Trials Injuries

guineasmithpig

whilst recovering from ma knackered ankle, i'm wondering whether it is a common injury amongst trials riders? because apart from a few bumps and bruises, i've never been too bad for major injuries. broke a couple o toes from clippin em on walls doin touch hops, but apart from that, its just been my ankle

the ankle in question is my right, and as i'm left footed, its the foot i always step off with first. so, on a couple of awkward bails, i've had to step off the bike while still falling. the first time i had a real bad sprain, i landed on my toes and rolled my foot over (known as an inversion sprain) and the bike and myself collapsed onto the same leg, causin massive ligament rupture! also done the same falling over a bench, and getting my toes stuck in the slats. having such an unstable ankle has caused many problems since then. i can see how easily this can occur in trials, tryin to get off the bike in many awkward positions and situations, and wouldn't be suprised if it was very common. and the way the NHS has treated me for these injuries (that being incorrectly), compared to how a proper sports physio has been doing at the moment, has lead me to the state i'm in now!

anyways, basically, i wanna know how common a problem this is, and try to figure out if it would be worth the industry providing a solution to this. i know we all need fluidity of movement, but i have a couple of ideas myself on ankle support that wud simply stop the ankle rolling once it got to a certain point. fully supported joints are no good as ur body isn't exercising them in the right situations. protection from extreme movement is what i'm talking about. so please enlighten me, as i think its somthing that would need dealing with if it is a big problem. we're all fairly young, and enjoying ourselves now should not mean we have to pay for it later.

smithy

ps, if anyone in the northamptonshire area or surrounding counties is worried about any problems, my friendly physio, simon lord, is very happy for u to get in touch. he doesn't charge for his services, and dealing with him has lead me to be disgusted with, and lose all faith in the NHS and their methods for such injuries. i'd like to thank simon for everythin he's done, and would recommend u people at least speak to him about any problems u have. pm me for details (Y)

gallery_50_200_8772.jpg

I have found these work very well at stopping your ankle from rolling over, they have very good support but still leave plenty of fredom to do trials.

I cant say I have ever really hurt my ankles riding, I am suffering from traumatic arthritis in both my thumbs though, which is very painful. I used have have a very sore shoulder, but thats sorted its self out now.

I've f**ked my ankle over before. Probably the same as you.

Once it broke a meta tarsal in my ankle, and the other time it was just a really heavy sprain, still on crutches though.

the first one was gapping over some stairs, didn't make it, jumped back and landed on the steps awkwardly and it went over. Snap. - That hurt! :deej:

Then the second time I was running down the steps to platform 11 in Leeds train station, with my bike on it's back wheel infront of me, and jumped down 3 steps at once 'cos we were going to miss the train. Went over on it then really hard. Had to get an ambulance 'cos the train dude said it wa broke :deej: But It wasn't. Still had to have crutches though :D - I've still got them actually!! :P

I hit my knees a bit. but they're the only 'regular' injury. I've got 661 Shin-Pads so they're ok. and now i've got ribo's which support my ankle quite a bit (Y)

My ankle's still really weak but for rugby I've got a support and biking I've got my Ribo's.

Hope you get better soon. Nick :D

Currently i have bruised my lower back really badly, after two falls! Some times I get golfballed sized lumps on myself, if I slam hard, but not eveytime. No idea why, been told to go to a doctor by friends.

I have rolled my ankles a couple of times, never broken them or owt. My wrist occasinally hurt a little and so do my fingers.

Knees are shot too, after long ride the next day they will hurt when going up stairs .

Mike

Edit: oh yeah forgot about my heel too. If I land on that a bit wrong its very painful ever since I cockup a 360 outta a flatbank a couple of months ago.

Edited by leedstrials

i did my ancle in recently after doing a drop and the crank snapping, went to the hospital but they hardly examined it and sent me home with a tubigrip (Y)

i have been speaking with simon lord aswell and he is a really sound guy, he has given me loads of advice etc... :P

and he did that in his own time....for free....what a guy :D

the only other injury i have had was when i fell onto my back about a year or more ago...that fooked me back up for ages :D

also, i fractured two ribs by pushing by bike outta the door :deej:

oh yeah, also broke a finger :deej:

ta

Will

Edited by WILL ARNOLD

btw, simon lord, my physio, ahs said if anyone wants a chat about repetitive injuries, or any that are buggin u, u can have his addy:

slord@hotmail.com

i promise u its worth it. i put up with a weak ankle for ages, and i've ended up with a double fracture, and double ligament rupture, with multiple ligament trauma, just from snapping a bb axle! thats how unstable my ankle was! didn't even twist my ankle or collapse or anythin!

smithy

I had problems with the mussels in my back when i started.

but they are fine now thankfully.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

holy shiz its a killer.

I usually slice my finger on levers and the good old pedal to the shin.

But thats about the extent of my trials injuries.

I had a rather bad knee to stem bolts...

playing around with hops in the park play area (bored) and slipped the pedal and smacked my knee on the stem bolts.

got a cut and a lump now.

