Onza Team On Blue Peter

Mike Poyzer @ Onza

so im guessing they watched blue peter and learned about pedal hopping.

Nah, the only thing they said *I think* was just about trackstanding, and Ashley gave a really weird talk about how to do it. "Have you pedals level, crouch down really low, and stare at one point."

Did well as it was on TV though I guess...

I think Waynio and crew's one was better last time. 3rd time there's been trials on Blue Peter to my knowledge!

:(-->

QUOTE(danny B @ Oct 5 2005, 06:08 PM)
My brother is only 12 how many of you lot were that good at that age?
I think I could just about wheelie at that age :sleeping: Seriously Ash is pretty good compared to a lot of people on here and he is only 12. When he's a bit older and bulked up a bit, he'll be a beast.

It was really quite shite. Like mark said, the camera angles were crap. It was only 5 minutes of practise. Anyway i recorded it on my computer (i hope). so i will cut it down and put it up on a video sever tomorrow for all those people who missed it.

Joel (Y)

It's all good publicity for the sport - plenty of kids will have gone out into the street to try some things out. I remember being monster inspired having seen Ashton on Record Breakers. Must have been a bit nerve wracking, all those cameras and that...

(Y)-->

QUOTE(danny B @ Oct 5 2005, 06:08 PM)

Can't comment on Ashley's abilities because I haven't seen him ride, but I started when I was 17, and most of us made do with the bikes we could (ill) afford at the time and had little or no parental support... or maybe it was just me, sniff...

:D-->

QUOTE(danny B @ Oct 5 2005, 06:50 PM)

yeh the publicity is being used to get the women.

...but luckily I didn't need my bike to get girls for me.

It's all good publicity for the sport - plenty of kids will have gone out into the street to try some things out. I remember being monster inspired having seen Ashton on Record Breakers. Must have been a bit nerve wracking, all those cameras and that...

:P--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danny B @ Oct 5 2005, 06:08 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Can't comment on Ashley's abilities because I haven't seen him ride, but I started when I was 17, and most of us made do with the bikes we could (ill) afford at the time and had little or no parental support... or maybe it was just me, sniff...

:angry:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danny B @ Oct 5 2005, 06:50 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

yeh the publicity is being used to get the women.

...but luckily I didn't need my bike to get girls for me.

I know where you are coming from. When I first started a couple of years ago most riders had to start on xc bikes converted slightly for trials ie lowering the seat, tweaking the brakes, lowering tyre pressure etc. Now kids seem to get fancy bikes bought for them and start off with loads of support from other riders which I suppose is all good, but it pisses me off when you see really good riders struggling to afford good parts then some 10 year old comes along with a mod bike worth over £1000 and cant ride for shit, but his daddy bought it for him. They dont really know what trials is about those types.

Before you make assumptions this was in no way aimed at ashley butler as he is a good rider, especially for his age. :) I was just making a point in general, ah the old skool days. :turned:

So you have to wait till you are of a reasonble standard before you can buy a nice bike??

Seems a little stupid to me. Before you start, I had to buy my first bike, and I saved up £700 and bought a ddg shooter with maguras and stuff. If you can afford a nice bike, and you want a nice bike, then I would buy a nice bike. If you cant really afford a nice bike then buy whatever you can afford and ride that, if your not happy with it then you can save up.

Well off topic as well.

So has anyone got some clips from it yet?

Sorry, no clips included with this contribution... as far as bikes go, I can see what scunnytrials means. I don't think there's anything wrong with kids getting the best bikes they (or their parents) can afford, but at the same time a good bike won't make you a good rider. Just look at how well Tim Steadman rode on that Saracen he had... massive heavy steel forks and all that.

A good bike will only do so much for you, and all this worrying over every mm/degree of wheelbase/fork length/stem/chainstay in the hope of hopping that bit higher is all bollocks if you ask me. There's no substitute for good hard practice.

Of course a good bike wont make you good, and I suppose some people do think that. But if I was just getting into trials now, at the age of 19 I would buyu what I liked and think looked cool and rode well. Then learn on that. I wouldnt expect to then go on a group ride or something and then get bitched about cos I cant tap 50 inches. Its like you have to achieve a certain level before you can then get a better bike.

People can ride awsome on crap bikes, and I think thats one of the awsome things about trials, and I think it was Brant richards or something that said "... thats the thing with trials, its already unplugged. Only trials riders can ride trials..."

Its all about your skill, but then we all know that some bikes are better for some things than others. You shouldnt be limited to what bike you can buy by your skill, only by your wallet.

I also think people are progressing better because of all the good trials frames availble now a days.

when you get older and better and wiser to things a good bike "Helps" but it doesnt make you the rider thats in yourself. at a younger age the riders struggle more as they have to do twice as much work to shift the bike around personally i think that young ash is a cracking rider and for his age and ability there is probably no one that is any where near him. he must have alot of confidence and obviosly has alot of help from his big brother :turned: :P

Waynio.......................

purely i only posted from rteading the end of the topic where people were saying about a good bike making you better, i found this year that a good bike does help but its mainly in ability and more than anything top of the pops really is "Confidence" dont go worrying about things and you'll be right.............i never worry bout things nower days as the worst that can happen is end up in hospital and to me that wouldnt really be a super bad thing. most people will disagree but id rather injure myself doing a 15ft drop than walking around the house being clumsey............a rep for a big bike company does extreme MTB'in and broke his foot, chasing the kids!!!! hahahahaha. not kids on the street just his own personal kids :)

Sorry, no clips included with this contribution... as far as bikes go, I can see what scunnytrials means. I don't think there's anything wrong with kids getting the best bikes they (or their parents) can afford, but at the same time a good bike won't make you a good rider. Just look at how well Tim Steadman rode on that Saracen he had... massive heavy steel forks and all that.

A good bike will only do so much for you, and all this worrying over every mm/degree of wheelbase/fork length/stem/chainstay in the hope of hopping that bit higher is all bollocks if you ask me. There's no substitute for good hard practice.

Good to see you understand what Im saying, Im not one for starting arguments and like I said it wasnt aimed at anyone, just a trials point in general. Little kids with nice bikes who cant ride (not saying every little kid is crap, because thats not true) give the sport a bad image, at least thats what its like round where I live. People who watch us riding on the street or at competitions wont understand what trials is and wont appreciate the skill involved, they will just think that trials bike are a fashion and next it could be scooters or skateboards. Yet when they see dedicated riders like me and my mates they will perhaps appreciate what trials is about and why we do it.

i dident see it, cos of collage lol any one record it ??

It was really quite shite. Like mark said, the camera angles were crap. It was only 5 minutes of practise. Anyway i recorded it on my computer(i hope). so i will cut it down and put it up on a video sever tomorrow for all those people who missed it.

Joel :turned:

:)

It was really quite shite. Like mark said, the camera angles were crap. It was only 5 minutes of practise. Anyway i recorded it on my computer (i hope). so i will cut it down and put it up on a video sever tomorrow for all those people who missed it.

Joel :P

Are there any clips being done yet?? I missed the first bit, is all.... (Y)

Liss xxx