Weighing Your Bike

wayneone

get bathroom scales.

stand on it, look at weight, note weight. pick up bike stand on scales holding bike, note wight, get calulator and work out hwo much yoru biek weighs.

my brisa was 26Lbs.

bathroom scales

weigh youself then pick bike up weigh u and bike then subtract your weight from it

eg you weigh 60 kilos then pick up bike and its altogether 85 kilos, 85 - 60 = 25 therefore the bike weighs 25 kilos

Fantastic thank you. >_<

8.5Kg is 18.75 pound.

Weighed with actual digital weighing scales for weight big objects... like a newton metre.... not like your crappy bathroom stand on ones......

It isnt actually hard to get 18.75 pound out of a bike!

My bike is light as fooook!

EDIT: oooops, just weighed again, its now reading at 10.00KG :) :)

22 pounds.

I think i weighed it wrong first time round :)

Edited by terror-error

But if you have a brain and you hold it between two fingers so the downtube is vertical you would know it isn't adding or taking any weight.

Mr Monkey,

If you take some time to think about the physics involved then maybe you would understand how daft your statement really is.

The only way that you could get an accurate measurement in the manner you suggest is if you manage to balance the bike perfectly vertically and let go of it completely and for the bike to remain in that perfect state of balance for long enough to get a stable and accurate measurement of the bikes weight. If you are in any way holding on to the bike to balance it on the scales, and you are not yourself standing on the measuring device, then you are affecting the accuracy of the reading.

If you want a reasonably accurate measurement, you could make up some structure to support the bike on the scales, maybe just a cardboard box would do to weigh a mod bike, which could balance on its sump guard... weigh the bike on the support, then weigh the support on its own... do the maths and you have a figure. This method would be a bit more reliable than standing on the scales holding the bike as any movement at all whilst on the scales can affect results.

MSM

we used to have some scales at work with a hook that went round the bike stand and a hook that you could hook your front wheel on, that was until someone broke them . . . . anyway my bike weighed about 23 - 23.5 pounds but its got even lighter stuff on now so probably neerer the 23 pound mark, not bad for a long stock bike

Mr Monkey,

If you take some time to think about the physics involved then maybe you would understand how daft your statement really is.

The only way that you could get an accurate measurement in the manner you suggest is if you manage to balance the bike perfectly vertically and let go of it completely and for the bike to remain in that perfect state of balance for long enough to get a stable and accurate measurement of the bikes weight.  If you are in any way holding on to the bike to balance it on the scales, and you are not yourself standing on the measuring device, then you are affecting the accuracy of the reading.

If you want a reasonably accurate measurement, you could make up some structure to support the bike on the scales, maybe just a cardboard box would do to weigh a mod bike, which could balance on its sump guard... weigh the bike on the support, then weigh the support on its own... do the maths and you have a figure.  This method would be a bit more reliable than standing on the scales holding the bike as any movement at all whilst on the scales can affect results.

MSM

The f**k kind of measurement do you want? I think being a pound or two out isn't anything to shit your pants about. And if you can't hold a bike's downtube vertically you must have some mental problems.

If you put a tube that's say an inch bigger in diameter than another tube and weight it holding it vertically by having the tube around it I bet the weight wouldn't be much different to it's actual weight.

1. A bag of apples in one hand, you bike in the other

2. Add bags of apple to the formentioned first hand until balances.

3. Count apples. Your bike weighs x apples.

Seriously though, I thought there was an online calculator for this sort of thing?

The f**k kind of measurement do you want? I think being a pound or two out isn't anything to shit your pants about. And if you can't hold a bike's downtube vertically you must have some mental problems.

If you put a tube that's say an inch bigger in diameter than another tube and weight it holding it vertically by having the tube around it I bet the weight wouldn't be much different to it's actual weight.

It's just a personal thing, I guess. Maybe I should blame this on an engineering background, but I would want to keep the range of error I introduced to a minimum, which would definitely be less than the 15-20% range that you would apparently be happy with. Each to his own. :)

As to your second paragraph, if I understand what you are trying to say, then again, this sleeved support arrangement would introduce an error to the measurement unless there was no contact between the inner and outer tubes, in which case you are back to the perfectly balanced item on the scales situation. :P

sfboy,

LOL :) Out of interest, how ripe do the apples have to be when weighing a mod bike on a tuesday afternoon if it's raining? :)

get bathroom scales.

stand on it, look at weight, note weight. pick up bike stand on scales holding bike, note wight, get calulator and work out hwo much yoru biek weighs.

my brisa was 26Lbs.

Why don't you try this:

1. Weigh youself

2. Hold you bike and stand on the scales

3. From a simple bit of maths ie: part 2 - part 3 = weight of your bike.

Clever non?

:) :P"