New Pc...shall I Or Shall I Not......

Nick Dale

Ok so i'm thinking of getting a new pc the picture shows the spec of the pc i could be getting......it's custom built pc i will be getting a x-blade case also (link to x-blade case)

EDIT: Sorted :P pc6wp.th.jpg

So all in all is the pc spec worth the price?

(sorry for being lazy with typing have a broken wrist :( )

Edited by Nick Dale

If you want to make decent use out of it for a games PC, get a better graphics card. Something like a 6600GT or 6800. You could get a slightly slower processor to make up for it if you're bothered about money.

Apart from that it looks pretty sweet, but see what other people have to say before you take the plunge :(

If you want to make decent use out of it for a games PC, get a better graphics card.  Something like a 6600GT or 6800.  You could get a slightly slower processor to make up for it if you're bothered about money.

Apart from that it looks pretty sweet, but see what other people have to say before you take the plunge :(

Yeah my friend has 2x 6600gt cards in sli and its bit of a beast really i been trying to spec out a decent pc but i don't really want to spend over £750......and i need everything except mouse and keybord.....

I would go for a cheaper CPU then, you can get a 6600GT for only about £40 more and it would easily make your computer twice as fast for games.

I just noticed you've gone for s754 stuff, I would probably go with 939 stuff as it's much more upgradeable and slightly faster. I would say it would be worth getting a slower cpu in 939, then you're set for the future.

EDIT: And I would probably ditch that fan controller...

Sounds alright yeah apart from the graphics at least try go for a 9800pro,

Also i recommend This Monitor my mate bought one along with the 9800 and the graphics are amazing.

Also to be fair a 120gb hd is a bit unneedy lol, go for somthing like 80gb to cut the price a little, just go through it and see if you can cut a lil price on items sometimes makes a big difrence.

Edited by Richie

That spec seems pretty sweet. Is that DVDRW dual layer? It should look at good as it is. I would recommend getting another Hard drive - use one as storage and one as installation directory, or run a RAID setup - supposed to be good but I don't know alot about it.

I dunno much about the 9600xt but I too have a 9800 pro and it runs everything at top res, sweet, no complaints and can be overclocked. Is that motherboad PCI express? in which case get the X800.

Ok so me and my mate been looking at stuff all day now lol and we have found some decent stuff,

this is spec that is up now...

amd 64bit 3500+ (newcastle core) 2.2ghz processor

nVidia GeForce 6 6600GT GPU

Crucial 1GB kit (512MBx2) DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 64Meg x 64

LG L1715S 17" TFT 16ms 450:1 (1280x1024) "Non-Glare" Monitor

Western Digital Caviar SE 120Gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache EIDE Hard Drive - OEM

Lg 16x52 IDE DVD-rom Black Drive - OEM

Philips Internal 16X DF/DL DVD ReWriter Black OEM

Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System

120mm Led Fan Tri Colour x2

Ebuyer Extra Value UltraCool II- Fan Controller / PC Temp Display in Black

That's a different spec not alot different but some modifications but we have just made another one up..... print screen as wrist is hurting and don't want to type now lol

weeeeeee3ke.th.jpg

At the moment i'm going for the 2nd one in this post but what are your opinion's......

Nick.

yup, much better

i got 2 6600 graphic cards, but really pointless lol. as graphics in games not gd enuf for them to be effective yet.

and for the guy who only half filled 60gb i v impressed

i got 8gigs of trials/bmx vids lol

wont even mention music

Edited by i_rule_the_world

on the graphics front, i would go for a 6800LE or plain 6800 as they can be unlocked to much more powerful cards very easily and overclocked to performance levels any 6600GT can only dream of. I have a leadtek 6800LE which i have managed to unlock the remaining 8 pixel pipelines and one of the vertex shaders and overclocked to just under 6800 GT speeds. You should be able to pick one up for about the same price as a 6600GT too.

as for not using socket 754, there are two ways to look at this.

1) socket 754 has a longer life than socket 939 according to the AMD roadmap for the future, where socket 939 is phased out in the next year in favour of a new socket type, whereas socket 754 is set to continue for the forseeable future.

2) the performance benefits from a socket 939 system are significant and you want the fastest possible for the money. Socket 939 uses dual channel RAM massively increasing the RAM bandwidth and hense performance, the newest cored processors (Venice and San Diego cores) have a supirior archetecture to those found on socket 754 CPUs.

In my opinion it would be better to get a socket 939 system as you would be able to get one of the immensly overclockable venice cored processors and a good motherboard within your budget. You have the choice of what graphics card interface you want to use then, either the older and on the way out AGP, or the newer and higher end PCI-Express. This decision will make a difference as to which motherboard you will need. If you go the AGP route then you should be looking for an NVidia nForce 3 chipset based motherboard. If you go down the PCI-E route then you want an nForce 4 based motherboard.

With that all said, my advice on graphics cards now needs updating as 6800 cards can only be unlocked on the AGP interface, leaving the choice of either a dyeing interface but with better current performance, or the newer and upgradable interface but sacraficing current performance. There is however the scope that if you buy an SLI enabled socket 939 motherboard then you can buy a second (must be identicle) graphics card (most likely a 6600GT) in a few months when/if you want to get more grphics performance from your system.

As for the other componants you have specced, it may be worth going for a sata hard drive to keep the data flowing more freely although these can be a bit of a pain to install windows on due to the need to add a driver before the installation of windows proper. if you go down this route you will need to borrow a floppy drive to install the sata drivers.

Also, you would be better off going for a single dual layer DVD writer rather than a pair of drives which doesnt include a dual layer burner.

Finally, be a bit careful with the power supplies included within cases as they are often generic cheap units that cant handle anything near the wattage they claim for a sustained period.

1) socket 754 has a longer life than socket 939 according to the AMD roadmap for the future, where socket 939 is phased out in the next year in favour of a new socket type, whereas socket 754 is set to continue for the forseeable future.

That's the wrong way around...

(As I'm sure you know really :ermm: )

That's the wrong way around...

(As I'm sure you know really :) )

fraid not, its actually the right way around, the sempron range of budget CPU's is set to continue using socket 754 well beyond the introduction of socket M2 for high end AMD's and the phasing out of socket 939. Saying that, socket A was meant to have been killed by now, but its still up there and fighting.

fraid not, its actually the right way around, the sempron range of budget CPU's is set to continue using socket 754 well beyond the introduction of socket M2 for high end AMD's and the phasing out of socket 939. Saying that, socket A was meant to have been killed by now, but its still up there and fighting.

Hmmm, that's good. For someone with a s754 system, anyway :)

I thought AMD phased out 754 months ago (Y) It seams theyve taken a complete U turn (Y)

Yeah, how queer. I was thinking of selling mine and getting 939 to make it more future-proof. But now I won't. Although when s754 came out, AMD did say it was going to be a standard for years. I don't see why though, why not just keep 939 and make budget chips for that?

Seams strange because 754 has some flaws compaired to 939.  But will the cheap semprons for 754 ever go faster than the last 939 chip.  Chances are unlikely.  And i thought amd were keeping the 939 socket well into the X2 chips.

I guess it depends how long they keep using the 754 platform. There must be some reason, perhaps 754 is cheaper to make?