type hubs could be progressed futher... they have a good principle which i recorn could be "the way forward!"

Rich

oh yeah this is directed towards trials! ovioulsy this hub could be used for other disoplins of biking like downhill or xc maybe....

Edited by HarshRider

Does anyone do a White Industries Eno Trials freewheel style hub? 'cos that's got 72 engagements with a ratchet 'n' pawls style system, and they seem pretty reliable, really*? Seeing as that's all that click in a tiny space, they could surely make a hub like that? Would mean there was more room to maneuvre inside, so you'd be able to have bigger, stronger, burlier parts?

*Touch wood, anyway :P They go a bit funny at first, but once the initial grease oozes out of the bearings onto the pawls you can clean that off and they work fine :S

36 teeth in the ratchet.

3 pawls.

108 engagements.

= only one pawl at a time.

This doesnt mean it's weak or going to slip, the hubs only as strong as the pawls and ratchet, and I think if the ratchet is good enough and the pawls are well made and out of a good material, you will never have a problem.

phil.

Yes, but Chris Kings are pretty damn well made, and they still skip occasionally? Hope hubs are really good quality and they still skip? I'm not saying that a super well made hub wouldn't skip, but a general hub made in Taiwan probably isn't going to be "super well made", so I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't skip at least once, which would be enough with just one pawl...

Yes, but Chris Kings are pretty damn well made, and they still skip occasionally?  Hope hubs are really good quality and they still skip?  I'm not saying that a super well made hub wouldn't skip, but a general hub made in Taiwan probably isn't going to be "super well made", so I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't skip at least once, which would be enough with just one pawl...

I don't think hope hubs are made from a very good material, chris kings are totaly different, and they don't slip if you look after them properly.

But if this hub slips say once a week, does this make it a bad hub?

It also seems to be strong enough to resist twisting, especially as it's just a downhill hub really, it's quite beefy.

phil.

the hubs only as strong as the pawls and ratchet, and I think if the ratchet is good enough and the pawls are well made and out of a good material, you will never have a problem.

Thats sort of true... we both know that the main issue with Hope hubs is the axle flexing though. Hopes are also made of decent materials, and still have problems with the materials failing.

Its not really feasible to compare it to a King, the King has a far superior design, and still works perfectly, even when all the drive parts are made of aluminium (thats how they used to be made).

I wouldn't trust a hub working with only one pawl, however well made it was. Thats my take on it anyway.

Thats sort of true... we both know that the main issue with Hope hubs is the axle flexing though. Hopes are also made of decent materials, and still have problems with the materials failing.

Its not really feasible to compare it to a King, the King has a far superior design, and still works perfectly, even when all the drive parts are made of aluminium (thats how they used to be made).

I wouldn't trust a hub working with only one pawl, however well made it was. Thats my take on it anyway.

agreed, mainly beacuse having three points engaged at one time is better than just the one. i prefer reliability of engagement rather than the number of engagements. my king is always there when i need it. whereas a hope wasnt, it was easier for it to slip.

number of engagements is just about the ease of finding an engagement when it is nessacary, such as being leant far back after a touch hop a king is easier to be in the correct engagement point where as a hope has less chance of being in the right position. :S kind of, i think.....

but again thats my take