^_^ clever ol' me

now, i know everyone gets knocks and bruises n stuff. sort o more interested in more repetitive injuries. things that cause u problems in the future. like ligament trauma, and which areas it occurs. thought ankles might be pretty common with jumpin off and bailing all the time.

but keep em comin!! and feel free to contact simon ^_^

I get trapped nerves in my shoulders and necks alot. It really hurts and i struggle to turn my head. Its from when i tense up when i land because i dont think ill make it or if im really trying to get up something i haven't got up before or is higher than i think i can do.

It usually stops me for a week or so, but last time i couldn't sit up properly on my own for 2days!! ^_^

ive had a bad ankle for about a month and a half now basically bent my ankle towards my shin ( dunno if it would be called hyper flexion, i know you can hyper extend not sure about flexion though ^_^ ) now i have to ride with mental amounts of tubigrip so my ankle doesnt nob up when im riding but if i fall on it awkwardly itll still sprain straight away, then ill have to sit down for 5 minutes then its good to go :P

Yeah, my ankles are fooked. I sprained both of them really badly about 3 years ago now. One on my bike (right ankle) where I was trying G-Turns and fooked up. That really hurt. And then another time was much worse when I was playing basketball, I did my left ankle. For the last 3 years, my ankles have been really weak and I would go over on them all the time, often really painfully. But now it's got to the point where my ankle just completely gives way if I'm going to roll it over. Not sure if it's just really weak now, or if this is something I've learnt to do to protect my ankle, but it's quite handy. No more painful ankles, I just fall on the floor really easily ^_^

Sprained my ankles 13 times in total now, 8 to my left and 5 on my right. Last was worst:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1092..._1092955989.jpg

Thats the first time i got out of bed with it to take a pic.. so thats about .. hmm 8 days after i did it. Oh and the cut (hole looking thing) we suspect that came from it rolling so flat it got cut on the ground, even though it was an actual hole.. like punctured through.

Cause: gap over stairs, 4ft down on to ankle. Confined to my bed for over a week, didnt sleep for first 2 days due to pain.

Current state 8 months later: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1116...0_335_14126.jpg

They roll whenever they want to. First did it when i was 12 jumped down a flight of steps. From then on its been hell and cant turn them in circles they are just too stiff. One of the worst pains you will feel.

Edited by Spacemunkee

Sprained my ankles 13 times in total now, 8 to my left and 5 on my right. Last was worst:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1092..._1092955989.jpg

Thats the first time i got out of bed with it to take a pic.. so thats about .. hmm 8 days after i did it.

gap over stairs, 4ft down on to ankle. Confined to my bed for over a week, didnt sleep for first 2 days due to pain.

They roll whenever they want to. First did it when i was 12 jumped down a flight of steps. From then on its been hell and cant turn them in circles they are just too stiff. One of the worst pains you will feel.

i hope you have a physio!!!? ^_^

unlucky man, sounds like a real pain, i have fallen once on mine and that gave a fair bit of pain for the first week or so :P

Will

I wrecked my wrists the first day i got my t-pro after having a base ta20 and was off riding for 4 months because the doctor said they would never be the same again then i went to a chiropractor and he fixed them in 3 weeks :P

On friday i did a 10 foot drop almost to flat and hurt my wrist again but it soon was fine so i did it again and just landed a bit sideways but when i got home my neck was aching so bad. It only just stopped today :-

But thats ok cos my wheel was ruined so its at airevally at the mo, looking forward to getting back on the bike at the weekend :P *crosses fingers*

p.s. don't try 10 foot drops when your wheels already wobbly and the roof of what your dropping off it bouncy and ripply on top :D" dumbass ^_^

i hope you have a physio!!!? ^_^

unlucky man, sounds like a real pain, i have fallen once on mine and that gave a fair bit of pain for the first week or so :P

Will

no physio.. although i have been told this is whats wrong with it:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1116...10_335_6179.jpg

thats what normal ankles are like (without skin and muscles and tissue and blood just incase someone is worried...)

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1116...10_335_5023.jpg

And this is what ive been told is wrong with mine, the ligament tore then healed in the wrong place, meaning theres a lot more area un supported just asking to be rolled. Only way to fix it is to do a controlled sprain and re align it ( to be fair id rather leave it as it is till the day comes it f**ks then ill get them to re align it.. im not going to induce the pain of a controlled sprain.. f**k that)

Oh and talking of big drops and pain... 6ft balls to stem anyone? oh yes it has been done by me. My ridings calmed down a lot more though since coming to uni i dont try things i know are out of my limits.

Edited by Spacemunkee

I have hit my face on a rock which was not good at all ^_^ hurt allot. I think the most common injuries from trials riders would have most defiantly be the ankle not to me but I no a few people that have had problems with there ankle. Thinking about it maybe the back aswell I have hurt mine a few times falling off but what do we exspect look at what we do :P .

Gaz :P

i get a bit of a pain in my arse...lol well its just above my arse cheek like in my back.

my shoulder crunches a bit and my knees are fekered ^_^

ahh well ill give up trials when i cant do it anymore